Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 02:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Classic Opera browser 12.16 [SFS] for Wary and Racy.etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 12 of 12 [174 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12
Author Message
Dromeno

Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 07:25    Post subject: Thanx for the flash update
Subject description: but problem persists
 

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dromeno

Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 07:27    Post subject: Hopefully readable now  

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dromeno

Joined: 12 Sep 2008
Posts: 534

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 07:29    Post subject:  

Thanks for the flashplayer11-11.2.202.285 version (more recent than what is in the Carolina repo). But unfortunately it does not solve the issue.

At the TED page
http://www.ted.com/talks ji_hae_park_the_violin_and_my_dark_night_of_the_soul.html

I get the error message that "Shockwave flash has crashed". And at the download page which you posted nothing happens.
...but at the youtube page for the same TED video everything works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMGZQZRIsJE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Semme

Joined: 07 Aug 2011
Posts: 3280
Location: World_Hub

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2013, 07:30    Post subject:  

Then try v10. As for the link I left, it's for wget, not your browser.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Terryphi


Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 758
Location: West Wales, Britain.

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 00:57    Post subject:  

This is a sad day for long-standing supporters of Opera browser. Crying or Very sad I have tested an early version of the new Opera based on Chromium. It is vastly inferior to the classic Opera and I will not be supporting it. It lacks the features and customisation we loved about Opera.

In the future I intend to use Firefox as my main browser on operating systems that support it. Classic Opera 12.15 is still the best available choice for Racy and Wary and I will continue to make the SFS available for download as long as there is a demand for it.

_________________
Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, Quirky, etc available here Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
sheldonisaac

Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 384
Location: Philadelphia, PA

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 11:54    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
This is a sad day for long-standing supporters of Opera browser. Crying or Very sad I have tested an early version of the new Opera based on Chromium. It is vastly inferior to the classic Opera and I will not be supporting it. It lacks the features and customisation we loved about Opera.

In the future I intend to use Firefox as my main browser on operating systems that support it. Classic Opera 12.15 is still the best available choice for Racy and Wary and I will continue to make the SFS available for download as long as there is a demand for it.

Thank you, Terry.
I have just downloaded your Opera 12.15, and am using it now.

What would Firefox do for me that Opera cannot?
My usual OS is Lucid Puppy 5.28-005.

Thanks again,

Sheldon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Terryphi


Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 758
Location: West Wales, Britain.

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 12:43    Post subject:  

sheldonisaac wrote:

What would Firefox do for me that Opera cannot?
My usual OS is Lucid Puppy 5.28-005.


Sheldon,

If you are happy with Opera you can go on using it but there will be no updates to classic Opera. Consequently, over a period of time as web design standards develop it may not work properly on some sites. At that time you may want to move on to a different browser.

I don't want to get involved in discussing the relative merits of Opera and Firefox but here are some of my thoughts. Firefox does work on more sites than Opera. I think Opera's bookmarks and cookie management are better than in Firefox. Opera allows more customisation of the browser. Some people like Opera's built-in mail client and feedreader. These are all personal preferences.

Perhaps the most relevant point is that many of the best features of early Opera were copied by Firefox developers. Therefore, Firefox is the next best thing for anyone seeking a longterm alternative to classic Opera.

_________________
Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, Quirky, etc available here Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
xstylezx

Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Wed 29 May 2013, 19:03    Post subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:

What would Firefox do for me that Opera cannot?
My usual OS is Lucid Puppy 5.28-005.


Sheldon,

If you are happy with Opera you can go on using it but there will be no updates to classic Opera. Consequently, over a period of time as web design standards develop it may not work properly on some sites. At that time you may want to move on to a different browser.

I don't want to get involved in discussing the relative merits of Opera and Firefox but here are some of my thoughts. Firefox does work on more sites than Opera. I think Opera's bookmarks and cookie management are better than in Firefox. Opera allows more customisation of the browser. Some people like Opera's built-in mail client and feedreader. These are all personal preferences.

Perhaps the most relevant point is that many of the best features of early Opera were copied by Firefox developers. Therefore, Firefox is the next best thing for anyone seeking a longterm alternative to classic Opera.


Have you seen this yet?

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-next-15-0-released

and this as well

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-features-and-release-cycle

Sounds pretty promising! Hopefully we will get some nice releases of this in time for our puppies Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Terryphi


Joined: 02 Jul 2008
Posts: 758
Location: West Wales, Britain.

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jul 2013, 02:55    Post subject:  

I have updated the Opera SFS to version 12.16 (build 1860). This release includes security fixes.

Full details are in the first post in this thread.

_________________
Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, Quirky, etc available here Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 12 of 12 [174 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 10, 11, 12
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0681s ][ Queries: 13 (0.0072s) ][ GZIP on ]