http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7v1msw26s6chb/spuppy
(16.18 KiB) Downloaded 2734 times
preciseal1.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7v1msw26s6chb/spuppy
(13.76 KiB) Downloaded 2793 times

Jades

re: Testing Precise 5.6.1 on K6-2 systems

#202 Post by Jades »

Thnak you to James C and Sage for testing Precise on thier own K6 systems. Always handy to get confirmation it's not just me! ;-)

Out of curiosity I tried booting some other Puppy Live CDs on my K6 to see what happened.

Lupu 528 also fails with "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!" at the switch_root stage, but without the debug info that Precise generated. IIRC Playdayz had intentionally compiled Lupu 528 to require a minimum of i686 for performance reasons.

Both Upup Raring 3.8.7 and Slacko 5.5 check the processor features quite early in the boot sequence and put up a warning message which reads as follows:-

Code: Select all

This kernel requires the following features not present on the CPU:
cmov
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU
That's nice and unambiguous and a lot quicker than having to wait for it to finish loading the sfs from CD and it then stiffing with a cryptic message and lots of flashing.

I think Wary still has a role as a dedicated Puppy for older machines, and having a version with that purpose it's possible to have the cutting edge versions demand i686 or better, which is effectivelly what's happened anyway. That's probably a discussion for another thread though.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

vicmz

transmission

#203 Post by vicmz »

First of all, thank you for this excellent Puppy! :D

Now just in case no one has reported (I actually don't use it very much), I tried Transmission with a torrent that has many files. As I didn't want to download all of the files, I clicked the ones I wanted, but instead of selecting the files I was clicking, say at the middle of the list, it checked the ones at the top of the list, one below another.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

linuxcbon

#204 Post by linuxcbon »

I already asked Barry to compile for 486, but he didnt listen.

Sylvander

#205 Post by Sylvander »

Problem:
1. When I use Psync to correct my display of time at bottom right...
At next boot, the time has jumped back, so it is 1 hour behind the correct time! :?
I have my timezone set to Europe/London as per usual [normally always works well].
Tried manually saving this session change, but it made no difference.
Unless I choose to save changes, by default no changes are saved.

hayden

Problem with 5.6

#206 Post by hayden »

Boots OK but auto-selects a resolution I can't read. I am offered a chance to fix that and I do but after the resolution change the icons and bar across the bottom of the screen disappear. It's as though I am just getting part of the screen at the old resolution magnified. If I change the resolution via the Xorg video wizard I get my icons and bar back.

Running from the CD on a Dell GX-270 and

HIS ATI Radeon 9250 4X/8X AGP 256MB Video Card 128-bit
Samsung SyncMaster 210T

npierce

Re: Time settings not saved

#207 Post by npierce »

Sylvander,

After your next boot, and before correcting the time, what output do you get for these six commands?:

tail -1 /etc/adjtime
grep "^HWCLOCKTIME" /etc/clock
readlink /etc/localtime
export | grep TZ
cat /proc/driver/rtc | grep time
date
Then after using Psync to correct your time, what do the same commands say?

Are you having trouble with anything else not being saved?

It may not matter, but are you running 5.6 or 5.6.1?

Sylvander

#208 Post by Sylvander »

npierce wrote:After your next boot, and before correcting the time, what output do you get for these six commands?:

tail -1 /etc/adjtime
readlink /etc/localtime
export | grep TZ
cat /proc/driver/rtc | grep time
date
I get:

# tail -1 /etc/adjtime 
UTC
# grep "^HWCLOCKTIME" /etc/clock 
HWCLOCKTIME=localtime
# readlink /etc/localtime 
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
# export | grep TZ 
# cat /proc/driver/rtc | grep time
rtc_time	: 20:03:03
# date
Wed Jun  5 20:03:13 BST 2013
# 
npierce wrote:Then after using Psync to correct your time, what do the same commands say?
I used Psync to correct my time, then clicked "autostart", then "Save" on the desktop, and got:

# tail -1 /etc/adjtime 
UTC
HWCLOCKTIME=localtime
# readlink /etc/localtime 
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
# export | grep TZ 
rtc_time	: 20:06:59
# date
Wed Jun  5 21:07:11 BST 2013
# 
npierce wrote:Are you having trouble with anything else not being saved?
No.

npierce wrote:It may not matter, but are you running 5.6 or 5.6.1?

npierce

#209 Post by npierce »

Sylvander,

Thanks for posting the requested output.

Since there are a couple of things going wrong, let's take them one at a time.

1. Puppy isn't setting your system clock correctly at boot time.

2. Psync isn't automatically correcting it soon after booting.

Let's start with #1.

After you used Psync to correct the time, you got this output:

rtc_time   : 20:06:59
# date
Wed Jun  5 21:07:11 BST 2013
So your hardware clock (a.k.a. "rtc", "real time clock") is set to UTC. That's fine, and I'll assume that is how you want it.

And the last time the hardware clock was set, it was indeed set to UTC, as indicated by the following output:

# tail -1 /etc/adjtime
UTC
But when Puppy sets the clock at boot time, it looks at another file to see what the hardware clock is set to:

HWCLOCKTIME=localtime 
As you can see, that file has incorrect information.

I took a quick look at a bunch of related scripts, and didn't notice any recent changes that would explain why that file is incorrect.

If you run

quickcountry
and check the box labeled Hardware clock set to UTC, then click OK, does

then indicate UTC? If so, will it survive a reboot?

OK, on to #2.

A report on the output of the following two commands would be helpful to see why Psync isn't automatically setting the time soon after booting:

ls -l /root/Startup/timesync.sh
iwconfig 2> /dev/null | grep IEEE
(If you like, feel free to edit the network name before posting, for privacy.)

Did you happen to notice if Precise 5.6 or other Puppies gave the wrong time for a few (perhaps 15) seconds after booting, before Psync automatically corrected it? Or did you not run Psync "autostart" on previous Puppies?

6502coder

Precise 5.6.1 -- fails to power off laptop

#210 Post by 6502coder »

Tested Precise Puppy 5.6.1 running LiveCD, pfix=ram, on my HP/Compaq Presario 2200.
This laptop is several years old and has one of the non-PAE Celeron-M cpus. It has happily run a couple of the Wary 4.x series, Wary 5.1.4.1, Wary 5.3, Wary 5.5, Slacko 5.5, and Precise Puppy 5.4.93.
Currently set up with a frugal install of PP 5.4.93, 1 G ram, 1.5 G swap, dual-boot with WinXP.

Testing of PP 5.6.1 from LiveCD was all good until I elected power-off shutdown (no savefile).
I got as far as the "Puppy is shutting down" message and that was it -- the laptop never powered off.
Did a cold reboot and repeated the test, with the same result.

Very curious, inasmuch as Wary 5.5 and PP 5.4.93 are also very recent Puppies, but they don't manifest this power-off problem.

(This is just a bug report, not a solicitation for help: I'm very happy with the current PP 5.4.93 setup.)

James C

#211 Post by James C »

Precise 5.6 live on an old P3 .......naturally too large to load into ram on a 256 mb box.
SeaMonkey would not launch....

# seamonkey
Bus error
# 
Same cd with confirmed md5 and verified burn.

Copied all below info to a text file.....posting this from Wary 5.5.....running pfix=ram.

-Computer-
Processor : Pentium III (Coppermine)
Memory : 253MB (79MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Precise Puppy - 5.6
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 06 Jun 2013 12:55:04 AM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801AA-ICH

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.2.44 (i686)
Version : #1 SMP Sun May 5 11:42:44 GMT-8 2013
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Distribution : Precise Puppy - 5.6

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.6

Chip description:
Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (GMCH) Graphics Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): intel
Loaded modules: dbe ddc dri dri2 extmod fb glx int10 kbd mouse ramdac record vbe vgahw xaa

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1024x768 pixels (321x241 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#

dennis-slacko531

Precise 5.6.1 savefile shrinking --wtf?

#212 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

This is very strange behavior, but apparently something is being downloaded continually. My savefile is 3GB and over the course of the day it's now down to 1.3GB remaining. Has anyone experienced this? It happened yesterday and the indicator turned red. I was about to reboot it (--to increase the size) but it suddenly cleared itself and was back at 3GB. Well, it's happening again now.

I'm using Firefox 21.0 (up to date). I know there's some debate about savefile sizes, but this falls into the weird category IMO.

BTW, my site mirrors Precise & PHATSlacko (you're welcome) :)
http://www.beok.com/lnux

* * EDIT : After a four hour cat nap the savefile shrunk by an extra 300MB. My modem indicates activity but I can't see any specific file getting bigger... :x

*** EDIT : 15 hours later and I'm on RED with 407MB remaining. Losing about 100MB per hour. The Firefox green arrow shows only correct/recent activity.

* * PARTIALLY SOLVED : It somehow restored itself. Now it shows 2.4GB of 3GB. I'll close Firefox for awhile.

*** SOLVED : Aqualung R-1261 ---- Can someone confirm this is a bad program? As soon as it runs, you'll notice it starts some crazy downloading forever.
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 03:11, edited 6 times in total.

Sylvander

#213 Post by Sylvander »

@npierce
1. "So your hardware clock (a.k.a. "rtc", "real time clock") is set to UTC. That's fine, and I'll assume that is how you want it."
Actually, I don't want it set to UTC, and I believe I set it to "localtime".

2. "check the box labeled Hardware clock set to UTC, then click OK"
The UTC box is NOT checked, which is just as I want it to be.

3. "2. Psync isn't automatically correcting it soon after booting."
True.

4. "A report on the output of the following two commands would be helpful to see why Psync isn't automatically setting the time soon after booting:"

# ls -l /root/Startup/timesync.sh 
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 587 Jun  5 21:05 /root/Startup/timesync.sh
# iwconfig 2> /dev/null | grep IEEE
# 
5. "Did you happen to notice if Precise 5.6 or other Puppies gave the wrong time for a few (perhaps 15) seconds after booting, before Psync automatically corrected it?"
At this boot, Psync has NOT auto-sync-ed at all.
I have seen it auto-sync at previous boots, so I'll check that and report back.
-------------------------------
Edit:
OK, I Psync'd, clicked autostart", clicked "Save" on the desktop, and rebooted...
And the time was successfully Psync'd once the Puppy got to the desktop. :D
-------------------------------

6. "did you not run Psync "autostart" on previous Puppies?"
Correct, on previous Puppies I normally didn't use "autostart", but was forced to begin using it on this Puppy.

npierce

#214 Post by npierce »

Sylvander wrote:Actually, I don't want it set to UTC . . .
OK, in that case this command should correct your hardware clock, so that the time will be right after booting without the need to run Psync. This sets the hardware clock to match the system clock, so be sure that you have already corrected the time on your system clock before running it.

hwclock -w --localtime
And I think I see what caused Puppy to set the hardware clock incorrectly. But I'll need a little more time to write-up a fix to prevent that, so I thought I'd post this now so you can get your Puppy back on time sooner rather than later.

I am hoping that the above command will fix the clock and survive a reboot, so that the time is correct even before Psync fixes it. Please let me know if that is not the case.

As for Psync "autostart" working sometimes and not others, I am not sure why that happens. Is your PC connected to the network with a physical cable, or are you using wireless?

Sylvander

#215 Post by Sylvander »

@npierce
1. "be sure that you have already corrected the time on your system clock before running it"
Oops! DID use Psync to correct the system clock, but didn't then click "Save" prior to using your command.
Is that OK? Or not?
Is "Save" of failure to save significant in this situation?

2. "I am hoping that the above command will fix the clock and survive a reboot, so that the time is correct even before Psync fixes it. Please let me know if that is not the case."
I'll reboot and report back on the outcome ASAP.
---------------------------
Edit:
On reboot...
Not easy to tell, but...
My system clock displays seconds, and I was watching those carefully...
And I saw the seconds jump by 2 [a 2-second jump forward].
Hence the clock was 2-seconds behind, even though it had been Psync'd right before the reboot.
----------------------------

3. " Is your PC connected to the network with a physical cable, or are you using wireless?"
Connected by cable to the router, which is right beside the keyboard+mouse+screen+PC.

npierce

#216 Post by npierce »

Sylvander wrote:Oops! DID use Psync to correct the system clock, but didn't then click "Save" prior to using your command.
Is that OK? Or not?
That's OK. Either way is fine. The important thing is that your system clock was correct when you executed the command.

Sylvander wrote:Hence the clock was 2-seconds behind, even though it had been Psync'd right before the reboot.
Well, we have made good progress then. :) Being two seconds behind instead of an hour behind is improvement by a factor of 1800. :)

Actually, the two second jump could just be a matter of the clock display update being delayed slightly because the processor was momentarily busy doing something of a higher priority. See how it does over the course of a day.

Sylvander wrote:Connected by cable to the router . . .
Possibly the network connection isn't always fully up before the Psync "autostart" script tries to contact a time server. That would explain why it sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. For PCs that use wireless, that script has a 15-second delay before it tries to use the network (because wireless connections generally take longer to come up than cabled connections). Perhaps a small delay is needed for cabled connections as well.

If Psync continues to give you trouble, I'd say file a new bug report for Psync, since I don't think that problem would be specific to Precise.

Sylvander

#217 Post by Sylvander »

@npierce
1. "Actually, the two second jump could just be a matter of the clock display update being delayed slightly"
Yes, it occurred to me as I was reporting to you, that:
Perhaps Psync was taking a second or so to do the necessary, so that instead of the regular moving forward 1-second at a time, the time remained frozen at its second setting, then jumped forward 2-seconds instead of 1.

rameshiyer

Time

#218 Post by rameshiyer »

Psync time Server isn't automatically correcting it soon after booting. No auto start even if the same enabled.

nooby

#219 Post by nooby »

Most likely it is me being too nooby.
I did not like the pmusic I use mplayer in Lupu
so wanted to use it in Precise too. Thought it where included
should have looked first so I wrote mplayer in start with
and it do start something not sure what but show no gui
so can not shut it down.

Most likely one need to use PPM to install mplayer first?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Sylvander

#220 Post by Sylvander »

"Menu->Multimedia->GNOME-Mplayer" is natively included in my "Precise-5.6.1", and runs the GUI OK. :D

Haven't yet tried playing anything with it.