Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 08:36
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
...4.12 and Puppy 4.21 - Your Experiences
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
darry1966

PostPosted: Sat 08 Jun 2013, 19:25    Post_subject:  ...4.12 and Puppy 4.21 - Your Experiences  

Hi Puppyians,

This is a thread I have started to see what experiences people who still use these Puppies are having and any useful tips said users can pass on to others on this thread I have started my own 4.12 based distro and explored how to build it in the How to section.

I look forward to reponses.

Edited_time_total
Dewbie

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 02:36    Post_subject:  

Neither of those will read Debian packages natively.
(That didn't happen till 4.3.1.)
So use this as a workaround. Smile
darry1966

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 02:53    Post_subject: Dewby Reply  

Many thanks Dewby. Very Happy
nic007

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 10:16    Post_subject:  

Hi, Darry. What is your objective or goal with this adventure? Do you want to make your own puplet ie. Removing/adding stuff from the original distro and re-master or re-invent the wheel (in which case I will not be able to help). The simplest way to make your own puplet is to either download barebones puppy 412 (it's about 57mb) and build your puplet from that base OR take the original distribution and use pet-be-gone to remove packages. I prefer the latter method. Pet-be-gone 4.1 also works for puppy 4.12. So play around with this and remove the stuff you want to, then install additional stuff you want to and then use the built-in puppy remaster program to make your own puplet. Good luck.
darry1966

PostPosted: Sun 09 Jun 2013, 13:51    Post_subject: Reply  

nic007 wrote:
Hi, Darry. What is your objective or goal with this adventure? Do you want to make your own puplet ie. Removing/adding stuff from the original distro and re-master or re-invent the wheel (in which case I will not be able to help). The simplest way to make your own puplet is to either download barebones puppy 412 (it's about 57mb) and build your puplet from that base OR take the original distribution and use pet-be-gone to remove packages. I prefer the latter method. Pet-be-gone 4.1 also works for puppy 4.12. So play around with this and remove the stuff you want to, then install additional stuff you want to and then use the built-in puppy remaster program to make your own puplet. Good luck.

Thankyou for your reply.

Yes it has been an adventure indeed. I did so because I fustrated by my own lack of satisfaction with distros I had tried and performance on my rig. Or I got bored with them and wanted something more.

I have tried the later Puppies including Wary and found especially when using barebones versions that the package Manager with depedencies was a nightmare. I guess I really was blown away with the simplicity of 4.12 and 4.21 and it was so much simpler building a system using barebones. Not too many dependencies.

I have used or the techniques you have mentioned and realised that instead of people with really lowend machines using a damn small type Distro which is not really that usuable they can use a 4.12/4.21 base use the Glibc updates and run a modern Browser and have a fast sleek system.

This is what I enjoy.

This post is not so much wanting help more an interest in knowing if there are other users of the great unleashed base I have come to love and if they have something useful to share to benefit others as part of the community who use the 4.12/4.21 base or are starting to use it.

My purpose for my DIY posting in the How to section was to put together what I had learned using what I suppose could be termed and old operating system base and show with some updates and modifications worked very well still and to sum the Unleased 4.12/4.21 stable is far from dead and still useful. Small and simple sleek and fast,

I put together useful stuff that was all over the web and forums together to help those with low end machines like me to show as alternative to Wary which I am sorry to say I just didn't like.

Some Important Points:

1 The satisfaction of building your own system -
barebones is fantastic for this. You understand Linux better and have fun too. DIY Computing.

2 I Wanted to share what I had learned to benefit others - The spirit of Open Source.

3 I now appreciate developers more and what effort and time they put in.

4. Being more in control of my operating system and not relying on somebody else for when that sytem will be updated, continued support etc.
oligin10

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013, 15:56    Post_subject: Coincidence!  

Hi, just wanted to let you know I worked on this some Saturday night and Sunday night, without realizing you had posted this. I used 4.21 and was able to get Firefox 17.06 ESR and Thunderbird 17.03 both up and running. Added Open Office Light, worked fine. Also, I added Xfmedia from PPM and Xfburn from Akita Linux Repo. PPM didn't added dependencies correctly for Xfmedia, but I was able to download them manually. Had to add a couple dependencies for Firefox and Thunderbird. Can't remember about Xfburn. I tried to add the new JWM2 they are working on, but the config didn't work properly. Xfmedia played all my files with 3 different formats properly. Also, I installed the latest flash player on the forum also, and it worked fine. I hope to post an iso when I have time to work on this some more. Would like to get Deadbeef instead of Xfmedia as I like the interface better. But I need to find the version of Deadbeef that will play all 3 formats properly. Good luck with your project. Thanks, Rob
darry1966

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013, 19:48    Post_subject: Re: Coincidence!  

oligin10 wrote:
Hi, just wanted to let you know I worked on this some Saturday night and Sunday night, without realizing you had posted this. I used 4.21 and was able to get Firefox 17.06 ESR and Thunderbird 17.03 both up and running. Added Open Office Light, worked fine. Also, I added Xfmedia from PPM and Xfburn from Akita Linux Repo. PPM didn't added dependencies correctly for Xfmedia, but I was able to download them manually. Had to add a couple dependencies for Firefox and Thunderbird. Can't remember about Xfburn. I tried to add the new JWM2 they are working on, but the config didn't work properly. Xfmedia played all my files with 3 different formats properly. Also, I installed the latest flash player on the forum also, and it worked fine. I hope to post an iso when I have time to work on this some more. Would like to get Deadbeef instead of Xfmedia as I like the interface better. But I need to find the version of Deadbeef that will play all 3 formats properly. Good luck with your project. Thanks, Rob

Thankyou for your post I hope this help other Steam computer Users.
darry1966

PostPosted: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 18:06    Post_subject: Oligin10  

Please do let us know how finding a deadbeef or other audio player goes. I use aqualung it works quite well.

From the original Puppy 4 Repos. http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/

You will need libsamplerate .pet.

With regards to Deadbeef - yes I have had some attempts but not much success so far.

Tried to compile a debian converted package of deadbeef it worked but clicking in the playlist area caused it to crash so here is a question - has anybody managed to get a stable version of deadbeef to work in puppy linux 4 I managed to get it to play mp3's but it is not stable??????
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:32    Post_subject: Re: Oligin10  

you might already know, but there's a lot of pup4 stuff here
inoxidabile

PostPosted: Thu 13 Jun 2013, 13:13    Post_subject: Re: ...4.12 and Puppy 4.21 - Your Experiences  

darry1966 wrote:
Hi Puppyians,

This is a thread I have started to see what experiences people who still use these Puppies are having and any useful tips said users can pass on to others on this thread I have started my own 4.12 based distro and explored how to build it in the How to section.

I look forward to reponses.

Hi,
By my side I can say only one thing.
I keep one cd with 4.21 because it shows a great hw compatibility in my experience and I use it as a sort of "passepartout" in all the pc (old and new) I have to check without no information about their health.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum