pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
01micko

#1941 Post by 01micko »

I can vouch for mac OS-X snow-leopard, and boot's too.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#1942 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:I can vouch for mac OS-X snow-leopard, and boot's too.
So HFS is not required for Mac?

Sigmund

don570

Rockridge format for DVD is the best for Mac users

#1943 Post by don570 »

Rockridge format for DVD is the best for Mac users
but Joliet works as well. Older formats like HFS still work on a Mac DVD drive
probably ?? but I haven't tested on recent Macs.

01micko

#1944 Post by 01micko »

I just booted a macbook air with slacko-5.5 burnt with Pburn from an external CD drive. AFAIK, HFS is the old mac filesystem, currently HFSPLUS is the filesystem on the system disk. (I mounted it ro in slacko, but that is too off topic, Makato, see PM soon).

Previously, we had a vanilla macbook (circa 2009, w/Superdrive) that handled disks burnt with Pburn just fine.

HTH

zigbert

#1945 Post by zigbert »

Here is next try :D

disciple

#1946 Post by disciple »

I think it would be best to avoid slang expressions, for the sake of people with less English :) Maybe you could say something like this (although I guess translators would then need to find out what term is actually used for "Level 1" in their languages):
Old "Level 1" standard (8.3 naming)

Regarding Macs, from the information I've seen, only pre-OSX Macs should require HFS, and then they may require the -part option as well. But I don't have one to test, and I'm wondering if they even require more work.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#1947 Post by zigbert »

disciple wrote:I think it would be best to avoid slang expressions, for the sake of people with less English :) Maybe you could say something like this (although I guess translators would then need to find out what term is actually used for "Level 1" in their languages):
Old "Level 1" standard (8.3 naming)
You're right!
Could it be just "Old standard (8.3 naming)"?

disciple

#1948 Post by disciple »

Sure, but personally I prefer "very old" or "really old" ;)

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

don570

#1949 Post by don570 »

Here's how the wikki describes it
The standard has three different levels for files, here paraphrased from section 10:
Level 1: File names are limited to eight characters with a three-character extension, using upper case letters, numbers and underscore only. The maximum depth of directories is eight.
Level 2: File names are not limited to 11 characters (the 8.3 format) but can be up to the maximum allowed by the 1 byte counter in the directory entry and the filename length byte counter. Typically, this is close to 180 characters, depending on how many extended attributes are present.
Level 3: Files are allowed to be non-contiguous (i.e., fragmented), principally to allow packet writing or incremental CD recording.

So I would suggest "Old format -8.3 file naming (not recommended)"
or

"8.3 file naming (not recommended)"

You should discourage people from using that format,
since it radically changes the file names so that
it becomes difficult to recognize the file again.

01micko

#1950 Post by 01micko »

Another 2c
DOS 8.3 naming (deprecated)

Jades

Feature Request - Filtering on file windows

#1951 Post by Jades »

Feature Request
It doesn't appear to be possible to filter file windows to specific filetypes such as .iso files. See attached screen grab from attempting to import an ISO on Pburn 3.7.18 - the actual ISOs were quite a way down the list.

With regard to the discussion on changing burn option windows, I note that zigbert's example grab shows a nice Info button and an Advanced tab. The latter would be a handy place for explicitly stating the burn options where the simplified options won't suffice for the target system.
Attachments
pburn3718iso.png
Attempting to open an ISO image from a directory full of other files. Note absence of a way to filter the list.
(92.12 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#1952 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Another 2c
DOS 8.3 naming (deprecated)
That's too OS-specific, some older versions of RISC OS will also only read CDs with 8.3 naming. IIRC native Joliet support only came in with RISC OS 4.x. The relevant filing system is CDFS so "DOS" is meaningless in that context.

Just having it as "8.3 naming (deprecated)" will do - it's succinct and one can make a reasonable assumption that only people that know they need it are likely to select it anyway.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

disciple

Re: Feature Request - Filtering on file windows

#1953 Post by disciple »

Jades wrote:The latter would be a handy place for explicitly stating the burn options where the simplified options won't suffice for the target system.
Yes, but I don't think they need checkboxes and things for them. If there's an unusual combination of options someone knows they want to use, then allowing them to manually edit the command should be sufficient.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

Re: Feature Request - Filtering on file windows

#1954 Post by zigbert »

Jades wrote:Feature Request
It doesn't appear to be possible to filter file windows to specific filetypes such as .iso files. See attached screen grab from attempting to import an ISO on Pburn 3.7.18 - the actual ISOs were quite a way down the list.
It is possible to filter the content of the file-window, BUT that requires opening the file-window from an entry+button. Not from a menuitem as when import iso-image. (If this sounds like non-sense and bullshit, I totally agree with you. But it is still the way how gtkdialog works :) ). It could maybe be fixed by a invisible entry+button that are called from the menuitem, but at the same time, I want to keep the code uncluttered.

Sigmund

disciple

#1955 Post by disciple »

Does thunor know about that issue?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lekium

#1956 Post by Lekium »

Hi guys,

I burned a few DVDs with Pburn while on Puppy Linux and now they show up empty on Windows Vista.

I was using a Toshiba A200 with Windows Vista that crashed and I had to run the recovery cd. Before doing so, I put a usb pen on my Asus EEE 901 with Lubuntu, installed Unetbootin and created a Puppy Linux Live usb pen. I booted this on my Toshiba (which was freezing upon boot, so this was the only possibility), and used Pburn to backup files before runing the recovery cd.

The recovery cd was run, the system was recovered and the Toshiba is now running Vista again as new. However, the dvds I burned before in Puppy Linux with Pburn show as empty.

What can I do?

Thank you in advance,
Francisco

disciple

#1957 Post by disciple »

You're a bit off-topic, but can you read them in Puppy?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lekium

#1958 Post by Lekium »

Yes, I can.
I can boot Puppy through the pen and simply copy paste the content of each dvd after mounting the "windows" hard-drive.

Is there a better topic to post about Pburn?

disciple

#1959 Post by disciple »

No, but it seemed like you were asking about how to read those CDs, more than about the apparent problem with Pburn.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

zigbert

#1960 Post by zigbert »

Lekium
You want pBurn 4

Unfortunately it is not released yet

Sigmund