Official SFS for desktops

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
lvds

Official SFS for desktops

#1 Post by lvds »

Hi everyone, and Barry (hope you read me) :-)

The idea was written here but have been thought of for many years :oops:
I think we should submit Barry the idea to release the desktops sfs each time a new release is out. By reading the forum in the past months many people have been searching their favorite desktop sfs, with more or less luck.

Jejy69 made a wonderful work by releasing its sfs for precise but they were losts in a crash disk.

Carolina is a wonderful work on Xfce desktop but it's a complete woof build based on Racy for PAE kernels ; I have not seen a .SFS for XFCE or maybe I'm wrong ?

The idea would be to release a .SFS for each desktop so that anyone could apply to its favorite official release, choose PAE or non PAE, without having to re-invent the wheel each time and save a lot of time. Moreover, only a very small elite people are able to build these SFS desktop files.
For instance, when Puppy precise 5.5 is released, the users would have the choice (the same day would be great) to use xfce.sfs or kde.sfs or ice.sfs or whatever.

And we could update the desktops, independently from the official release, so if a puppy is released and at same time we have KDE.4.9.sfs, later we could apply KDE.4.10.sfs without need for a remaster of the whole ppuy... and that would simplify the tests for each releases too...

Many linux distributions release their distribution with different desktop flavors, so that would help puppy go mainstream too.

Best regards

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

That's a good idea! I like that. Then there's more to choose from than JWM, OpenBox, and sometimes IceWM, none of which I like to any great degree.

R-S-H

#3 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Yes, that's surely on of the MAIN good ideas of the century!

Please, could you build an Unity SFS for each Puppy release of the -hm, let's say: last 10 years? :lol:

Would be best done by one of the official Puppy Developers? :lol:

And, oh, by the way:

Could you please add some modifications so, that I would be able to use the Unity SFS in STEem, which I do use in all of my Puppies! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: I really would appreciate this very much! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

---

Why trying to increase the size of used RAM by adding useful applications, if it can simply be done by adding bloat onto the poor small Puppies back? :wink:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

:roll:

Going forward with NEW releases, R-S-H. Besides, it's a suggestion. If you don't like it, don't help implement it.

akash_rawal

#5 Post by akash_rawal »

lvds wrote:
The idea would be to release a .SFS for each desktop so that anyone could apply to its favorite official release, choose PAE or non PAE, without having to re-invent the wheel each time and save a lot of time.
That's a nice idea, but it isn't so easy.

Puppy has a lot of rox stuff hardcoded, means many scripts need to be adjusted for things to get integrated with the new desktop environment.

I'd suggest a common package (or woof patch?) that will remove the hardcoded rox stuff. Then setting up a new desktop would only be a little more than compiling and installing.

I use lxde with all puppies I have, and currently I hardcode lxde stuff in wmpoweroff, wmreboot, etc. scripts which isn't the right way. Ideally we need something modular, reusable, and easy to adjust.

simargl

#6 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

lvds

#7 Post by lvds »

akash_rawal wrote:
lvds wrote:
The idea would be to release a .SFS for each desktop so that anyone could apply to its favorite official release, choose PAE or non PAE, without having to re-invent the wheel each time and save a lot of time.
That's a nice idea, but it isn't so easy.

Puppy has a lot of rox stuff hardcoded, means many scripts need to be adjusted for things to get integrated with the new desktop environment.
Yes, that's why I thought it would be good to have Barry implied somewhere on this, so we can have the main release puppy (jwm/rox) somehow modular...

I know "it's a job", something difficult, but we all would benefit A LOT from this change ! :-)

Best regards

akash_rawal

#8 Post by akash_rawal »

I suggest this model.

There could be directory /usr/libexec/deskenv. This will further contain one directory for each desktop environment e.g. /usr/libexec/deskenv/jwm, /usr/libexec/deskenv/lxde, ...

This directory will then contain scripts like start and stop for starting and terminating desktop environment.

Further it will contain fm_opendir, fm_closedir and some other scripts for handling the file manager. These scripts will be used by /usr/local/bin/defaultfiler.

This can enable flawless integration with current desktop environment e.g. if user switches from lxde to gnome, puppy scripts will use nautilius instead of pcmanfm without any user intervention other than exiting X and typing xwin gnome

An example for lxde might look like:

/usr/libexec/deskenv/lxde/start:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec startlxde
/usr/libexec/deskenv/lxde/stop:

#!/bin/sh
#killall startlxde doesn't work here, that's why I suggested this
killall lxsession
/usr/libexec/deskenv/lxde/fm_opendir:

#!/bin/sh
#Usage: fm_opendir /path/to/dir
exec pcmanfm -n "$1"
etc.

I will try this shortly, but I think this would be better done by someone who knows woof well I think.

akash_rawal

#9 Post by akash_rawal »

I made a crude and simple implementation of the above model on slacko 5.5.

I have attached the modified files. All edits are marked with "###". The changes are backwards compatible, means you can launch window managers in the old way too.

That's all I can do, I now leave this to other experts here. They know exactly what improvements/enhancement to make as they have more knowledge than I will ever have.
Attachments
pup_deskenv_slacko550_impl.tar.gz
Implementation for the model on slacko 5.5. Contains modified files plus required scripts
(5.25 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
pup_deskenv_lxde.tar.gz
Example for LXDE (Use xwin lxde to start LXDE using this)
(509 Bytes) Downloaded 557 times

oui

#10 Post by oui »

Hm simargl
simargl wrote:I'm almost 100% sure Barry won't do this, he loves JWM/Rox so much
I read this sentence as a kind of critic. But it is not right! What is Puppy? An adult Dog? Or an hybrid between dog and elephant?

We did have Puppy's with a number and kind of applications very analogue to them from today under 30 Mb in 2003/2004 (!), or with reduced number of applications but able to surf on the web in a great graphic browser with unter 12 Mb (see old messages of MU, he did come back to visit us in the last days on the German forum). We did have Puppy's with all his scope of usual applications able to run completely from CD-RW with dismonted (or defect) hard disk without USB: an extremely little OS and a lot of capacity on the CD-RW for the user!

This was long years the soul of Puppy...

And this require choices.

Our problem today is that each one wants to make Puppy different. Else great distros as Debian can't offer that. Separate groups develop different versions; common is only the depository.

What is your real problem with JWM or Rox (or Seamonkey, the goodies of Puppy known by all old Puppy users)?

Do they not work correctly?

In the 2..4 first years did Puppy also have other file managers (and browsers as well as X system: initially did Puppy use Xvesa as standard and have to spend now a lot of mega byte of fat to continue to support Xorg!), but with Rox and Xorg, Puppy did make a spring in higher quality.I find, that Barry did make here very good long term choices. What is your problem if the long years experimented new Puppy met 2 decisions making the difference with elephantic systems like Slackware, Suse, Debian, Redhat (to name only the older in age of them). Puppy itself did come from Slackware; the difference was that Puppy was extremely tiny (not as small as Basic Linux, baslin, also coming from Slackware, and offering a graphic linux system on only two floppy discs; both were initially very comparable, in the same group, baslin on bottom and puppy on top. but puppy was not being as baslin only an absolutely minimal system - baslin offers only one real graphic application: a calculator, but the comfort to make possible to work at the same time in a lot of windows and to copy from the one into an other). The old Puppy's did yet offer a complete graphic environment:

the power of Puppy was that a lot of people didn't make at all more activity in Slackware oder MS-Windows as in Puppy :lol: . Surf on the web, phone and chat through the internet, calculate somewhat (including personal budget or other really complex calculations), write a letter, draw a attractive picture, manage the calendar, record a sound and a lot of other jobs, that is more as that you can do with the complete base scope of delivery from commercial MS Windows and in higher comfort and quality! Puppy did make that years along on a check card CD with only 50 MB.

A lot of people does only surf on the web (or play as on a play station) with her PC (see concept from MU: a only-surfing-Puppy with only 10..12 mb, two releases were proposed)!

I use daily a Puppy with KDE. About 2 years along Quirky 120 and the big kdenlive.sfs including KDE 4, and now since it did be published the spanish-english puplet from Josep24x24. Why? Only because I need daily to print out land maps as a snapshot (in Seamonkey the print routine changes the zoom or the zoom is really hard to control to print out in nord - south direction as the screens are not square beeing better to print out in west - east direction). Kde is the only one easy way I now outside MS-Windows to change 90 degree the screen direction needed in north - south direction without changing of the resolution! And the Puplet from Josep24x24 starts very fast, very faster as full installed KDE from other distributions!

It is nonsens to require from a tiny distribution it has to offer the same as a complete slackware, being her origin, or Debian, with more than 30.000 packages in depository for each release...

It is my opinion...

Kind regards

oui

very old Puppy versions

#11 Post by oui »

on the basis of this discussion, I looked up my old CD's

and see that I have versions of old goodies being yet able to start on new PC's:

this one was a very special version of Puppy 2.0:

only 98 MB with integrated Open Office (little window right at the bottom). browsers are dillo and opera.

it was yet possible to connect the internet through the LAN, open my mail box (refusing that old browser with the comment «but you can try it using the next link» etc.) to get links, and upload the picture of the screen snapshot :lol:

The USB mouse did work (else it was not official supported, usb mouse support did come with later versions, probably 2.08 .. 2.10)

I have more CD starting with not working because of the usb mouse.

Micro Muppy 01 (one of both micro Puppys from MU) year 2007

full Puppy on CD-RW (Puppy 1.05?) not needing some HD at all

Puppy 0.4 20 MB :idea:
Puppy 0.6 23 MB (I can remember that I did use it daily)
Puppy 0.74 (I did write on the CD: first Puppy with DHCP = Samba, but I can remember that it did not work on my PC :? )
Puppy 1.4 50 MB (probably special version trimed for check card size CD)
Puppy 2.02 50 MB (really special version trimed for check card size CD)
Puppy 2alpha (did have the last numero in the list of Puppy of the 1.n generation, my lovely Puppy, used month and month along, February 2006)

Puppy 2.10 containing, it is not usual in my old CD's, 2 ISO files:
puppy_2.10r1_seamonkey.iso, and
lfslivecd_x86_6_2_3.iso
as well as devx_210.sfs and
t2_6_0_puppy_2_10.tar + x11r7_tar.bz2 as well as a lot of development's files
probably enough to re begin to develop for this old version in nostalgic manner.

I will try to find an old PC with 486 to start the most old Puppy's and try to get more print screens (or photographies from screen)!

lvds

STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE

#12 Post by lvds »

?!? :shock: Stay on topic please !

oui

Re: STAY ON TOPIC PLEASE

#13 Post by oui »

lvds wrote:?!? :shock: Stay on topic please !
that ist that lvds!

you find your suggestion interesting but it is silly dilly:

all above puppy have the classic presentation of a real Puppy: the same as on my little snapshot:

you want to wring the poor Puppy stuff as long as it become not be a Puppy any more because you add code and code for absolutely not needed new function not offered by the biggest distributions...

Puppy has long been a chubby and sick puppy under such impulsions requiring transform it heavily.

lvds

#14 Post by lvds »

oui wrote:
that ist that lvds!

all above puppy have the classic presentation of a real Puppy: the same as on my little snapshot:

you want to wring the poor Puppy stuff as long as it become not be a Puppy any more because you add code and code for absolutely not needed new function not offered by the biggest distributions...

Puppy has long been a chubby and sick puppy under such impulsions requiring transform it heavily.
:shock: How can you say this when so many people are working each month to improve the desktop experience ! Everyone is working hard, from newcomers to veterans, Toopy, Jejy69 and many others to build new desktops, some works better than others but everyone is trying hard ! We need some modularity in the base puppy so we integrate easily the developpers works and move from one desktop another without recompiling / rebuilding / remastering new pupplets ! This is just pure reason. We need some way to give mainstream users easier access to the desktops the devs are working so hard on.

If you don't agree with the idea, stay off the topic and don't disgust others.

oui

#15 Post by oui »

lvds wrote:How can you say this when so many people are working each month to improve the desktop experience !
Desktops are as useful as curlers in the head of a lover's girl... Puppy has JWM, the most tiny desktop (*1 since years because Puppy is the most tiny from all great Linux distributions working well with about all PC's...

(*1 180 kB!!! for all! Windows management, extremely flexible tray management, background picture management, start program management, icone management, keyboard entries management etc. ...

R-S-H

#16 Post by R-S-H »

lvds wrote:
oui wrote:
that ist that lvds!

:shock: How can you say this when so many people are working each month to improve the desktop experience ! Everyone is working hard, from newcomers to veterans, Toopy, Jejy69 and many others to build new desktops, some works better than others but everyone is trying hard ! We need some modularity in the base puppy so we integrate easily the developpers works and move from one desktop another without recompiling / rebuilding / remastering new pupplets ! This is just pure reason. We need some way to give mainstream users easier access to the desktops the devs are working so hard on.

If you don't agree with the idea, stay off the topic and don't disgust others.
Hi.

Just want to make clear: I don't want to hurt anyone, it's just the way I talk to my people when it comes to the bloated desktops. Really, I do appreciate the work done on MacPup or LXPup f.e. and they're working very well and looking also very fine - it's just me: I don't need it.

But because of the nice look of MacPup and LXPup I did add some LazY Puppy comfort to these Operating Systems and build new remasters. Some of you might know, that I'm giving away USB flash drives with LazY Puppy installed (to friends, on birthdays etc.pp.). Because of my people also do like the bloated desktops, the MacPup and also the LXPup remasters are now used for these give away USB flash drives!
simargl wrote:@R-S-H
Here is unofficial Unity repository for Arch
http://pkgbuild.com/~bgyorgy/ayatana/os/i686/

off course with unity-lens-shopping-6.8.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.xz
Thanks for the Link. I was just kidding. I really don't need this!

RSH

backi

#17 Post by backi »

HI !

Here is a new E17 Enlightenment Desktop Pet from pemasu working fine for me on Precise puppy 5.5.9 .
Did not made an Sfs file from it so dont know if and how it works as Sfs file .

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71058

R-S-H

#18 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.

Window Manager e17 running in my Osiris Studio (LazY Puppy Derivative). Did need to make a few modifications for the use of LazY Puppy Shutdown-GUI. Seems to work well.

I did install into the OS running a save file. I will try to add this to a remaster because I think this can not be used from SFS (maybe it will work if the SFS is loaded at boot up) - install message is saying: needs to reboot before puppy will use the libraries in /opt.

RSH
Attachments
image-2.jpg
Window Manager e17 running in my Osiris Studio which is a LazY Puppy derivative (300MB all Audio Applications installed)
(42.06 KiB) Downloaded 778 times

backi

#19 Post by backi »

Hi RHS !

Like your interest for E17 .
Its my number one .

Want to ask you is there a chance for downloading Your OSIRIS STUDIO iso ,
or is it just a privat experiment ?

Cheers ..keep on rocking ..!

gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

I dont know if this is useful at all, but if it is, run with it.

KNOPPIX, for years, has offered the selection on the desktop as a boot-time option. Would this be something which could/would ever be employed in the Puppy world?

I truly understand that the distro build would have to offer it AND I truly understand the storage impact on the ISO. But, ISO size is merely the things needed to boot the system...NOT what is actually running in the system. So, as such, there will be those where a larger ISO would not be recieved warmly merely because of the download impact..

But for those where this would NOT be a hardship, an ISO offering these options (or someone offering a USB/DVD) this might actually work.

Also, Knoppix offers an additional option at boot-time ... boot a 32bit version or boot the 64bit version. This too, could provide some very interesting possibility in Puppyland, too.

Can this kind of packaging technique(s) work in Puppyland?