Which Puppy is best for dial-up?

Booting, installing, newbie
den

#1 Post by den »

I am able to use Slacko Puppy 5.3.3 and 5.3.1 on my Asus eeeR051CX atom cedar trail 2 g netbook. For some reason 5.5 and 5.4 hang in boot up giving me a black screen.

I am looking for the puppy distro that has the best dial-up support and the best chance to recognise the think penguin modem or a us robotics modem. I cannot test the modem until late June so I am trying to prepare for the eventual use of the modem.

Perhaps,also, someone could suggest why some of the puppy distros do not boot on my Asus netbook. I am an "end user" and not very savvy with computers in general nor Linux in particular. However, I like the Puppy os and would prefer to stay with it instead of ubuntu (a very good os, indeed).

smokey01

Re: dial-up

#2 Post by smokey01 »

Den,

I have an Asus 1015PAE and it works fine with all Puppy distro's I have tried including Fatdog64.

What model is yours?

If I remember correctly, and I may not, Lucid Puppy had very good modem support built in.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... 28.005.iso
den wrote:I am able to use slacko puppy 5.3.3 and 5.3.1 on my asus eeeR051CX atom cedar trail 2 g netbook For some reason 5.5 and 5.4 hang in boot up giving me a black screen.
I am looking for the puppy distro that has the best dial-up support and the best chance to recognise the think penguin modem or a us robotics modem. I cannot test the modem until late june so I am trying to prepare for the eventual use of the modem.

Perhaps,also, someone could suggest why some of the puppy distros do not boot on my asus netbook. I am an "end user" and not very savy with computers in general nor linux in particular. However, I like the puppy os and would prefer to stay with it instead of ubuntu( a very good os, indeed).
Last edited by smokey01 on Mon 20 May 2013, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Sky Aisling

#3 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Den, welcome to the forum. :)

I've found that Puppy-520 works ok with dial up.
However, that is qualified by the brand of computer.

Are you aware that there is a section of the forum just for Dial Up issues?
It is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=32

Dewbie

#4 Post by Dewbie »

den wrote:
us robotics modem
Their external serial (hard) modems work with most Puppies.
(maybe even all of them...)

den

dial up support

#5 Post by den »

Thank you for the replys to my questions. Would someone please tell me if Wary 5.5 and slacko 5.5 share the exact dial up drivers repository. I find it confusing to read the various home pages for the different pups, for ex; slacko 5.4 supposedly has updated modem drivers{posted distro watch]; does that hold true for slacko 5.5? Is Wary 5.5 different with respect to dial-up or does it have the same repository for dial up drivers as slacko 5.5? In reading the dial up forum page it seems dial-up may be a hit or miss affaire with puppy linux. Which seems odd as I understand that Mr. Krauler first designed puppy for dial-up users.

I have an asus eee pc netbook with atom processor and 2g mem. I was able to boot Slacko 5.5 pae after all.

Isn't there a puppy version that is the most up-to-date, that is, includes the most complete driver repository or is this spread out among the various versions. Is there a pup version up to date generally?

US Robotics tells me that their modem no. 5637 usb works with linux? Anybody vouch for this?

Sky Aisling

#6 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Den,

I helped a friend put together a dial-up system using an old Toshiba Satellite laptop (about 9 years old).
We used Puppy-528.5 and an inexpensive Filemate USB Modem EX.
This combo worked perfect until he had a power surge and the modem acted as a breaker switch. :shock:

We then put together a another dial-up system using an old DELL Inspiron laptop (about 8 years old).
We used Puppy-520 with another Filemate USB Modem EX.
This system is working fine.
And, yes, he purchased a surge/brownout protector with this system.
His goal was to receive and send email only.

I'll leave the question about Slacko and Wary Driver Repositories for others who know that answer.

smokey01

#7 Post by smokey01 »

den, the new Precise 5.6 might be worth a try.

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00253

Dewbie

#8 Post by Dewbie »

One thing to always remember, den, is that drivers are kernel-specific.

So for example, Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and its two retro versions all have different kernels (2.6.30.5 / 2.6.25.16 / 2.6.21.7), so the modem drivers are not interchangeable.
US Robotics tells me that their modem no. 5637 usb works with linux? Anybody vouch for this?
That's a USB modem. I don't have any, but from what I understand, support for those improved later in the 4-series.

Try Precise first, as smokey01 said. And if that doesn't work, try the latest Wary and work your way backward.

Also, sometimes the drivers are there, but for some reason the modem isn't recognized and/or it just won't dial out.

den

#9 Post by den »

Thank you for the replys. I am new to puppy and so I have much to learn as to how this os works. Is it possible that my asus netbook is too new for certain puppy versions; precise pup 5.6 hangs after loading the sfs file. Classic pup 2.14X also hung after several lines of boot commands. I think that I tried Wary and it did not boot up. Can someone suggest how I may be able to boot precise puppy 5.6? It is the dial up drivers that I am looking for in precise 56. .

I understand now about the drivers and different pup kernals. Does anyone know if serial modems have a significant advantage over usb modems especially if it could be easier for pup to recognise the serial?

I am able to currently boot slackos 531, 533, 5.4 and 5.5pae

Dewbie

#10 Post by Dewbie »

den wrote:
Classic pup 2.14X also hung after several lines of boot commands.
2.14x might be too old to recognize USB modems anyway.
I think that I tried Wary and it did not boot up.
You might also try the last of the older-kernel Warys (k2.6.31.14 or k2.6.30.5, linked in CatDude's post)...

...or this, which is specifically built for the Asus eee/Atom and based on an older Puppy.
(4.3.1--I think--so it might have the drivers that you need)
Does anyone know if serial modems have a significant advantage over usb modems especially if it could be easier for pup to recognise the serial?

Yes, they do. :)

Edit: Have a look here. He has something similar to yours.