Function keys not working in Asus EEE Pc (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
yosi666

Function keys not working in Asus EEE Pc (Solved)

#1 Post by yosi666 »

Hi,
I am installing Puppy in my Asus 1015 PX Eee Pc. Slacko 5.5 and Lucid 5.2.8 work fine with it (still haven't decide which one I am going to keep). The only thing I still can't make work are the the Function Keys for the enable-disable wifi and touchpad (F2 and F3). I tried installing the acpid-1.0.10-Eee.pet from tempestuous but didn't work with Slacko (didn't try with Lucid). As far as I know this pet would only enable the wifi hotkey but not the touchpad.
Is there any way I can do this?
Thanks

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

hi yosi666

it might be worth you trying pemasus upup precise. all function keys volume, brightness wifi etc are working on my netbook.... and also suspend to ram http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=84944
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

yosi666

#3 Post by yosi666 »

Thanks for the suggestion. Very nice distro!!! I think is my favorite so far for my EEE Pc! But those two keys don't work yet. It is not very big deal but I would like them to work (specially the F3 touchpad on-off key)

pemasu

#4 Post by pemasu »

F3 button is not generic. For me it enables-disables wireless.

But I can provide you the scripts needed to enable-disable touchpad for F3 button.
You need to bind the F3 button to the command /etc/acpi/touchpad.sh

Use Xbindkeys Config Tool, possibly under Utility in Menu.
Just mess with it and you soon understand how to map the key, bind it to the command and save it for example as Touchpad.

I can provide the needed 2 files: /etc/acpi/touchpad.sh and /etc/api/touchpadstate...so that toggling between enable-disable touchpad will work. I just need to test the scripts first. Seems to work for me though.
You need to restart X after you have saved new xbindkeys config file so that it is in use.
The toggling might not have right starting value...so it might need 2 times F3 button pressing before it is effective.
Attachments
touchpad-0.0.1.pet
(511 Bytes) Downloaded 285 times

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Flash »

This thread might be helpful. Don't let the title put you off, it's got a lot of general information.

yosi666

#6 Post by yosi666 »

Thanks!!! Everything working now. Nice script, works great (and thank you very much for this amazing distro). By the way, I think I will assign it a different key binding and there is a nice shortcut in my desktop too :D

And very useful that information, Flash (always learn something new)

I am also using a simple script to turn off my wifi (the opposite to turn it on) in case I want to do it for battery saving :

Code: Select all

ifconfig wlan0 down 
iwconfig wlan0 txpower off
And I have found a very useful script to show on the screen when the caps lock button is on because this eee pc has no led (thanks to seaside and SFR). Here it is

I had forgotten how entertaining is to set up your new puppy just the way you like it!!! :D

pemasu

#7 Post by pemasu »

With ifconfig - iwconfig you dont power down the wireless chip, I think. For that, as in aeroplane it is needed, you will need to use rfkill.
Like: rfkill block wlan ....and for enabling the chip....rfkill unblock wlan.

I might be wrong also, but that is how I understand it. Not sure about power consumption reduction, but rfkill should disable the radiowave activity. It can be used for bluetooth also.

For getting good analysis of battery consumption, you will need some power consumption evaluation application...like powertop. But...for getting good information from those applications, the kernel need to be compiled with several statistics features enabled, which is against Puppy philosophy, Puppy kernel is not compiled with large log files in mind. I have compiled that power consumption evaluation kernel at my first year as Puppy builder, Snow Puppy, but since then I have kernels with less log features. Anyway...compiling powertop in Upup Precise should give you basic power consumption analyses.

I have older powertop somewhere, but it is atleast 4 years old, because I havent much checked power consumption any more.

yosi666

#8 Post by yosi666 »

Hi pemasu,
I have tried the 'rfkill block wlan' command to turn off the device but my network is working and the wifi led is still on. If I list the devices this is what I get:

Code: Select all

# rfkill list
0: asus-wlan: wlan
	Soft blocked: yes
	Hard blocked: no
1: asus-bluetooth: bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
2: hci0: bluetooth
	Soft blocked: no
It says that is soft blocked. If I try the unblock command the soft blocked state changes to 'no'.

pemasu

#9 Post by pemasu »

It seems that your wireless kernel driver is not hardblocked. My wireless will be hardblocked with rfkill. I havent studied rfkill features more. Sorry of my interference.
Anyway...Upup Precise kernel has support for rfkill features. As has official Puppy kernels nowadays.

yosi666

#10 Post by yosi666 »

Well, I don't know if this makes any sense but it seems that my wifi card is dependent on the BIOS settings. If it is disabled there, my wifi won't work at all, though the device will be detected (but won't find any network). If I enable it back at the BIOS, everything works fine again.
The funny thing (well, maybe not so funny) it is that the windows 7 installed in the EEE Pc can turn on/off the device as usual and it modifies the value in the BIOS!!!. Which means that if for any reason I turn it off in Windows I have to remember to turn it on back either on my BIOS or Windows.
Well, is not big deal, and I find this distro perfect for my netbook so far! :D