Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 18 Apr 2014, 17:59
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Classic Pup 2.14X -- Updated 2 series
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 326 of 331 [4962 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 Next

What is the best Puppy Version ever, LOL
2.14x
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
2.14x
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
2.14x
30%
 30%  [ 10 ]
Other: 2.14x only
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 33

Author Message
bentonbee

Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Sat 18 May 2013, 15:15    Post subject: help on another puppy series 2 Barry did?
Subject description: Barry's newer series 2 puppy??
 

Where is the download to the puppy version Barry was talking about
in his blog?-

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00779
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dewbie

Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Mon 20 May 2013, 04:06    Post subject:  

bentonbee wrote:
Quote:
Where is the download to the puppy version Barry was talking about in his blog?
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00779

Retro-Puppy 218 alpha is no longer available.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
bentonbee

Joined: 12 Dec 2008
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2013, 10:03    Post subject: Retro-Puppy 218 alpha is no longer available.  

Retro-Puppy 218 alpha is no longer available.

Thank you for letting me know.
Mike
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
zekebaby


Joined: 17 Nov 2010
Posts: 49

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2013, 22:37    Post subject: Savefile bug report and fix  

I decided to install 2.14X Top10 on my vintage 1999 Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2 - Welcome to Jurassic Computing, I had played around with 2.14X as a live distro before, but never tried a frugal install. Works great except . . .

I found a bug! My savefile seems to keep most of my settings, but not all of them (transmission speed settings for example). Hmmmm. I also noticed the following error flash on my screen at shutdown:
Code:
tail: cannot open `+2' for reading: No such file or directory
Here's the fix. Even though 'tail --help' says that 'tail +N' is supported, it's not (try it on the command line if you don't believe me). This is what's causing the savefile to not capture everything. SImply change all instances of:
Code:
tail +2
in /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy to:
Code:
awk 'NR>=2'
and the problem is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2531
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013, 00:30    Post subject:  

That toughbook -- if the specs I found are correct -- should run a lot of newer Puppies / Puplets just fine. You don't need ClassicPup for a Pentium M! (It's really more for P2/P3 hardware -- and then only if you're quite patient.)

I'll not make a mess by recommending other Puplets in this thread (unless ttuuuxxx says it's OK), but if you want to PM me I'll gladly give you a list of ones to try. I will say that most of the Puppies / Puplets with an active download link will work absolutely fine as long as they don't mention a little thing called "PAE" that doesn't work with (most) Pentium M CPUs.

By the way -- I was playing around with some hardware a couple months ago that had a Celeron M 600MHz (yeah, they made one that slow -- it's the ULV version) and wound up using one of the REALLY recent Puplets on it because the only things that would boot were either (a) even older than ClassicPup or (b) brand spankin' new. Ah, fun with weird hardware (lol)...

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 1.1! Get the PetGet patch on pg8; it's important.
Next system will be an HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo in an innovative case... if I ever get off my butt and build it Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
greengeek

Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 2086
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Tue 28 May 2013, 01:03    Post subject: Re: Savefile bug report and fix  

zekebaby wrote:
Here's the fix. Even though 'tail --help' says that 'tail +N' is supported, it's not (try it on the command line if you don't believe me). This is what's causing the savefile to not capture everything
I wonder if some other puppies might be affected by this too. I must have a closer look at this on my Slacko53 machine which refuses to keep it's network settings consistently. Thanks zeke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yellodog

Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Fri 31 May 2013, 19:21    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
That toughbook -- if the specs I found are correct -- should run a lot of newer Puppies / Puplets just fine. You don't need ClassicPup for a Pentium M! (It's really more for P2/P3 hardware -- and then only if you're quite patient.)

Nah, 2.14X takes my Athlon 1.8 Ghz built in 2003 to its limits, every time I watch Youtube-clips.
I'm very happy, I can though.
So, 2.14X is definitely for at least a bit more recent machines, which had about 256 MB RAM at the time (like mine).

I also tried 2.14X on a PII - it does boot, but it is not usable at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Dewbie

Joined: 15 Apr 2010
Posts: 1763

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jun 2013, 05:21    Post subject:  

yellodog wrote:
Quote:
I also tried 2.14X on a PII - it does boot, but it is not usable at all.

Have a look at my last post over here.
Are you experiencing something similar?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yellodog

Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Mon 10 Jun 2013, 18:10    Post subject:  

Dewbie wrote:
yellodog wrote:
Quote:
I also tried 2.14X on a PII - it does boot, but it is not usable at all.

Have a look at my last post over here.
Are you experiencing something similar?

Can't tell, because the PII (bought in 1998) had to go I think two years ago.
The oldest PC I use is 10 years old now ... which is also really ancient. I suggest getting at least such a machine. Matter of just a few bucks today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
tubeguy


Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 1320
Location: Park Ridge IL USA

PostPosted: Wed 12 Jun 2013, 09:54    Post subject:  

ttuuxxx wrote:
also guys if you see the lung thing after my post, its basically I stopped smoking after 25+ years and started vaping


Fellow vaper here. Wink

_________________
Toshiba M115-S1061: PupServer |HP/Compaq D330ST: Dpup 486
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
clarf


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 612
Location: The old Lone Wolf

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2013, 15:43    Post subject: Re: Savefile bug report and fix  

zekebaby wrote:
I decided to install 2.14X Top10 on my vintage 1999 Panasonic Toughbook CF-T2 - Welcome to Jurassic Computing, I had played around with 2.14X as a live distro before, but never tried a frugal install. Works great except . . .

I found a bug! My savefile seems to keep most of my settings, but not all of them (transmission speed settings for example). Hmmmm. I also noticed the following error flash on my screen at shutdown:
Code:
tail: cannot open `+2' for reading: No such file or directory
Here's the fix. Even though 'tail --help' says that 'tail +N' is supported, it's not (try it on the command line if you don't believe me). This is what's causing the savefile to not capture everything. SImply change all instances of:
Code:
tail +2
in /usr/sbin/snapmergepuppy to:
Code:
awk 'NR>=2'
and the problem is gone.


Nice found zeke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
clarf


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 612
Location: The old Lone Wolf

PostPosted: Thu 18 Jul 2013, 15:54    Post subject:  

yellodog wrote:
starhawk wrote:
That toughbook -- if the specs I found are correct -- should run a lot of newer Puppies / Puplets just fine. You don't need ClassicPup for a Pentium M! (It's really more for P2/P3 hardware -- and then only if you're quite patient.)

Nah, 2.14X takes my Athlon 1.8 Ghz built in 2003 to its limits, every time I watch Youtube-clips.
I'm very happy, I can though.
So, 2.14X is definitely for at least a bit more recent machines, which had about 256 MB RAM at the time (like mine).

I also tried 2.14X on a PII - it does boot, but it is not usable at all.


Hi yellodog,

The slow problem playing youtube videos on Puppy 2.14X could be related to the old Xorg version used. You could try to tune the xorg configuration file, please read my post about the test I made on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50428.

About the hardware aim of Classic Puppy and the reason that later releases need more resources, please check this brief discussion: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553&start=3793

Regards,
clarf
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yellodog

Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Sat 20 Jul 2013, 17:20    Post subject:  

Thank you, clarf. I'm gonna check this out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
clarf


Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 612
Location: The old Lone Wolf

PostPosted: Wed 24 Jul 2013, 12:20    Post subject:  

Hi,

I have searched for the individual kernel patchs used on 2.6.18.X, just found some notes on http://puppylinux.com/development/compilekernel.htm:

"Puppy 2.12 has kernel 2.6.18.1 and has three patches; squashfs, default console loglevel and via shutdown fix."

BarryK additional notes:

"loglevel -- for Puppy quiet bootup
dpath -- maybe, for dazuko
ksize -- maybe, for aufs" (Classic puppy 2.14X use unionfs, not needed)

1. dpath:

    http://fossies.org/linux/privat/dazuko-2.3.9.tar.gz:a/dazuko-2.3.9/README.linux26

    Note: This document indicates that the patch is only needed when running an SMP kernel and __d_path() is not exported, although 2.6.18.X kernels on Puppy 2 versions are not compiled with SMP these patches where included, maybe for other applications requirements or older dazuko versions...

    Note2: I found the reason BarryK compiled the driver to not use its inbuilt function (http://puppylinux.com/news/news213-214.htm), the pre-patched kernel can be configured for SMP:

    "I also compiled the Dazuko device driver. This is used by some virus scanner and intrusion detection software, and the source package has examples that show how someone can write their own software to use it.
    I configured with '--mapfile=/usr/src/linux-2.6.18.1/System.map --enable-syscalls --disable-local-dpath' -- the latter option means that the device driver will use the '__d_path' function exported from the kernel rather than its own inbuilt function, which apparently is required for an SMP kernel (the inbuilt __d_path function is unsafe with a SMP kernel)."


    Patch attached (from dazuko-2.3.9.tar.gz).

    "Usage:
    patch /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/fs/dcache.c patch_dpath.diff"


2. Loglevel:

    Information from: http://bkhome.org/sources/kernel-2.6.21.7-pup4.1retro/patches-required.txt
    -----------

    "I edited kernel/printk.c:

    /* We show everything that is MORE important than this.. */
    #define MINIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL 1 /* Minimum loglevel we let people use */
    /* BK change from 7 to 3...
    #define DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL 7 */ /* anything MORE serious than KERN_DEBUG */
    #define DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL 3"


3. ksize, required by aufs


    Patch attached.

    "Usage:
    patch -p0 < ../ksize.patch"


4. via shutdown fix:

    Well it was a hard one to find, the history of this patch on Puppy starts in this thread: http://puppylinux.com/news/news211-212.htm,

    Quote:
    Ted Dog
    Saturday, November 4, 2006, 08:38 AM
    One of my three VIA C3 800Mz machine errors with this same bug listed here.
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/25/251
    found in v2.12beta1, so FYI it is NOT a puppy compile bug.
    But it kills the use of one of my computers

    Ted Dog
    Saturday, November 4, 2006, 08:43 AM
    fixed here
    http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/10/17/62


    Basically this kernel patch is used to remove a previous patch that was added on 2.6.18 kernel, and later definitively removed for 2.6.18.2 and 2.6.19 kernels (https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3691). For this reason this patch is not used on later Puppys kernels and not included in BarryK "linux-2.6.18.8-src-patched_loglevel_squashfs_unionfs.tar.gz" file.

    Patch attached.

    "Usage:
    patch quirks.c < via.patch"


Regards,
via.patch.zip
Description  via patch for 2.6.18.1 kernel only
zip

 Download 
Filename  via.patch.zip 
Filesize  778 Bytes 
Downloaded  151 Time(s) 
ksize.patch.zip
Description  ksize patch, required by Aufs
zip

 Download 
Filename  ksize.patch.zip 
Filesize  321 Bytes 
Downloaded  153 Time(s) 
patch_dpath.zip
Description  patch to modify the fs/dcache.c file
zip

 Download 
Filename  patch_dpath.zip 
Filesize  446 Bytes 
Downloaded  166 Time(s) 
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
yellodog

Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Posts: 7

PostPosted: Wed 31 Jul 2013, 05:24    Post subject:  

clarf wrote:
The slow problem playing youtube videos on Puppy 2.14X could be related to the old Xorg version used. You could try to tune the xorg configuration file, please read my post about the test I made on 2.14X http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=50428.

Finally found time to test it. Adding these lines to xorg.conf seems to have a positive effect indeed (graphics chip: S3 ProSavage, interesting, Puppy 2.14X supports this at all!). At least it feels so. I also use to look at the CPU-monitor in the sys-tray, CPU-usage seems to be generally lower watching clips. Hard to tell though, because sometimes it goes up again too ... After all, I think, it did something. So, thank you very much!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 326 of 331 [4962 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 324, 325, 326, 327, 328, 329, 330, 331 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1063s ][ Queries: 15 (0.0202s) ][ GZIP on ]