Booting, installing, newbie
AndyInMokum

Problem with WEP conection [SOLVED]

#1 Post by AndyInMokum »

Greetings from Amsterdam.

Notebook: Fujitsu Amilo Li3710
Processor: Intel Celeron Dual-Core T1600 2.2GHz, 2Gb RAM
Graphics Adapter: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 4500MHD

I have just downloaded and installed Wary Puppy 5.3 to a generic 8GB thumb drive to test before I get a decent 16GB ScanDisk thumb drive. It boots up with absolutely no problems, (very nice it is too). The problem I'm having is with my WEP connection. Firstly with recommended connection process, it cannot establish a connection and with the other mode, I get a connection, (apparently) but I cannot actually connect to the internet. For example Seamonkey cannot find any server. All of the codes and keys are correct and triple checked. Nothing seems to work. :(

Has anyone else experienced this and if they have, could you give me a solution in simple terms because I'm very much a newbie with Linux. Many thanks.
Last edited by AndyInMokum on Wed 19 Jun 2013, 12:27, edited 2 times in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Honestly...what crappy support.

20 minutes lost trying to see what wireless Fujitsu gave you.

Please post your Windows specs for wireless...
under device drivers to confirm.

:::::::::::

Should work...but I would advise these first >>> my 5th post.

Has all the download links.

And use Frisbee first....easy wireless setup for Puppy.

Try >> Dpup Exprimo ....>>>>FIRST.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86421

""""

Realtek...Please confirm this for the next bloke.

http://driverscollection.com/?aid=42762 ... d0d5bb8501

V62.1174.0701.2009\RTL8187B\Win7X64

""""""

And welcome to Puppy.

Chris.

http://www.amilo-forum.com/topic,2441,- ... i3710.html

darry1966

Re: Problem with WEP conection

#3 Post by darry1966 »

AndyInMokum wrote:Greetings from Amsterdam.

I have just downloaded and installed Wary Puppy 5.3 to a generic 8GB thumb drive to test before I get a decent 16GB ScanDisk thumb drive. It boots up with absolutely no problems, (very nice it is too). The problem I'm having is with my WEP connection. Firstly with recommended connection process, it cannot establish a connection and with the other mode, I get a connection, (apparently) but I cannot actually connect to the internet. For example Seamonkey cannot find any server. All of the codes and keys are correct and triple checked. Nothing seems to work. :(

Has anyone else experienced this and if they have, could you give me a solution in simple terms because I'm very much a newbie with Linux. Many thanks.
WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF PUPPY LINUX

DARRY1966
NEW ZEALAND

AndyInMokum

Re: Problem with WEP conection

#4 Post by AndyInMokum »

darry1966 wrote:
AndyInMokum wrote:Greetings from Amsterdam.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF PUPPY LINUX

DARRY1966
NEW ZEALAND

AndyInMokum

#5 Post by AndyInMokum »

cthisbear wrote:Honestly...what crappy support.

20 minutes lost trying to see what wireless Fujitsu gave you.

Please post your Windows specs for wireless...
under device drivers to confirm.

:::::::::::

Should work...but I would advise these first >>> my 5th post.

Has all the download links.

And use Frisbee first....easy wireless setup for Puppy.

Try >> Dpup Exprimo ....>>>>FIRST.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86421

""""

Realtek...Please confirm this for the next bloke.

http://driverscollection.com/?aid=42762 ... d0d5bb8501

V62.1174.0701.2009\RTL8187B\Win7X64

""""""

And welcome to Puppy.

Chris.

http://www.amilo-forum.com/topic,2441,- ... i3710.html

Good morning Chris

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I hope I'm using this forum correctly. I not sure how to precede because I don't have Window's and Wine doesn't want to open a GUI for UpdateMyDrivers.exe, (not that I know how to use Wine, so I'm more than likely screwing it up). As a Dutch speaker, I now know what "double Dutch" is - Linux!

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Hi Andy- how was Wary installed.. via cd with the included installer?

Rt-clk your desktop & open 'system' >> system stats >> hardinfo.

Open 'pci devices' on your left and look for a 'network' controller.

Select it in the top window then scroll the second..

Is there an associated kernel module listed?
Last edited by Semme on Mon 17 Jun 2013, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

AndyInMokum

#7 Post by AndyInMokum »

Semme wrote:Hi Andy- how was Wary installed.. via cd with the included installer?

Rt-clk your desktop & open 'system' >> system stats >> hardinfo.

Open 'pci devices' on your left and look for a 'network' controller.

Select it in the top window then scroll the second..

Is there an associated kernel module listed?
Hi again, It was installed on to a bootable thumb drive. I'm doing it again as I type onto a 16GB one. Trying the Racy version, as it may have more drivers.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Chris suggested you FIRST try 'Squeeze' pup >> the ISO in this directory.

AndyInMokum

#9 Post by AndyInMokum »

Semme wrote:Chris suggested you FIRST try 'Squeeze' pup >> the ISO in this directory.
Hi again, sorry I didn't get back to you right away, fighting with admin trying to find out where the plumber is. Okay, I've downloaded Squeeze. Is that a live iso? I've put it on a 16GB USB stick using the right click on the iso and make bootable USB stick, and it won't boot.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

And this method's from where, or while running what?
I've put it on a 16GB USB stick using the right click on the iso and make bootable USB stick, and it won't boot.

AndyInMokum

#11 Post by AndyInMokum »

AndyInMokum wrote:
Semme wrote:Chris suggested you FIRST try 'Squeeze' pup >> the ISO in this directory.
Hi again, sorry I didn't get back to you right away, fighting with admin trying to find out where the plumber is. Okay, I've downloaded Squeeze. Is that a live iso? I've put it on a 16GB USB stick using the right click on the iso and make bootable USB stick, and it won't boot.
Okay the plumbing distractions are over. I get that I have to create the bootable USB while in Puppy. This I have been trying to do for hours. Talk about cryptic instructions. They are really vague. I can get to the point where I have to select the iso to put on the thumb drive, there is also an search for iso with wild cards, I guess to make life easier. Click enter and an big red error pops up saying there is a problem mounting the usb device. I downloaded the Squeeze Puppu iso while in Puppy Squeeze and selecting that when prompted to choose an iso. Same thing, a big red error. As for finding a wireless connection with Frisbee its complete martian to me. I can find my WEP connection and I can put the key code in and nothing happens. So I've admitted defeat there. I'll play around with that when I have time to kill. I would like to get Puppy onto a usb stlick though. Can someone help me here. Many thanks.

AndyInMokum

#12 Post by AndyInMokum »

AndyInMokum wrote:
AndyInMokum wrote:
Okay the plumbing distractions are over. I get that I have to create the bootable USB while in Puppy. This I have been trying to do for hours. Talk about cryptic instructions. They are really vague. I can get to the point where I have to select the iso to put on the thumb drive, there is also an search for iso with wild cards, I guess to make life easier. Click enter and an big red error pops up saying there is a problem mounting the usb device. I downloaded the Squeeze Puppu iso while in Puppy Squeeze and selecting that when prompted to choose an iso. Same thing, a big red error. As for finding a wireless connection with Frisbee its complete martian to me. I can find my WEP connection and I can put the key code in and nothing happens. So I've admitted defeat there. I'll play around with that when I have time to kill. I would like to get Puppy onto a usb stlick though. Can someone help me here. Many thanks.
Okay I've got wireless internet now. This error while trying to flash the iso to a usb stick is a mystery. The usb stick refuses to mount. It is formatted to FAT32, I've tested with another usb stick and I get the same error and the drive wont mount. Both usb sticks work normally when flashing other iso's. Tested with openSUSE because it is nice and chunky. It boots up no problem on both. So its not the usb stick. Any insight would be great.

Burn_IT

#13 Post by Burn_IT »

Your problem is in understanding about ISO files.
ISO is a bit like a zip file in that it is a container for other files and is used with CD/DVD not flash drives. You need to start Puppy and use the script to install it to USB flash drive.
It can be done outside Puppy, but an understanding of the file systems involved is needed. It is also possible to copy the ISO to a flash drive and run it from there, but again, that is complicated.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

AndyInMokum

#14 Post by AndyInMokum »

Burn_IT wrote:Your problem is in understanding about ISO files.
ISO is a bit like a zip file in that it is a container for other files and is used with CD/DVD not flash drives. You need to start Puppy and use the script to install it to USB flash drive.
It can be done outside Puppy, but an understanding of the file systems involved is needed. It is also possible to copy the ISO to a flash drive and run it from there, but again, that is complicated.
Hi everyone. Well the good news is I got Slacko Puppy 5.5-4 working like a charm. There was a problem with the new USB stick I bought. I exchanged it today for a new 16GB ScanDisk one. The thing immediately mounted and it was almost plain sailing from there on, There is a major problem with the encryption on the first save, To put it bluntly, it doesn't work. On reboot the password isn't recognized and all kinds of errors come up, This applies to both the heavy and light encryption. With no encryption, there is no problem. Now I've got to get my head around installing it alongside Linux Mint Debian Edition and the GRUB2 problem. Any further help would be great. Many thanks for the help so far, I've learned a huge amount in a very short time, again thank you so much. :D

Sky Aisling

Problem with WEP conection

#15 Post by Sky Aisling »

AndyInMokum
Whew!
What good work for a noobie!

To help others out, would you mind going to your first post and editing in the word [SOLVED] after your subject title?
:D

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Password not recognized? Pay close attention- the file system *must be* ext2 if you want an encrypted save.

Burn_IT

#17 Post by Burn_IT »

Pay close attention

Encryption works with NTFS
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Semme

#18 Post by Semme »

Threadwise- YOU :D missed the boat!