How to install Puppy on the CompactFlash card?

Booting, installing, newbie
zodd

#1 Post by zodd »

Hello,

I'm trying to install Puppy (Toutou Linux) on a panel PC. The panel PC hasn't HDD but use a compactflash card instead. I don't find the 'Menu' -> Système->Pdisk utility to make the install on it .. Is it normal?

After I would like to use the touch screen capability of the panel and use a virtual keyboard^^ (For the moment I use USB mouse&keyboard)

Thanks ;)

gasem

#2 Post by gasem »

use system, gparted to format the card
set the card boot flag
use setup, puppy universal installer: choose internal ide/sata sd install
reboot and set the bios first boot choice to SD

I boot my shuttle XS35 from SD using this method.

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

My new lappy has a great usable slot for SD compact flash (recessed below keyboard), but BIOS /UEFI can not see it to boot from it. :( You are lucky.

Sky Aisling

#4 Post by Sky Aisling »

Hello Zod and Welcome to the Forum :)

I've had good luck with frugal installs to flash cards using Shinobar's
Frugal Installer in combo with GRUB04DOS

Both found here under Pic-Ups:

http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Puppy Universal Installer + grub4dos.

If installing from a card reader on another computer --> "USB Flash Media, later to be inserted into IDE (eg CF Card in IDE adapter)"

If installing directly to the target computer, with the card already inside --> "IDE/SATA Flash Media (eg DiskOnModule)"

Frugal install.

Then run grub4dos. CHECK YOUR menu.lst FILE AND MAKE SURE IT SAYS "pmedia=ataflash" ON ALL PUPPY BOOT ENTRIES. If you don't you'll get an error message instead of a boot process.

EDIT: [shameless plug] Weird computers that only accept CF "hard drives" are not the only place you can use those. See a howto I wrote, here --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84649 I call a CF card in an IDE adapter, a "Poor Man's SSD" -- for a reason! If you only need 8-16gb of space they're golden. After that things get pricey fast.