laptop overwrites external screen settings

Using applications, configuring, problems
Krysztau

#1 Post by Krysztau »

Little thing that bothers me:

I have old laptop with broken screen (1024x768). I have removed screen (and lots of other stuff) and plugged much bigger external monitor.

X setup said that 1920x1020 is ok for monitor may be not ok for video card. When I boot slacko 5.5 I see nice desktop, icons cover all space, taskbar on the very bottom. But when I open the window and maximise it, it will cover only top left surface of the screen (size of the laptop oryginal screen).

If I will move the window outside this "small screen zone", say, to the right and doble-click titlebar I have nice proper fullscreen, but when I will do it within the "zone" I get this small version of full screen.

I am not an expert. I tried to setup something in BIOS saying to run only in external screen mode, but notr sure if this works.

I kind of took my laptop apart, but still can connect screen backlit to see of it goes on or not. I am rather newbie with can-do attitude, so if you need some more info about laptop or whatever - tell me as well how to obtain it.

I saw this post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 86&t=84184

But I am not sure if it applies to my problem, and I don't think I fully understand the aim of author's actions...

Thanks
Chris

Bligh

#2 Post by Bligh »

Try setting the resolution at 1024x768. My laptops set the resolution to the maximum for the internal card.
Cheers

Cadejo

#3 Post by Cadejo »

I'm having this same issue. I'm going to try to dig to get this properly identified, the workaround now is to drag the window sides so that they cover the entire screen area.

However, it wrecks havoc on WINE programs.

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

I know nothing but I got much help using a program named
randr or Grander which could set the internal to one resolution
and the external to another and even shutdown the internal one
to save on the backlight.

Another crude solution was to edit the file that take care of resolution
which was very tricky so I can not retell it. Now I am on Desktop
so I don't have access to how I did that. But I have written a lot
about my total failures and then a few successes doing it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Ray MK

#5 Post by Ray MK »

Hi

Have a similar problem with my daughters laptop - my granddaughter broke the screen - so had to use an old external LCD mointor.

Tried with several puppies to adjust to correct resolution and failed.

Then I tried PreciseNOP-543 - perfect - because the Xfce desktop screen setup allows you to do what's needed. Perfect.

Another bonus is that it comes with the Opera browser - outstanding.

So guess which puppy gets used the most - thats it - preciseNOP.
HTH - best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Cadejo

#6 Post by Cadejo »

Provided are the PCI interface scan definitions and the system information for the 2. I'm not sure what to do at this point...

I'll experiment with the software listed just now. Then black-listing modules...

I'm thinking that agpgart-intel is a candidate, as it is host-bridge.
Attachments
Snaps.jpg
(138.14 KiB) Downloaded 265 times

Cadejo

#7 Post by Cadejo »

I just installed Grandr, neat stuff. It only works within an X-session. Once the session is restarted, it goes to default. Issue still remains, I'm weary of blacklisting the modules until I get more information.

npierce

#8 Post by npierce »

Krysztau wrote:I am rather newbie with can-do attitude, so if you need some more info about laptop or whatever - tell me as well how to obtain it.
Open a terminal window (Menu->Utility->Urxvt terminal emulator) and enter this command:

Code: Select all

xrandr
What output does it show?

Cadejo

#9 Post by Cadejo »

Team,

It's not a puppy problem, it's a JWM problem. I switched to IceWM and the resizing issue is gone.

Monsie

#10 Post by Monsie »

Krysztau wrote:
X setup said that 1920x1020 is ok for monitor may be not ok for video card.
npierce wrote:
Krysztau wrote:I am rather newbie with can-do attitude, so if you need some more info about laptop or whatever - tell me as well how to obtain it.
Open a terminal window (Menu->Utility->Urxvt terminal emulator) and enter this command:

xrandr
What output does it show?
Also consider:

ddcprobe
at the terminal for listing possible additional parameters that the graphics card and monitor may be capable of running, whereas xrandr seems to list the default specs for the monitor as being the maximum resolution for the display.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.