Precise Puppy window sizes

Using applications, configuring, problems
Hetejas

Precise Puppy window sizes

#1 Post by Hetejas »

The windows that popup when I start apps like Install, the Calendar, Browser, etc. are a tad too big vertically and I would like to make them smaller by default. The buttons on the bottom of a window are 3/4 off of the screen and it's a hassle to resize the window so I can access the buttons.
So, is there something that I can't find that allows me to adjust the window sizes ?
I can't find it.

thanks

tytower

Re: Precise Puppy window sizes

#2 Post by tytower »

Hetejas wrote:So, is there something that I can't find that allows me to adjust the window sizes ? I can't find it. thanks
I guess theres lots you can't find and probably lots you won't find but you will never ever find if you never ever look.

Personally I find this a problem sometimes too. I suspect that each program you run is responsible for setting the size of its opening window. Additionally some distributions offer a standard set of window sizes to developers from which to choose and I think I have seen that somewhere for GNU .

I have also seen that in some cases if you resize the window to suit you and then choose its close option , when you reopen it your new page size has been saved in its configuration file. This should be standard procedure in all programs but sometimes isn't.

It may be that if you can find the configuration file for the program you are running ,open it as a text file and read through ,it might set the page size there. Config files are often in your home directory as hidden dot files (.something.conf)

More experienced members here will probably be able to help you more.

Also I think it better to just make a blank post to your thread rather than make two posts. I just type in it "bump"

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86188

personally I go down the full page when I come look at unanswered posts. Duplicate posts are frowned upon in most forums cause you could end up with answers all over the place

`f00

#3 Post by `f00 »

tytower has the gist proper.

For a calendar/daybook like osmo, it may help to specify smaller fonts to reduce the size of the window (or change other things in osmo's configs).

Also the old fallback for moving a window (Alt+leftclickdrag) is a quick workaround for windows that have their size hardcoded, to get to those buttons that are off the display.

Happy Hunting :)