Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 28 Aug 2014, 05:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Opera goes Chrome
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
cowboy

PostPosted: Sat 23 Feb 2013, 22:14    Post subject:  Opera goes Chrome
Subject description: adopts the google browser engine

Also posted under the browsers section, but noticed that Opera has given up their independent browser engine efforts, and will base all future releases on Webkit, and it seems, Chromium. No indication what will become of their email client.

The WebKit engine is already very good, and we aim to take part in making it even better. It supports the standards we care about, and it has the performance we need. It makes more sense to have our experts working with the open source communities to further improve WebKit and Chromium, rather than developing our own rendering engine further. Opera will contribute to the WebKit and Chromium projects, and we have already submitted our first set of patches: to improve multi-column layout.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57569106-93/opera-embraces-webkit-in-browser-brain-transplant/

ChiJoan

PostPosted: Thu 30 May 2013, 21:59    Post subject: Actually they're using Chromium
Subject description: Google is changing their Chrome-kit a bit, too.

Saw it on Infoworld that the Opera Beta was out. Is anyone testing it? They took out their mail part to be separate, but they didn't mention their Torrent tracker, or other items yet.

Joan in Reno
Semme

PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2013, 05:23    Post subject:  

Joan- provided you run the 'right' OS, you can <wink> try it yourself. I merely rename ~/.opera when sampling..
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2013, 14:41    Post subject:  

It's very different - feels like a skinned Chromium. Under a Pentium 4 machine, it feels a 'lil bit lighter than Chrome (which is extremely sluggish), while the good ol' Opera is the only modern browser that performs well on this machine.

I have no idea why they chose this direction for this product, since it's going to be very hard for them to beat Chrome using ... Chromium (let's not forget, it's Chrome minus some features). As far as I know, Google open sources most of Chrome's source code (as Chromium) only when a stable version is released. In other words, if Chrome 28 is being worked on and Opera doesn't have access to its rendering engine until the release, it will always be at least one version behind. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the right thing to do (for the company) is to give up on the desktop variant of this browser - I think it doesn't have a chance against competition.

ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Announcements
Jump to: