alphaOS [closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ndrancs

Pwireless2 issue

#481 Post by ndrancs »

hi all. :)

I've found a solution to my wifi problems.
we have to edit the following file:
/usr/local/Pwireless2/interface
contents with this:

Code: Select all

wlan0
change the contents of:
/usr/local/Pwireless2/start-wpa

. /usr/local/Pwireless2/config
INTERFACE=`cat /usr/local/Pwireless2/interface`

ifconfig $INTERFACE up
$WPA_SUPPLICANT  -d -Dwext -i$INTERFACE -c/usr/local/Pwireless2/wpa_supplicant.conf -f /tmp/wpa_supplicant.log & 
sleep 3 
$WPA_CLI -a /usr/local/Pwireless2/wpa_monitor&
be like this:

. /usr/local/Pwireless2/config
INTERFACE=`cat /usr/local/Pwireless2/interface`

ifconfig $INTERFACE up
$WPA_SUPPLICANT -d -Dwext -i$INTERFACE -c/usr/local/Pwireless2/wpa_supplicant.conf & 
sleep 3
$WPA_CLI -a /usr/local/Pwireless2/wpa_monitor &
but for the record that wlan0 should have been detected by the kernel.
please check with iwconfig.

I hope may be helpful.

Kruppt

Re: Boot using grub.

#482 Post by Kruppt »

tony wrote:Hi,

I would like to boot alpha OS 7.0 as a frugal install using grub.

What would menu.lst look like and how much work would have to be done first?

Regards Tony.

Example Below for Grub Legacy:

title AlphaOS (sdb1)
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
  kernel /alphaOS/vmlinuz psubdir=alphaOS pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /alphaOS/initrd.gz

title AlphaOS RAM mode (sdb1)
  rootnoverify (hd1,0)
  kernel /alphaOS/vmlinuz psubdir=alphaOS pmedia=atahd pfix=ram,fsck
  initrd /alphaOS/initrd.gz

tony

#483 Post by tony »

Thanks Kruppt,

using your info I successfully booted but did not get much further.

My Broadcom 4313 did not have a driver, also the wired interface did not work.

Numbers lock was on, so configuring was difficult.

My clock settings were changed on my other pups.

A lot of work is needed on this one.

Regards Tony.

mcewanw

#484 Post by mcewanw »

tony wrote:Thanks Kruppt,

using your info I successfully booted but did not get much further.

My Broadcom 4313 did not have a driver, also the wired interface did not work.

Numbers lock was on, so configuring was difficult.

My clock settings were changed on my other pups.

A lot of work is needed on this one.

Regards Tony.
I do not agree with your summary Tony. This alphaOS distribution is already very good in my opinion.

Personally I have no trouble with an ethernet connection on my machine; I haven't tried wireless.

Yes, the numbers lock is on by default, when it would be better off I feel. But that is a trivial fix - you just need to edit /etc/rc.conf, which is where that is configured. EDIT: Correction. You can set numlock off by default in /root/.start

The hardware clock being wrongly set at boot is an issue but not difficult to fix in current release, and one which could well be addressed in the next release of alphaOS. As I've posted earlier, adding as a first line to the file /root/.start the following

/etc/init.d/hwclock start
assuming the also documented above (by ndrancs) modification to the /init.d/hwclock script has also been made, addresses the problem;

or without needing to alter /init.d/hwclock, simply putting the following first line in /root/.start:

hwclock --hctosys --localtime
should also fix the hardware clock issue.

Other than these relatively minor details, I personally feel that alphaOS is the most exciting puppy 'fork' around, and surprisingly polished at such an early stage of development. Being able to use pacman is simply fantastic.

The developer should be encouraged to progress this great and relatively unique piece of work and I'd like to see more developers taking an interest in this particular project.
Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 13 Jun 2013, 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
github mcewanw

tony

#485 Post by tony »

Hi mcewanw,

I agree that developers of a new project should be encouraged. It takes a lot of hard work and for every ten users where everything works fine there is one user with issues. In my case it is the wi-fi driver for the Broadcom 4313.

With no driver there is no internet access, you have to use another distro to hunt one down and then install it.

So to kick things off, where are the drivers for arch and how are they installed?

You might also consider centralizing the feedback in one place, either here or on your other forum.

Regards Tony.

mcewanw

#486 Post by mcewanw »

I am not the developer of alphaOS Tony; just a happy user. I think discussions on alphaOS started here on murga forum because it derives then forks from Puppy. However, I have a feeling most discussions now have moved over to the main alphaOS forum especially since alphaOS appears to gradually drifts away from being Puppy-like - though some core Puppy stuff is part of its boot process at least I think. For a while at least I think it is handy to keep Puppy people informed of alphaOS developments so I tend to post some stuff still in this thread.
github mcewanw

xstylezx

#487 Post by xstylezx »

Wireless drivers have been a problem for me on archpup, alphaOS and the new alphaOS based on arch again. I had to track down my drivers from a puppy that worked and kind of dirty hack them onto the old archpup and alphaOS. Truthfully, this OS that simargl is working on is amazing! I would be using it on a daily basis as I love arch and love the ability to boot off usb with persistence, but just a few nagging issues such as wireless makes it a real pain for me.

zd1211rw drivers simargl. I've mentioned it before, but to my knowledge they haven't been added yet. Going to go check on alphaOS forums. I keep an eye on this project, I have high hopes for it 8)

simargl

#488 Post by simargl »

zd1211rw module is already enabled

#find lib/modules -name zd1211rw*
lib/modules/3.9.1-ALPHAOS/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw
lib/modules/3.9.1-ALPHAOS/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/zd1211rw/zd1211rw.ko

Maybe you can try new firmware package extracted from Porteus,old one was from Puppy Precise but had some wrong permissions.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/sources/

With MODULES variable in /etc/rc.conf, you can force kernel module to be loaded on boot.

smil99

printing in alphaos

#489 Post by smil99 »

Printing in alphaos has been a hit and run at least, for me until rcrsn51 offered his printing solutions which worked quite well in alphaOS V6. Unfortunately, the problem resurfaced after reverting to arch base in V7 as rcrsn51's packages became redundant.

Since then, I have been experimenting with various installations of cups in V7 all to no avail. With a little hope of success left in me, my last attempt was to copy manually (although I might have left some out or copied some irrelevant files), cups and all its related files/folders from V6 iso. I then added this to rcrsn51's packages and installed them using the method provided by him, that is "sh install.sh".

To my amazement, CUPS 1.4.8 now works perfectly in my frugal install of alphaOS V7 :D ! Since my method seems quite crude, I hope rcrsn51 will read this and make the necessary changes to his cups packages for printing to work in alphaOS V7.
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

rcrsn51

#490 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sorry. When alphaOS suddenly switched to an all-arch system, I lost interest.

simargl

#491 Post by simargl »

smil99 wrote:With a little hope of success left in me, my last attempt was to copy manually (although I might have left some out or copied some irrelevant files), cups and all its related files/folders from V6 iso.
You can try to install cups 1.4.8 from Arch using downgrade https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrade/, That program allows to install any version of any package all back to 2009.
rcrsn51 wrote:Sorry. When alphaOS suddenly switched to an all-arch system, I lost interest.
Well, I didn't have much choice when no one wanted to help maintaining repository. Now everything is available from Arch, there is choice for people to install what they want, no more requests for adding various packages. I continued using version compiled from scratch - just moved packages repository to http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/packages/

simargl

#492 Post by simargl »

Uploading testing release with following changes:

- eudev-204 replaces udev-175
- /sbin, /usr/sbin and /usr/local folders removed, now binaries can be either in /bin (if needed during boot) or /usr/bin (all the others). This change is needed to stay in line with Arch filesystem after this news https://www.archlinux.org/news/binaries ... ervention/, and I think their decision make sense.
- using pekwm instead of openbox (also ported openbox-menu to pekwm-menu)
- fixed system time of boot
- new slightly bigger linux-firmware package extracted from Porteus.
- this iso is not based on Arch.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos/files/testing/

smil99

#493 Post by smil99 »

simargl wrote:
You can try to install cups 1.4.8 from Arch
Thanks for the pointer. However, my alphaOS installation is working quite well right now and I don't want to temper with anything yet :)
Uploading testing release ...
--- this iso is not based on Arch ...
Now wait a minute, .... are you reverting to spkg based or a fair marriage with puppy this time? Seriously, I think you have a fine product here. However, as has been stated elsewhere, I think you need to clearly define your goals and relentlessly pursue it in order to gain user confidence .... just my two cents .... hope it will be taken in good faith :wink:

Anyway, I tried the testing release and it looks good only that Pwireless2 seems broken as I couldn't connect to the Internet. You may consider looking at frisbee as it is working quite well in other puppies, Barry has already included it in his latest version of precise puppy.

rcrsn51 wrote:
Sorry. When alphaOS suddenly switched to an all-arch system, I lost interest
That is rather unfortunate mate :( .... Nevertheless, I hope to see you here again one day as you are indispensable as far as printing issues are concerned in puppyland,
Cheers.
[b][color=green]Success is never ending. ... Failure is never final![/color][/b]
[size=75][i](Used with kind permission from jejy69)[/i][/size]

yr1945

#494 Post by yr1945 »

I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this test release?

I was able to get online with pwireless... but, it took some tinkering.

Firefox works fine... Savefile works fine... in fact, all the basics worked fine.

OS seems slower than version 7 (which I do use at various times thanks to pacman).

As indicated before, I have numerous Gnumeric spreadsheets... but, package manager does not have it available. Therefore, I cannot use this particular Version even if I wanted too.

However, I do want to Thank You for all of your hard work. You have a very promising OS with version 7.

ps: I'm just a "novice" user... know just enough about Linux to survive (thanks to all of the helpful users on this website).

simargl

#495 Post by simargl »

yr1945 wrote:I don't know what you are trying to accomplish with this test release?
This iso is released for testing purpose, eudev is big change and I just wanted more users to test it. Basically if Xorg shows up on boot it is success, if pwireless works that is huge success. Iso is not meant to be used as everyday system, it even doesn't have release version :wink:. For me Xorg used vesa driver on boot, and I had to force it to load i915.
smil99 wrote:However, as has been stated elsewhere, I think you need to clearly define your goals...
It's defined as Arch+Puppy+pacman :D -JWM
I think this system is already popular enough, with almost 1000 downloads per week (40% are from Italy, so saluto Italia :wink: )
http://sourceforge.net/projects/alphaos ... s/timeline

There is tutorial in Spanish, see how nice is that terminal background...
http://www.taringa.net/posts/linux/1683 ... antes.html
smil99 wrote: Anyway, I tried the testing release and it looks good only that Pwireless2 seems broken as I couldn't connect to the Internet.
try to delete /var/run and make symbolic link: ln -s /run /var/run
smil99 wrote: You may consider looking at frisbee as it is working quite well in other puppies, Barry has already included it in his latest version of precise puppy.
I looked it once, but frisbee is divided into many packages, and I don't know what to install. Don't forget, I don't have wireless at all.

Edit:
There is Puppy release with eudev http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00294, download is too slow :( , but I must test that one with i915 module.

simargl

#496 Post by simargl »

After some play with the logo... You like it? or not?
Attachments
drawing1.png
(17.33 KiB) Downloaded 1128 times

smil99

#497 Post by smil99 »

After some play with the logo... You like it? or not?
I think it looks great :) .

Cheers.

simargl

#498 Post by simargl »

Thanks smil99, I like square logos and this light blue is my favourite color.
I will attach original svg, you see that big "a" is just copied from your logo.
Attachments
logo.svg.tar.gz
(2.15 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

simargl

#499 Post by simargl »

Short update about next version (8.0):
- It will have kernel 3.9.6
- arch packages from 2013/06/17
- eudev git+20130609 (equivalent to systemd 204)
- folders /usr/sbin, /sbin and /usr/local removed
- firefox will return - that will make iso size bigger (between 125-130MB)

I managed to solve issue with blank screen on boot, now this version is working here without any problems, so I will upload new version's iso sometime next week.

AbdelAziz

#500 Post by AbdelAziz »

...next version (8.0):
- firefox will return - that will make iso size bigger (between 125-130MB)
what about a bare bone version without any browser, and user may install what he like Firefox/Chrome/Opera/SeaMonkey...