Precise Puppy question

Using applications, configuring, problems
Hetejas

Precise Puppy question

#1 Post by Hetejas »

Is there a way, or how can I make desktop icons from commonly used tasks which I normally launch by rt-click, select.
Particularly Gparted,

thanks

rolf

#2 Post by rolf »

I just googled for this for my Precise on usb key and the following worked for me:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=298537

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

WhoDo's how2 pretty much covers it for standard pups - drag'n'drop a dotdesktop from /usr/share/applications (rox-filer window) to the desktop (rox pinboard). The shortcut can be used as an app launcher ~or~ you can drag'n'drop files to it and if appropriate they'll open in the app.

You can edit the shortcut's label to remove the .desktop extension. Mostly dotdesktop files 'show' their correct icon in a rox window even with thumbnails disabled - occasionally a generic is used (like for isomaster) but hunting down the proper icon is not all that hard. Sometimes you need to use a full path if you edit the dotdesktop's Icon=<name-of-app>.png/xpm line if the icon is not in a 'standard' location.

@Hetejas
You also have a topic there in the Derivatives section, possibly it might fit better (and get some response) here in this section :idea:

Hetejas

#4 Post by Hetejas »

:D You're right 'f00.

I wondered where it went. :oops:

And the desktop items worked wonderfully.