How to boot 210 normal install using grub?

Booting, installing, newbie
can8v

How to boot 210 normal install using grub?

#1 Post by can8v »

I performed a normal install to hda1 from a frugal install on hda1, in the process I selected wipe partition and got rid of the 210 frugal files that were on the partition. I used the Grub installer to install Grub on hda2 , but only after backing up my existing menu.lst file. once completed I copied my other puppy bootable configurations from the back up menu.lst file to the current menu.lst file. I can still boot the other installs, but when I try to boot the new normal 210 install, I get a file not found error. This is what the bootable configuration looks like in the menu.lst file:

# Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux 210 normal (on /dev/hda1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda1 ro vga=normal
# Linux bootable partition config ends

That is what the grub install utility wrote to the file. It looks just like past installs I have performed and they all worked, but this one is a no go. Does anyone have any ideas. I would really like to set up 210 as a normal install and settle on this release as my main release for a while.
-J

info

Grub

#2 Post by info »

Pls. install Pupy 2.10 again and pls. be carefull what you make ! I have 2.10 too and no problem by Grub-building.

HappyPuppyUser

argh...

#3 Post by HappyPuppyUser »

So, I did a "Normal" install using the universal installer and then installed GRUB to a floppy... it's booting windooze fine and uses the menu.lst just as hoped ; though question for everyone : were does the universal installer place the
vmlinuz kernel file thats supposed to be pointed to in the menu.lst file (kernel = whatevere)?
it seems its not in / nor in /boot/ and nor in /boot/grub/

I have tried using the vmlinuz of the live-cd but this only drops me with a very blank and black screen....

//Sundin (sorry for butting in on this thread, I figured it better to reply to an existing one then start a new one (considering the vast amount of threads on the matter..))

can8v

#4 Post by can8v »

I am experiencing the exact same problem with 202 and 210. I sure wish I could figure it out. I tried using the init in the /sbin, and I tried using the initrd.gz from the iso (both with the vmlinuz from the iso, becuas e as you mentioned the universal installer doesn't install the kernel). Everything, but the kernel seems to get installed. This has had me frustrated for weeks. I really want NTFS write support so I don't want to drop back to 201, which was the last version that installed the kernel for a normal hd install on my system. Possibally someone could just attach the correct vmlinuz kernel to this thread and we can put it into the /boot directory, I think that will solve the issue. I have seen that some people reported that the universal installer has worked fine for a normal install on their hd, but no mention if they were using ATA or SATA, and I am not sure if that would make any difference.

mouldy

Re: argh...

#5 Post by mouldy »

HappyPuppyUser wrote:So, I did a "Normal" install using the universal installer and then installed GRUB to a floppy... it's booting windooze fine and uses the menu.lst just as hoped ; though question for everyone : were does the universal installer place the
vmlinuz kernel file thats supposed to be pointed to in the menu.lst file (kernel = whatevere)?

I have tried using the vmlinuz of the live-cd but this only drops me with a very blank and black screen....

//Sundin (sorry for butting in on this thread, I figured it better to reply to an existing one then start a new one (considering the vast amount of threads on the matter..))

I ran into this. Puppy 2.10 "NORMAL" install puts vmlinuz into /boot/vmlinuz. Grub for some reason cant find it there even when told. Move it to /vmlinuz so its equal level with /root, /usr, /etc Then go edit the menu.1st file so grub looks for /vmlinuz. That simple. Oh the black screen, try vga=normal.

On my install, I renamed vmlinuz, "lucy" during my attempts to get grub working, so here is what things look like on my computer.

mouldy

Re: argh...

#6 Post by mouldy »

HappyPuppyUser wrote:So, I did a "Normal" install using the universal installer and then installed GRUB to a floppy... it's booting windooze fine and uses the menu.lst just as hoped ; though question for everyone : were does the universal installer place the

I ran into this. Puppy 2.10 "NORMAL" install puts vmlinuz into /boot/vmlinuz. Grub for some reason cant find it there even when told. Move it to /vmlinuz so its equal level with /root, /usr, /etc Then go edit the menu.1st file so grub looks for /vmlinuz. That simple. Oh the black screen, try vga=normal.

On my install, I renamed vmlinuz, "lucy" during my attempts to get grub working, so here is what things look like on my computer.

can8v

#7 Post by can8v »

I solved this problem on my machine. You can check out this thread:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=70571#70571