How to run Puppy in Asus eeePC 1225C?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
lvds

How to run Puppy in Asus eeePC 1225C?

#1 Post by lvds »

Hi,

For travels I had chance to buy a little netbook with no windows inside. Instead, the Asus eeePC 1225C see here was sold with Ubuntu. The first-run install failed miserably and I had to reformat the whole drive and install a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I discovered the pc is equiped with Atom Cedar trails which requires special drivers see here
typically to solve video and network problem:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install cedarview-dm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers
I've tried to run puppy but none release could be able to detect the hardware. Is it possible to include these drivers in puppy for future releases ?

Many thanks for your hard work :-)

Best regards

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

Have you tried Puppeee?
It's built especially for the Asus eee.
(but no longer supported)

anikin

#3 Post by anikin »

Please, have a look at this: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 622#676622
Your best bet would be to go with Slacko, I believe.

lvds

#4 Post by lvds »

@Dewbie: I didn't try Pupeee yet, I wanted to go with something "fresh"
anikin wrote:Please, have a look at this: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 622#676622
Your best bet would be to go with Slacko, I believe.
Thanks Anikin. I also read the HOWTO for Cedar Trail here

My Asus 1225c is only 2Go ram, so I downloaded non PAE releases, but the thread seems to suggest also Slacko 5.5 PAE - not sure about it but I will download it later and run tests.

I confirm Slacko 5.5 non PAE gives me a black screen. reboot.

Upup precise 3.8.3 that is non PAE boot ok but video is stuck at 640x480
sound is ok but no ethernet support. when running Simple-Network-Setup ethernet is not seen, but wireless states ath9k and accepts to run.

can I run the apt-get packages solution usually made for Ubuntu ? or Upup is not enough ubuntu-ized ? :-)

Also running in 640x480 shows every dialog boxes not usable, I can't click on anything because of the sizes of the boxes. I think there is a real need to redesign theses boxes so they become compatible with the lowest screen size because that is what people see when they are trying to get up with Puppy, and hopefully many people would be able to get up and running Puppy is they could only click on the dialog boxes buttons :-)
...but when you can't click, whatever solution the boxes provide are useless, it's a show stopper for anyone having a screen resolution problem with their video card.

Cedar trail seems to become common hardware for Intel Atom, is it planned to get the drivers in Puppy ? Can I help somehow ?

Best regards

ally

#5 Post by ally »

fluppy was a puppeee fork with more drivers for wider hardware support so may be worth a try, also saluki which followed

:)

lvds

#6 Post by lvds »

...I'm writting this just for the record, just in case someone lands here coming from a search engine or anything, because I just wrote it elsewhere too 8)

Well, so far, the only puppies that could boot Asus 1225c were Racy v5.5 and upup-precise 3.8.3. These two boots into 1024x768. Then when running xorg video wizard manually and ask for a probe, will allow the 1366x768.

Important to note: the screen in text mode to chose between probe, test... is too big and goes out of the screen ! So you need to type in blind (enter the first time, because hopefully this is the default, then enter again when the screen resolution is selected) because you don't see the buttons. Only the faithfull... :-)

firak

#7 Post by firak »

I install puppy on a similar eepc.
I face smaller problems than you. my is 1225p with atomN550 and yours is N2600 . So is different. I share anway, hoping that can helps you.

I found that every puppy 5 basicaly work on my.

the best conpatibily for the screen and video codecs was
Dpup . puppy_squeeze_5.X.3.2.14.2 .

The ounly one that support the mic was Puppy Racy . puppy_racy_5.3 .

Here my menu for multy boot several puppyes on the sd card.

1.- Puppy Linux 528

2.- Puppy Linux 528 RAM

3.- Puppy Macpup RAM

4.- Puppy Macpup Default

5.- Puppy Saluki RAM

6.- Puppy Saluki

7.- Puppy Dpup RAM

8.- Puppy Dpup (Video)

9.- Puppy Racy RAM

10.- Puppy Racy (Skype)

good lack. :roll:

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

lvds, have you tried Upup Raring 3.8.7?

lvds

#9 Post by lvds »

muggins wrote:lvds, have you tried Upup Raring 3.8.7?
Hi,

Not yet, but upup-precise 3.8.3 run ok so I think there will be no problem with upup-raring update. I'm a big fan of Pemasu work, I think the improvements made to the desktop (fonts, cions, menus...) should be standards in puppy 8)

Anyway, I also need that the usb gamepad could be recognized to play games for kids, and I have hard time to find a recent puppy ok for zsnes.

Best regards