Free (US) Google Phone

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sszindian

Free (US) Google Phone

#1 Post by sszindian »

For those who may not know...

If you have a GMAIL account, there is an icon with a telephone graphic on it in the L/H window.

If you click on it, a dialog box opens where you can either type-in or click-select the telephone number you want to call... but FIRST... it will ask you to install a 'plug-in' click that, it offers either 32 or 64 bit for your system and the one you want for Precise is the 'Ubuntu' one. Download this to your computer. It is a 'deb' file and Precise-6.6.1 will automatically install it just like a .pet (may work with other Puppy's than Precise? all I can say is 'try it.')

Now, go back into your GMAIL click on the phone-icon, type in the number you want to call 'INCLUDING THE AREA CODE' (Not sure if spaces are allowed, I just type in one continuous number) then select 'call.'

I have a mic plugged into my setup, I speak through that and listen via the speakers.

Calling either 'LOCAL' or 'LONG-DISTANCE' is 'FREE' within the US or CANADA for US users, not sure about other countries, you have to check.

Pretty nice feature if you don't have a regular phone or you just want to eliminate that big phone bill every month!

I use Seamonkey and it works great.

'Thanks Google'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]