Can I run Puppy on USB stick on OEM "Windows 8" ?

Booting, installing, newbie
Barkin

Can I run Puppy on USB stick on OEM "Windows 8" ?

#1 Post by Barkin »

Can I run Puppy on USB stick on a laptop computer which comes with OEM "Windows 8" ?

My laptop is beginning to show its age and soon I will have to buy a replacement.

I want to have the option of dual-boot : Windows (on hard-drive) or Puppy (on USB stick),
but I have read that this may not be possible with the latest version of Windows, "Windows 8".

So what's the score ?, can I definitely run Puppy from a USB stick with Windows 8 , like I currently do with Windows Vista.

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Similar set of circumstances - would like to get 3 new laptops, one each for my daughter, granddaughter and myself.

The only certain way to ensure you own and control what you pay for - is to NOT buy anything with Win8 on it.

FatDog64-621final will boot on many of the new UEFI laptops, as the devs have provided the necessary means to enable booting on these new devices.

However, still an unnecessarily complicated process and for me not worth the hassle, unless they wish to give me the overpriced piles of parrot droppings, with their compliments.

So simple solution - DON’T buy win8, insist on win7, no OS or linux, inform the retailer why.

I will be looking for quality refurb laptops - HTH - best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Barkin

#3 Post by Barkin »

Ray MK wrote:... would like to get 3 new laptops, one each for my daughter, granddaughter and myself.
Apparently bulk-buy of Windows-7 upgrades was possible ... http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/offers/windows-7-family-pack.aspx

Hang on a mo, this says the secure-boot thingy can be disabled ...
All Windows 8 computers come with secure boot enabled by default.
Secure boot can be disabled if you like in UEFI setup, and Windows will still boot normally.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/faqs/secure-boot.html