Wary saves the day

Promote Puppy !
James C

Wary saves the day

#1 Post by James C »

Due to some equipment failures my normal high-speed DSL connection is down for a few days (equipment should be here Tuesday) so I'm temporarily stuck using dialup.
First task........finding a box with a dialup modem. :) All of my newer machines have none but I grabbed an old P3 off the shelf,hooked the phone line into the modem and was almost ready.
Said machine had full installs of Stardust ,Lucid 525 and an older Macpup .......none of which would even detect the modem.
Grabbed a Wary 522 cd that was handy,booted up live and just a few clicks later the modem was detected and connected to the internet.Quick and easy. :)
Never had tried any Puppy on dialup before and it was impressive how easy the process was.
All the users still on dialup internet are a good reason to keep Wary going strong.Kudos to Barry K.

Lucid Retro also detects most dial-up modems too ....ready for my high speed connection back though. :lol:

tytower

#2 Post by tytower »

Precise 5.4.2 seems to do a pretty good job of it too

Monsie

Wary saves the day

#3 Post by Monsie »

Unfortunately, the modem on my P III running Wary was only supported in the older kernels... 2.4x :shock: If I had to revert to dial-up, I would probably have success with either a usb modem or a true hardware based modem rather than the winmodem that was typical for this vintage of computer.

Out of curiosity, James C, what brand/model of modem do you have for your old system? I'm thinking it might be useful information for those persons who (like yourself) might need to use a dial-up connection as a back-up or temporary measure. Furthermore... do we have a list of known modems that work with Wary and the older Puppies?

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

Monsie wrote:
Furthermore... do we have a list of known modems that work with Wary and the older Puppies?
Did some testing with the Intel 536EP back in March; results posted here.

Also, read closely the last paragraph of rerwin's first post here.
(from early 2009, when Puppy 4-series was current)