Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 23 Apr 2014, 06:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
xhippo GUI mini audio and video player with button icons
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 15 Jun 2013, 19:26    Post subject:  xhippo GUI mini audio and video player with button icons
Subject description: Very flexible and user-extendible; many features, and lowest in resource usage

xhippo is a very resource-efficient versatile and extensible media player both in terms of its tiny download size and RAM usage.

Iif you have a directory (or directories) with audio and/or video media files in it, just drag it onto the main xhippo window and all the contained media files will all play in order (or random shuffled if so selected).

If you have albums of media files stored in subdirectories, they will indeed be included one after the other (or in the random track shuffle)!

You can also right-click on the main xhippo window and select Properties if you want to change startup defaults...

Can also right-click on any folder or media file in Rox filemanager and immediately send it to play in xhippo (thanks to shinobar's examples of how to arrange that in Rox configs).

Right-clicking in the xhippo GUI also provides another method for quickly adding songs or directories.

Rather than just trying the program, you might like to read some documentation. I recently stumbled across the following:

http://www.hep.by/gnu/xhippo/xhippo_toc.html#SEC_Contents

If you want to make xhippo your default audio player just edit /usr/local/bin/defaultaudio player and replace word "pmusic" with "xhippo". Alternatively just run the following script...

Code:

#!/bin/sh
sed -i -e 's_exec pmusic_#exec pmusic_' /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer
echo 'exec xhippo "$@"' >> /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer

As provided in this dotpet, xhippo uses the underlying commandline utilities lame and aplay to play mp3s and wav files. For video it uses mplayer. All of these are in most Puppy distributions by default.

If you wish mplayer to always start fullscreen you can add the mplayer option -fs to the relevant extension stanza in /usr/local/etc/xhippo.config, as described in the additional HowTo about this which I have provided here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86741.

Mplayer can also be controlled via the keyboard. For example, use keyboard key F to toggle in and out of fullscreen mode), P to Pause, and the Left and Right cursor keys to jump back and forwards in increments through a video. Please refer to mplayer man page for other options and keyboard control keys: http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html#INTERACTIVE%20CONTROL

With goingnuts kind permission, I have uploaded his patches (most parts of which continue to be used - with additions of my own - in my latest compilation) here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86772

I originally compiled a version of xhippo a year ago using patches provided to me by goingnuts that added icons to the GUI buttons and fixed the issue with spaces in directory names not being allowed. All credit should therefore go to goingnuts for these additions. I have since modified the code further (to make toggled Pause/Play button icons work correctly etc) and once I have testing that further I will upload the extra patch to above url.

Once bugfixed the patches for any improvements will be sent to xhippo author (Adam Sampson) in case he wants to incorporate any of them into official version. Otherwise a renamed fork could be released I suppose.

KNOWN ISSUES:

None that I know of.

Note that goingnuts provided a gtk+ 1 static build version of this here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=621559#621559 That build also doesn't include my lame|aplay and mplayer for video files additions to xhippo.config.
xhippo-3.5mod007-gtk2-i486.pet
Description  xhippo improved GUI audio/video player with button icons and rightclick ROX mediafile
pet

Download 
Filename  xhippo-3.5mod007-gtk2-i486.pet 
Filesize  31.26 KB 
Downloaded  199 Time(s) 
screen_sample.png
 Description   xhippo screenshot showing right-click dropdown control menu
 Filesize   70.28 KB
 Viewed   569 Time(s)

screen_sample.png

Last edited by mcewanw on Fri 21 Jun 2013, 07:19; edited 36 times in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 04:04    Post subject:  

Yes, that looks good - the problem with filename spaces is gone now. I did try playing an flv but it said "could not guess type" or similar. Is it easy to add types?
mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 06:09    Post subject: re-uploaded the xhippo dotpet but no change to main program
Subject description: Just added few new media types to xhippo.config

greengeek wrote:
Yes, that looks good - the problem with filename spaces is gone now. I did try playing an flv but it said "could not guess type" or similar. Is it easy to add types?

Yes, just look at the howto on editing /etc/local/xhippo.config. However, for this case I have just reuploaded the dotpet with flv type included. I don't have any flv files to test it with but if mplayer can handle it then should work fine.

If you don't want to redownload and reinstall the dotpet you can just add the extra ones manually by editing xhippo.config. I added a few others; again depends on mplayer if they have any effect, but won't cause harm having them included:

Code:

type:flv:mplayer -really-quiet
type:f4v:mplayer -really-quiet
type:rm:mplayer -really-quiet
type:aac:mplayer -really-quiet -vo null

Note that the xhippo author warns that you have to be careful not to add any extra spaces at the end of any entered lines into xhippo.conf as it uses a very simple parser to read entries.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sun 16 Jun 2013, 19:25    Post subject: New version xhippo dotpet uploaded - provides ROX sendto
Subject description: Provides rightclick most any media file in ROX and sendto xhippo

With this version if you right-click on most any media file you can immediately send the file to xhippo for playing (thanks shinobar). You can also ROX right-click on a directory containing mediafiles and sendto xhippo directly. Please uninstall any existing xhippo installation (including any xhippo config files (in /root/.xhippo, /etc, /usr/local/etc for example) before installing this new one below. You may wish to first back up any existing xhippo.config you already have.

If you want to make xhippo your default audio player just edit /usr/local/bin/defaultaudio player and replace word "pmusic" with "xhippo". Alternatively just run the following script...

Code:

#!/bin/sh
sed -i -e 's_exec pmusic_#exec pmusic_' /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer
echo 'exec xhippo "$@"' >> /usr/local/bin/defaultaudioplayer

mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013, 20:19    Post subject: refresh.png image missing from /usr/share/pixmaps in dotpet  

Whilst quickly brushing up on gtk+ 2 programming I have discovered that the icon missing from the Restart Button is simply that the image refresh.png (size 16x16) is missing in /usr/share/pixmaps... I'll add that into the dotpet and reupload. There is still a coding fix required to make the pause button image to toggle from pause.png to play.png but that's not a big deal.

Last edited by mcewanw on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 21:58; edited 1 time in total
mcewanw

PostPosted: Mon 17 Jun 2013, 21:09    Post subject: New upload - first button icon now displaying correctly  

New version uploaded to first post in this thread with refresh icon now displaying correctly in first button.

I've added a screenshot to the first post.

KNOWN ISSUE REMAINING:

This xhippo compilation has one known problem: Pressing pause button should toggle icon between a play icon and a pause one. In practice this doesn't really matter (cosmetic only), but will try and fix that later.

mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013, 15:46    Post subject: xhippo plays through whole series of loaded media folders
Subject description: straight or random shuffle

Note that you can drop an many folders as you like onto xhippo (or load them from its dropdown menu) and xhippo will then play through them all one after the other or by random shuffle
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013, 19:46    Post subject:  

I have now successfully hacked the C source code such that the Pause/Play button icon toggle between Pause and Play as desired. I'll upload a new dotpet with the changed gtk+ 2 code once I've tested further and maybe tidied up the code a little. I'll have to also test it with gtk+ 1 at some stage after which I'll also upload the patches.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jun 2013, 22:35    Post subject: New gtk2 xhippo dotpet (modification 5) uploaded.
Subject description: Includes toggling the icons on the Pause/Play button

New xhippo dotpet (modification 5) uploaded. This one includes toggling the icons on the Pause/Play button. I've also reverted the code to include the checkbox for Random/Shuffle, because I found the toggle button annoying because it didn't clearly indicate if Random mode was selected or not.

Note that xhippo includes the feature that when you Load (or drag and drop) a directory into its window ALL media files (audio and video) in that directory and subdirectories (recursively) will be added and played (either in order or randomly shuffled if selected)...

I've still to test the new additions and alterations I've made to the xhippo source code for gtk+ 1 version, before uploading source code patches, but tested ok so far for the gtk+ 2 version. Once I managed to get the pause/play button icons to toggle successfully I discovered more code was required for the handlers of the other buttons to avoid side-effects. The new dotpet posted now has all the additions and seems to work without error. Would appreciate further help with testing however.

Tote

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 03:45    Post subject:  

Hello there, I've been trying the mod 5 version in Dpup Wheezy, I used Preferences to select ' start with random off' and 'start playing automatically', but the selections don't appear to be saved when XHippo is closed and restarted.

Also, I've been trying to play .wav files Embarassed I looked in Xhippo config, I 'think' it's included but I can't play them... it's quite likely I'm doing something wrong, most technical things go right over my head.

Thank you.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 05:55    Post subject:  

Tote wrote:
Hello there, I've been trying the mod 5 version in Dpup Wheezy, I used Preferences to select ' start with random off' and 'start playing automatically', but the selections don't appear to be saved when XHippo is closed and restarted.

Also, I've been trying to play .wav files :oops: I looked in Xhippo config, I 'think' it's included but I can't play them... it's quite likely I'm doing something wrong, most technical things go right over my head.

Thank you.

You are correct on both counts.

The player currently in xhippo.config file for wav is "play", which is what was there by default - I didn't notice (I rarely use wavs) but should have changed it to "aplay" which is what most Puppies come with by default. The not saving preferences bit I'm not checked yet but will look into it tomorrow (late night here just now) - hopefully an easy fix!

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 16:53    Post subject:  

is it possible to use cvlc as a backend for this?
mcewanw

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jun 2013, 18:12    Post subject: new dotpet uploaded - fixes wav playing
Subject description: and makes ordered playing the default mode

New dotpet uploaded (mod6). Fixed wav playing. Also set non-random-shuffle mode for the default because I preferred that too.

@Tote: I checked the original xhippo and it doesn't save Preferences either (only the mini gui state) so what you have asked for is a feature request. May or may not be easy to add - I'll look into that. The Preferences drop down is thus currently only useful for a running xhippo unfortunately; it just deals with the Preferences array in memory - a bit more difficult to save into a new xhippo.config, but possible to arrange of course. Also, I think autostart playing is only for songs entered on commandline, not for drag and dropped directories; the latter would be useful, so another feature request...
You can however change all default startup prefs in xhippo.config (just change no to yes or viceversa at the appropriate config lines). I still have to double check the source code to make sure saving capability isn't already in there - but I will.

sc0ttman wrote:
is it possible to use cvlc as a backend for this?

Yes, cvlc could be used as a backend instead of mplayer. Basically, media type entries with mplayer in xhippo.config would be replaced with cvlc and appropriate options. I don't have cvlc on my system to test at the moment though.

@sc0ttman: If you end up making an alternative xhippo.config for use in akita and send it to me I could upload it here as a dotpet addon if you wish. That would be better than making a whole new separate xhippo dotpet especially since I may still further develop the underlying xhippo binary with feature requests etc.

Actually, xhippo can use almost any commandline program as a backend - commandline image viewers for example, any kind of shell script (I use a shell script called xhippo_mp3 to pipe lame to aplay for mp3s) - like I said: very versatile and extensible.

Tote

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013, 02:31    Post subject:  

mod 6 works nice with the random/shuffle turned off, and wav files enabled.

I'm not sure if it matters about the automatic play feature when using drag and drop... It might be nice, but since it only takes about a second to actually physically click on the first track to make it play, it sounds a little bit like nit-picking... I must be getting lazy...

I like using this, set it up in the background and let it run, hassle free. Very useful, thank you.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Thu 20 Jun 2013, 04:43    Post subject: xhippo mod7 dotpet uploaded
Subject description: sets video window lower right corner in fixed position

xhippo mod7 dotpet uploaded

Just a bit of fine tuning to xhippo.config because when playing a directory of videos I didn't want the window to jump to different positions as it did before:

The new default xhippo.config sets video window lower right corner in fixed position (near bottom and near right side). Remember that you can always toggle a video window to fullscreen simply by using keyboard key F. And you can jump back and forwards in a running video with left and right cursor keys, and pause with keyboard key P (or xhippo pause button).

You can adjust the default video window position by manually editing /usr/local/etc/xhippo.config (but take a backup first in case you mess up the format):

It is just a matter of editing the geometry parameters given to mplayer. For example, the default provided:
Code:

type:mp4:mplayer -really-quiet -geometry -32-64

can be changed to:
Code:

type:mp4:mplayer -really-quiet -geometry +0+0

to set video window at top right hand corner. You could also set an exact video window size at the same time if you wish (but specifying XxY video size does mess up original video aspect ratio of course):
Code:

type:mp4:mplayer -really-quiet -geometry 640x480+0+0

When editing xhippo.config be particularly careful not to add any extra spaces at end of lines.

Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: