Easy Online Updater (EOU by RSH & contributors)

Miscellaneous tools
ASRI éducation

#21 Post by ASRI éducation »

R-S-H wrote:I'm currently not working on this here. Didn't you tell me in one of your last pm's that you couldn't get access to your repository using LazY FReD? So, LazY FReD and the Easy Online Updater are using exactly the same code to search for files on the web server. Which means, you wouldn't get acces to your repository using the Easy Online Updater as well.
Because of that fact I assumed you wouldn't be interested in this here anymore.
Did you solve this? How?
Is there still a need for any updated version?
Hello RSH
Sorry for my lack of response, I was busy.

1 - I'm not interested in your utility only for my simple self-interest. I think this handy application could/should be part of Puppy.
2 - Yes, with puplet ASRIedu, I can not use LazyFred (that is incompatible with sourceforge). Fortunately, web scripts are not hosted on the same server, so I have no problem with EOU!
3 - I think an update of your script would be interesting for users, so I allow myself to send you some suggestions via PM.

Cordialement,

R-S-H

#22 Post by R-S-H »

Informations on changes in Easy Online Updater 0.6.5
Added some suggestions by ASRI Education (since he'd already made the changes, I just did replace those files)

Also the MakePET4WebUpdates 1.0.1 (creates now md5sum file to the created PET)

Download and Info here!
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy Home
The new LazY Puppy Information Centre[/url][/b]

ASRI éducation

#23 Post by ASRI éducation »

R-S-H wrote:Easy Online Updater 0.6.5
Thank you RSH !

ASRI éducation

#24 Post by ASRI éducation »

ASRI éducation wrote:I thought the icon "EOU" is displayed in the taskbar only when an update was available.

The utility should only appear when: internet connection is functional and that updates are available.

If the Internet connection is not ok, or if no update is available, the utility EOU should not occur.
Hello RSH,
Currently, I am testing EOU to integrate it into the next official versions Francophones (Toutou Linux).
I find something wrong with the 0.6.5 release.

Normally, the EOU utility should only occur if : internet connection is functional and updates are available.

But this is not the case.
Currently, the taskbar and the main GUI appears to indicate that no update is available.

If you have time to check the script ...

Sincerely,

R-S-H

#25 Post by R-S-H »

Aaahhhhh no, not again this application! :twisted:

It's the one and only application that I've written but of course can not use by myself, because: I'm creating the update packages. :evil:

And it seems never ever to end creating new work for me. :twisted:

Ok, I will have a look at this tonight, but beware of, I might be going back to 0.6.4. if it will create too much work for me to do.

RSH

R-S-H

#26 Post by R-S-H »

Ok.

Version 0.6.6 uploaded!

Changed line 58 in lazy-auto-update-tray-app:

Code: Select all

export INSUPDATE="$APPDIR/downloaded_list"  ## list of already downloaded updates
to

export INSUPDATE="$APPDIR/installed_list"  ## list of already installed updates
Autostart Tray Application doesn't seem to appear in the System Tray when no updates are available. The main gui still appears on the desktop, because this was wanted by ASRI Education to keep the user able to change settings inside the gui, even if there are no updates available - so, not changed (please keep this in mind!)

---

Please, note:

I'm so tired of this application, I don't want to make any further work on this. If there is anything else not working like as it may be your wishes: please do try to solve this by yourself.

I would like to see this application either installed and running in a Puppy or burned and buried!

Thanks for your understanding of my point of view (I'm tired of this, sorry).

RSH

ASRI éducation

#27 Post by ASRI éducation »

Hello RSH,
R-S-H wrote:Aaahhhhh no, not again this application! :twisted:

It's the one and only application that I've written but of course can not use by myself, because: I'm creating the update packages. :evil:
Like you, I did not need EOU to keep updating my personal computer.
But I still think that for many users, a utility to update the OS, is essential.
EOU has the advantage of providing a simple and practical solution for the user.
That is why I proposed to esmourguit to integrate in the new French versions (Toutou Linux, Rolx et Wolx).
When I suggest to someone to use an application (especially if it is to integrate it into an iso). Before I take the time to test.
This explains my comments and my various proposals...

R-S-H wrote:And it seems never ever to end creating new work for me. :twisted:
This is usually the penalty for good scripts, it is regularly updated. Bad scripts are simply forgotten.

R-S-H wrote:Ok, I will have a look at this tonight, but beware of, I might be going back to 0.6.4. if it will create too much work for me to do.
I do not think this is related to the 0.6.5 release.
Malfunction of which I speak was probably present before. I had not noticed because I forgot to test one of the features (see below).

For future Toutou Linux Wolx (currently in RC version), I set EOU to it on automatically at startup.
Obviously, now the RC version offers no update.
This disrupts the EOU utility that appears in the task bar and offers to download '0 mises à jour' (cf. screenshot).

Today, I have tested again EOU with different versions of Puppy (precise, wary, racy, lucid) .
All tests were performed in LiveCD without pupsave (pfix = ram).
In order to simulate the lack of update, I changed the file update-url

NEWSERVER="http://smokey01.com/RSH/LazY-Puppy/"
INFSERVER="http://smokey01.com/RSH/LazY-Puppy/Updates/"
The results are identical to those obtained with Wolx.
Attachments
eou065_noupdate.jpg
(66.9 KiB) Downloaded 369 times

R-S-H

#28 Post by R-S-H »

Ok.

Remove the tray application... :arrow:

Don't use Easy Online Updater... :idea:

Whatever you like to do with that application - or even not... :?:

...I'm done! :!:

RSH

P.S.
stu91 to version 0.6.0 wrote:Hi R-S-H
testing stand alone the updated tray app included in your The Easy Online Updater 0.6.0 works for me on Exprimo puppy - it downloaded two update .pets and two .txt files to /root/Downloads and echos downloaded pets to /usr/local/LazY-Automated-Update/downloaded_list file - as all current updates are now downloaded the tray app doesn't show in the system tray again until new updates are available on the server but that is how it is supposed to be.
Maybe we should have been sticky with version 0.6.0! 8)

I will check what version is used/updated in LazY Puppy and go back to 0.6.0 (if I'll find a .pet on my local drives) - and then I will present the LazY Puppy users the first ever in computer history offered downgrade-update! :idea:

For the Easy Online Updater! :!:

Btw:

The firewall icon appears also in the system tray - even if there's no internet connection activated. So, tell me: really, where is the problem, what's the issue on this to make it needed to waste always more and more time on this?

Did anyone ever complained about the firewall icon in the system tray, when not connected to the web?

NO!

However: finished!

I don't do any work on this here anymore.

Want to maintain it?

DO IT!

It's all Open Source, and as you might have noticed: it's already your thread! :lol:

RSH

ASRI éducation

#29 Post by ASRI éducation »

OK RSH, I accept your proposals (although, I confess, I do not understand why you do not want to 'sublime' your application).

I will try to provide an update.
This may pose a problem, because if I change your script, I might confuse users Lazzy Puppy (which, if I understand, use v0.6.0).
To avoid this problem, I can possibly propose a new name for the script. However, I do not like this possibility because you are the real author of script EOU.

I'll try to find a solution to provide an update of your script without confuse users.

To be continued ...
Sincerely,

R-S-H

#30 Post by R-S-H »

Hi.
This may pose a problem, because if I change your script, I might confuse users Lazzy Puppy (which, if I understand, use v0.6.0).
I don't think so. LazY Puppy users are usually updated by the Easy Online Updater and they should already know, not to install programs published in different forums that are already installed in LazY Puppy. Updates to these programs are either posted in the LazY Puppy threads (de & en) or offered by Easy Online Updater.

Also: we can not prevent anyone from anything and I do not intend to prevent the users to make their own faults - it's a hard and a smart way to learn!
To avoid this problem, I can possibly propose a new name for the script. However, I do not like this possibility because you are the real author of script EOU.
Never mind!

You are allowed to do what's your need. What is not covered by the GPL will be covered by my special permission to you and any other Puppy Linux developer for the use of this one script!

Change its Name, modify it as you like, remove my Name from the scripts code (but keep stu90's for the tray app) ---> whatever you (developers) like to do with this one script: DO IT!
To be continued ...
Yes, I would like to see this!

---

Note:

I've been working, coding and posting a whole lot of stuff from 05.09.2011 (my joining date to the forum) until today. Some of this stuff is pretty cool and also quite new - but, you all have to keep in mind: I'm just a beginner in Puppy Linux and Linux generally!!!

I can go to a specific point, but beyond this point I'm helpless and lost. So, it's up to the experts or to people with more knowledge in doing these Puppy Linux things to grab the really useful tools and to bring up them to a more or less perfect state.

Actually and currently I just want to do two things: playing Drums and composing - using my Version 3 of LazY Puppy. When I do find the time and also the need to do some coding, it's just for my personal needs and not longer translated to English language.

I've spend approximately 18 months of my life (mostly full time and beyond :lol: ) to build LazY Puppy and to do different works for the Puppy Linux community - because I've had the time. By now: I don't have such an amount of time available for doing Puppy Linux things - except for my own needs.

Also: I'm not just and still a beginner. I'm nearly 50 years old (six months to go) and I'm convinced, the future of Puppy Linux is not in the hands of this here nearly 50 year old Puppy Linux Newbie! :lol:

So, have fun using my applications (if you'll find them useful) and - if needed or wanted - modify and republish them. Theses applications as well as LazY Puppy will stay and I'll still be around searching and maybe doing a post from time to time (when I'm able to offer some help), but it's now up to others to do some work for Puppy Linux.

Salut

RSH

P.S.

Of course it is not because I don't like you. I don't know you, so I can't tell if I would like you - and for me, to like somebody or not to like somebody is not a matter of proposals or coding. It would be more based on how you would think and also act on movements like "Marriage of homosexual Persons". It has been a little disturbing what has been coming out of France on this issue the last time - but of course, I know, you're a teacher. So I do believe you are a "cool guy" in that direction. If so, I would like you, of course!

R-S-H

#31 Post by R-S-H »

ASRI éducation

#32 Post by ASRI éducation »

ASRI éducation wrote:OK RSH, I accept your proposals (although, I confess, I do not understand why you do not want to 'sublime' your application).

I will try to provide an update.

I'll try to find a solution to provide an update of your script without confuse users.

To be continued ...
Sincerely,
POU (Puppy Online Updater) is based on LazY-EsOnU (by RSH for LazY Puppy).
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86883