How I built a patched Wine for Netflix

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mr_what

#21 Post by mr_what »

Gotta say this is odd. I was able to ln .wine in ~ to /initrd/mnt/dev_save /.wine in frugal Slacko 5.5, and all setfattr tests worked appropriately, but I'm still getting N8156-6022 errors just like seaside. Since pemasu had success running from the compolio debs, I wonder if installing the PET instead of using the SFS makes a difference... Gonna try that for the sake of trying it.

EDIT: Nope, same result (don't know why I expected otherwise), but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

pemasu, did you do anything special to install the compholio debs, or just let Puppy install them through the usual means?
Proponent of better living through reckless experimentation.

seaside

#22 Post by seaside »

Yes.........

I downloaded and installed these two packages (on top of everything else) and it now works :D :D

from -
https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive ... /+packages
download

wine-compholio_1.5.30~precise_i386.deb
netflix-desktop_0.7.0~precise_all.deb

This is on Puppy Precise 5.4.3 frugal install.

Cheers,
s

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

Well, none of the four services (including world's largest river :wink: ) are available in Australia, probably would be forever buffering anyway on my sh*t connection (and 99.99% of everyone else in Australia too :evil: ).

However, if someone can test the vanilla slacko install (sfs or pet) with the following pet that would be cool, but first you need to create /initrd/mnt/dev_save/.wine-browser and symlink it back to $HOME. (this can be automated later once I know it works). I believe they do this to avoid conflicts as mentioned in an earlier post by mr_what.

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /initrd/mnt/dev_save/.wine-browser
ln -sf /initrd/mnt/dev_save/.wine-browser ./
All I did was hack out the debconf crap, so you will need to make sure you have the corefonts (as explained on the first page) first. Again, that can be tested, but I need to know if it works before wasting my time.

You will need the netflix-desktop deb from pemasu's link above too. (The other *-desktop launchers work too).
Attachments
wine-browser-installer-0.7.pet
(43.77 KiB) Downloaded 357 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

mr_what

#24 Post by mr_what »

Hi 01micko,

I still have wine-1.5.28-i486-2-s14-patched.pet installed on my frugal Slacko machine, so I grabbed the netflix-desktop deb from...

https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive ... se_all.deb

...installed your wine-browser-installer-0.7.pet, created the linked .wine-browser folder as instructed, and tested by launching "wine-browser" in cli. Unfortunately, I'm still getting N8156-6022 errors.

Just a thought: if you still have the config.log from your Wine build, could you check it to see if XATTR was reported as available?

I'm afraid I can't noodle with this any more tonight, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm game and'll hit 'em up tomorrow.

seaside

#25 Post by seaside »

Sorry I can't test 01micko's Slacko wine-browser-install pet because I only have precise available.

However, just to elaborate further, here's what I did to get Neflix working in precise 5.4.3 frugal.

I downloaded 01micko's patched sfs http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... atched.sfs

Followed all of mr_what's great instructions.

Linked the /root/.wine directory somewhere outside the pupsave file (in this case /mnt/sdb6, another drive).

Then from -https://launchpad.net/~ehoover/+archive ... /+packages

Downloaded and installed netflix-desktop_0.7.0~precise_all.deb

Downloaded wine-compholio_1.5.30~precise_i386.deb which installs to directory /opt. NOTE: under /opt/wine-compholio, the files under bin and lib must be moved to /usr/bin and /usr/lib respectively, overriding the existing wine files.

Then,

Code: Select all

wine "C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe" http://netflix.com
and it streams flawlessly.

Cheers,
s

mr_what

#26 Post by mr_what »

A few additional notes for anyone still interested:

I managed to build a fresh, patched version of Wine 1.5.28 and get Netflix working without errors on my Slacko 5.5 Frugal install by compiling the program in a volume that supported XATTR (in my case, /initrd/mnt/dev_save/). After installing this new build, I still had to symlink the .wine directory to dev_save as previously mentioned to avoid the N8156-6022 errors, but it works.

The info gleaned from the end result here is that a local build works while the PET/SFS doesn't, which leads me to believe that the XATTR capabilities of the packaged build are getting lost somewhere in the packaging process. seaside's success with overwriting the /usr/bin & /usr/lib files from the wine-compholio_1.5.30~precise_i386.deb install seems to support this theory. I haven't had time to investigate further, but will do so when I can.

gulk

no extended attribute nowhere...

#27 Post by gulk »

Following this thread with the greatest interest... Unfortunately, Slacko 5.5, frugal install, I don't get any success with the extended attribute on every single one of my partitions (got the "Operation not supported" everywhere I tried).

Could it be the way I mount them or the fact that I only have ext3 and no ext4?

Keep up the good work and thanks for the time put into this investigation!