alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
PFan

#421 Post by PFan »

This is a beautiful Distro! However I am also having a problem with wireless internet connection. I have an old Dell D810 with Intel Pro Wireless 2200/2900, and pwireless doesn't see it at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Marv

ipw2200 wireless

#422 Post by Marv »

PFan wrote:This is a beautiful Distro! However I am also having a problem with wireless internet connection. I have an old Dell D810 with Intel Pro Wireless 2200/2900, and pwireless doesn't see it at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You could try what is suggested here http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum/view ... p?f=6&t=11 Looks like we're batting .500 on it to date. My laptop on which it did work uses intel ipw2200 wireless for what it's worth. Let us know if it helps.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

yr1945

#423 Post by yr1945 »

initially no networks were visable... then i clicked the roam button and next the refresh button and all wireless routers in my neighborhood magically appeared, including mine... then i was able to connect...

however, with ArchPup i could use pacman, with Alphaos7... the pacman commands in "help" don't seem to work... e.g., pacman -Sy will not download the packages... therefore, the command to download, let's say, firefox, does not work either ??

although i could successfully use pacman in ArchPup... i guess this OS is beyond my knowledge level...

Mc01

Broadcom wifi

#424 Post by Mc01 »

Hi guys,

I got also problem with wifi. During every launch of Pwireless2 i got message that my wifi card cannot be detected. Iwconfig also shows no interfaces.

My card is Broadcom BCM4313. I'm wondering if desired driver brcmsmac is integrated into kernel.

Cheers

PFan

#425 Post by PFan »

I got online! Sorry, I just love it when stuff works. I tried restarting the wpa_supplicant using the button in the debug tab of pwireless, but it didn't seem to do anything. Then I tried the Refresh and Roam buttons on the Networks tab. It showed my network, but wouldn't connect until I repeated the refresh-roam button process. Then it showed it was connected to my network, but had no IP address. After about a minute, it showed an IP address, and I was able to get online. Seems like there ought to be a easier way, but I'm just glad its working. Thank you for the suggestions.

rameshiyer

Mobile Partner

#426 Post by rameshiyer »

My mobile partner for 2G/3G is not connecting. Hence no internet. Something missing in the OS. However, signal is showing and also I can send out SMS. Please note that in AlphaOs 6, the mobile partner was able to connect !. Now Alph 7, I am unable to connect. Very strange behavior. Please help me.

smil99

#427 Post by smil99 »

Hi simargl,
alphaOS 7 is working quite well here.
Regarding printing, installing cups and dependents using pacman doesn't help. Cant access localhost:631 :(
What has happened to rcrsn51's excellent cups solutions in V6? Badly needed in V7 too :wink:
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

simargl

#428 Post by simargl »

Hi,
/etc/init.d/cups service file is included in the iso, but it will not start on boot unless you add cups in DAEMONS line in /etc/rc.conf after installing cups package. You can test with /etc/init.d/cups start and then check if printing works without rebooting. rcrsn51's package in version 6 was made for cups 1.4.8, I don't know will that work with newer version, probably not.
Regards
yr1945 wrote:although i could successfully use pacman in ArchPup... i guess this OS is beyond my knowledge level...
If you're sure in that, I can only agree :P

Scooby

#429 Post by Scooby »

report on latest ArchPup(AlphaOS now I guess :roll: )

Strange problem with terminal gone! I'm getting prompt and all

Mouse works with touchpad although gestures like two-finger scroll doesnt
But could easily be fixed with carolinas xorg.conf or the package from aur that handles this.
Got to install the package preventing unintentional touches of the touchpad. Havoc when typing for me.

PWireless showing no access points at start but after a

Code: Select all

ifconfig wlan0 up
in terminal and a refresh in pwireless list was populated with possible internet connections. Connected to internet OK

Pacman working great installed firefox no problem.

small stuff like setting keyboard with setxkbmap
My time and date is not correct but I know sim has adressed these things before so I will
go back and find the fix

I think I will switch back to simargls old conky in the left corner. I loved that one
I miss thunar too but it had some problems? Maybe I should try to get used to spacefm?

Have not tested the fix for screen tearing but it should work

Sim a question?

Is there a big difference between Arhpup 12.2.2 and the new AlphaOS?

Is packer included in devx.sfs?

I am very happy with this
Last edited by Scooby on Thu 30 May 2013, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.

simargl

#430 Post by simargl »

Scooby wrote:Is there a big difference between Arhpup 12.2.2 and the new AlphaOS?

Is packer included in devx.sfs?
Packer is included, also it's patched to run update-ca-certificates if needed. Main differences: obviously this one is made from newer Arch packages, it has notifications for radio, music players and custom spacefm mount script, compiled packages are better compatible with pacman (covering things like provides, conflicts and replaces in pkgbuild), there are some conky and tint2 themes for easy switching. Thunar was replaced because pup-volume-monitor used before did not have ability to mount usb devices, now that works without problems with spacefm, also this file manager offers much more customization options.

Until making alphaos 7, I had Arhpup 13.2.2 as my backup system, now I removed it. alphaOS based on Arch is new backup system, main is also alphaOS but one that was compiled from scratch with spkg package manager, it has all applications I need.

Regards.

rcrsn51

#431 Post by rcrsn51 »

simargl wrote:rcrsn51's package in version 6 was made for cups 1.4.8, I don't know will that work with newer version, probably not.
Once alphaOS switched to an all-arch, all-pacman system, my print-scan package immediately became irrelevant.

yr1945

#432 Post by yr1945 »

I haven't given up yet... perhaps someone could help me with pacman ??

When I use the command pacman -Sy it appears that something is being downloaded, but it only takes one second to download...

Next, when I use the command pacman -Sf firefox... it says invalid option.

Just as a comparison, the old ArchPup, would spend 30 seconds downloading core packages with the command pacman -Syu and then I could download firefox with the command pacman -Sf firefox.

What am I doing wrong, now, with the new AlphaOS ??

Thanks in advance for you support.

simargl

#433 Post by simargl »

pacman -Sf is no more valid option with new pacman, it needs to be pacman -S -f, but you should not use that command: simple pacman -S firefox is enough, or makesfs firefox maybe even better to save some disk space. Could you post whole output after pacman -Syu ?

john3voltas

#434 Post by john3voltas »

simargl, is it possible to get an older release of alphaOS or even archpup?
I would like to see how they handle cpu temperature and fan speed.
Cheers

john3voltas

#435 Post by john3voltas »

I'm trying alphaOS 7.0 on my wife's netbook.
Can't make wifi module to load.
modprobe brcmsmac fails to load the module. Did you include it when you compiled the kernel?
It says here that brcm80211 is included in the kernel.
Also, the keyboard has numlock enabled by default which is a bummer. You think you are typing letters and when you look at the screen it is also filled with numbers.

bark_bark_bark

#436 Post by bark_bark_bark »

@john3voltas, simargl compiles the kernel himself and sadly never compiles the module. Although it is possible to switch AlphaOS's kernel with the kernel from Slacko or Precise.

Scooby

#437 Post by Scooby »

Is there an easy way to combine two sfs into one?

Is it as easy as unsquash, merge and resquash?

Any gotchas?

Marv

combining sfs

#438 Post by Marv »

Scooby wrote:Is there an easy way to combine two sfs into one?

Is it as easy as unsquash, merge and resquash?

Any gotchas?
I have combined the sfs from 6.0 and 7.0 exactly that way with no problems. I usually have them both unsquashed anyway to add or subtract from them and then just copy them sequentially into a merged directory and squash it. Carolina, which I use often has a little more flexible GUI copy, but alphaOS has better compression parameters, good for roughly 10% more squash. I have modded my linas with them also see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=765 . No real caveats other than the usual EXT FS ONLY! and backup backup backup. Once a version is 'stable', having them merged makes it easier for me to keep track of what I add etc. There is also a clever rightclick in the 7.0 lina to do the combination but I haven't tried it out. Merging and squashing works ok for me and I can see what I'm doing.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mama21mama

#439 Post by mama21mama »

I had a hard time putting a code name?

mention here the new distro.

https://joindiaspora.com/posts/2655261

good luck with your project. :shock:

yr1945

#440 Post by yr1945 »

Simargl... Thank You. I am making good progress in understanding and using AlphaOS 7. A while back, I figured out how to log onto my wireless router. And, now, thanks to your feedback, I can use pacman. I have successfully downloaded firefox and a few other apps that I needed.

You asked me to post the output when I used the command pacman -Syu The following is the current output:
[root@alphaos ~]# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
alphaos is up to date
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
there is nothing to do
[root@alphaos ~]#

Suggestion: You need to change the pacman help manual in alphaOS 7 to state that the command for downloading packages is pacman -S firefox (as an example)... not pacman -Sf firefox as it currently states.

Anyway, Thanks Again.