The Forum's reduction in allowable attachment size

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
mikeslr

The Forum's reduction in allowable attachment size

#1 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,

Not sure when (if) it was announced or why it went into effect. But the effect of the reduction in the size of files which can be uploaded or downloaded is both annoying and, I believe, contrary to the interests of the Puppy community.
For one thing, many attachments previously uploaded can no longer be downloaded. They were obviously uploaded to assist someone trying to solve a problem. Perhaps that problem no longer exists under the newer versions of Puppy. But examination of the uploaded file may provide a clue to solving similar problems in newer Puppy versions. Just as important, while the attachment is gone the post remains. People trying to solve a problem can find the post and waste their time because they won't know the "solution" is no longer available until they try to download the no-longer-available attachment.
The overall effect upon people newly exploring Puppy is that it appears to be an "amateurish" endeavor in the worst sense of that word.
Similarly, those of us working in collaboration to solve a problem no longer have a convenient location to exchange our efforts. To do that we have to create accounts with file hosting companies. The result is that Puppy files are scattered all over the net. Not only amateurish, but the continued existence of those files --and the help they sought to provide-- is dependent on the continued interest and efforts of the file's creator and the vagaries of a file hosting service with no particular interest in Puppy Linux.
Beyond that, if a picture is worth a thousand words, a pet file providing a simple solution must be worth at least much. I know that now rather than uploading a pet I have to provide detailed instructions on how to create one.
I can think of four reasons for the reduction: (1) The cumulative size of the Forum's files being hosted was reaching the limit permitted by the host; (2) the bandwidth used uploading and downloading files exceeded the amount permitted by the host (or now threatened to) or (3 & 4) the cost to increase space or bandwidth is more than John Murga (and perhaps others of the "administrative group") were willing to bear.
If 2 thru 4, I, for one-- and I'm certain many regular users-- would be happy to contribute toward the costs of maintaining the Forum. I would consider doing so preferable to having to set up an account with even some free hosting service every time I have some file I believe may be of help or in the interest of the Puppy community. While requiring noobs and those who can't afford it to fund file storage would not be in the interest of Puppy as a whole, perhaps the informal designation "Users/Regulars" could be formalized. For a reasonable fee, those desiring the status of Regulars would receive a password permitting the uploading of files not to exceed some reasonable size.
If the problem is 1, than perhaps culling of not only the attachments but also the threads pertaining to Puppy versions published prior to ttuuxxx's 2.14 might make sense. With wary and Classic Pup 2.14 available for older hardware, is anyone still using Puppy Versions 1 and 3, and other version 2 Puppies?

mikesLr

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

mikeslr wrote:
Not sure when (if) it was announced or why it went into effect.
Go to last month's posts here and keep reading...

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

And send John Murga a (friendly) email just to let him know we're still using the forum. :)