Too long "Searching for Puppy files"

Booting, installing, newbie
Peakeen

#21 Post by Peakeen »

Previously I reported the boot time was slashed if I removed the vmlinuz symbolic link from / in the Ubuntu partition. When I wanted to use Ubuntu I simply restored the link.

Now I have found the Ubuntu doesn't need the link to boot since grub.cfg points at the actual vmlinuz kernel in /boot so I have just deleted the link and everything works.

I'd still appreciate someone who understands these things better than I do (not difficult!) explaining what is happening. Why should the existence of Ubuntu's vmlinuz affect the Puppy boot process?

sfeeley: I am still using unetbootin. I tried the universal installer when you suggested it before but it made no difference.

Pelo

List of puppy saves found

#22 Post by Pelo »

My question is : when PPPY list the save files found, i would like to be informed not only where the saves are, but the size too, ....the free size too !
Is that possible ?

And why ? Because some saves are quite empty, i will make them work a little bit, as we cannot reduce them !
Attachments
PUPSFS.jpg
(39.15 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

Mercedes350se

#23 Post by Mercedes350se »

Try specifying exactly the path to where your Puppy vmlinuz and initrd.gz files are rather than just:

Code: Select all

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash
append initrd=initrd.gz 
HTH.