Considering puppy but have questions.

Booting, installing, newbie
irishsage

Considering puppy but have questions.

#1 Post by irishsage »

I have used puppy before thought it was fast but could not get my wireless to work with it but now I see it seems Linux has more support as I installed Mepis 6 a few weeks and my broadcom43xx card works fine with that. The problem with Mepis is it is slower than puppy and actually slower than Windows xp :shock: . The only thing I do not like about puppy is booting from the cd I would like to install it permanently.

Questions:
I know in windows there is program Alcohol 120 that puts a virtual cd/dvd drive on the harddrive and was wondering if there was some way to do that in Linux and then have puppy boot from the virtual drive?

Does Ardour gtk,amorak,K3b, and gnutella work with puppy?

Using KDE with puppy if you change themes do the changes remain permanent or do you have to change it everytime you boot up?

I see there is a community edition with KDE and Open Office does Puppy still run fast when using these programs and I only have 128 megs of ram in my laptop will it still load inside that?

Can I allocate more ram to a swap partition for puppy or does puppy automatically make a swap partition itself?

CatmanDru

#2 Post by CatmanDru »

installing to and booting from the hard disc is one of puppy's many booting options.

you can use simple easy programs that puppy contains to make a swap partition that puppy will automatically use.

cobelloy

#3 Post by cobelloy »

does your wireless card work in puppy, please let us know here

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=70462#70462

rarsa

Re: Considering puppy but have questions.

#4 Post by rarsa »

irishsage wrote: I know in windows there is program Alcohol 120 that puts a virtual cd/dvd drive on the harddrive and was wondering if there was some way to do that in Linux and then have puppy boot from the virtual drive?
No need to do this. Puppy can be installed permanently in several different ways. The most common are the "full install" and the "frugal" install.

I prefer the Frugal install as you just need to copy three files from your CD to and ext3 partition in your HDD and configure your boot loader to boot from there.
irishsage wrote: Does Ardour gtk,amorak,K3b, and gnutella work with puppy?
A linux is a linux is a linux. So the answer is Yes.
irishsage wrote: Using KDE with puppy if you change themes do the changes remain permanent or do you have to change it everytime you boot up?
It depends on how you use puppy. If you use it 100% into ram without a save file then settings are not saved. If you have a save file, then settings are saved.
irishsage wrote: I see there is a community edition with KDE and Open Office does Puppy still run fast when using these programs and I only have 128 megs of ram in my laptop will it still load inside that?
I believe it does. Puppy is still faster than using KDE in another distro but slower than using another WindowManager.
irishsage wrote: Can I allocate more ram to a swap partition for puppy or does puppy automatically make a swap partition itself?
You can create a swap partition whatever size you want. If you have 128 MB ram I'd recommend 128 MB swap. If you find out that you are using applications that require more, then I'd recommend increasing the physichal memory as too mush swaping will make your computer very slow and reduce the life of your HDD.
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to