Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 09:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
At last!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 18:51    Post subject:  

I agree with all of the positive comments about Textmaker - it is what I use all the time now, but I want to mention one significant caution - If you are running your puppy from a usb stick you will find that the document you are modifying lives in RAM - it doesn't get written out to the usb stick until the pupsave is updated which might be 30mins away (depending on how you have your pupsave parameters configured)

The problem with this is that if the power goes off the document is lost. However - it is not only the current document that is lost - it is also the previous Textmaker "internal backups" that were still resident in RAM at the time of PC failure (ie: not written out to hardcopy yet)

The problem with this can become evident at the next power on - Textmaker knows that something went wrong with the previous document and attempts a recovery but it can fail because the "Textmaker internal backups" are already lost too.

In a sense this is a partial incompatibility between Textmaker and Puppy in the sense that it does not expect it's previously saved backups to be missing from hard disk or worse - corrupted.

Its possible that this affects other Word processors too, but I have yet to notice it elsewhere. Mind you - I get so much more documentation done with Textmaker that its very noticeable when the data gets lost...

I am now in the habit of saving direct to hard drive (not usb) frequently (and also exporting as pdf when I'm doing a really long complex document, just for extra, extra safety)

One major plus with Textmaker is that it does not require Java (which I consider to be a major security risk) whereas LibreOffice constantly asks for Java to be installed.
WillE

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 19:29    Post subject:  

Indeed, that's also a problem with AbiWord. I habitually autosave my work-in-progress (as .rtf -- is there any other format for manuscripts?) to a separate FAT32 partition on my USB stick. Best of all worlds Razz
jpeps

PostPosted: Sat 22 Jun 2013, 20:59    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:

One major plus with Textmaker is that it does not require Java (which I consider to be a major security risk) whereas LibreOffice constantly asks for Java to be installed.

Using java plugins on your browser is a security risk, not java apps.

re: saving from ram; why not just use a link to a file on your hd for docs, or open directly?
greengeek

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jun 2013, 00:04    Post subject:  

jpeps wrote:
re: saving from ram; why not just use a link to a file on your hd for docs, or open directly?

Mostly for reasons of portability - I want to have the usb stick with me when I leave the PC at home or switch to a different puppy. But knowing theres another copy on the HDD makes me feel happier.
jpeps

PostPosted: Sun 23 Jun 2013, 00:34    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
jpeps wrote:

Mostly for reasons of portability - I want to have the usb stick with me when I leave the PC at home or switch to a different puppy. But knowing theres another copy on the HDD makes me feel happier.

Do the important work on the HD (so it doesn't get lost), and make the copy to the usb.
Page 2 of 2 [20 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Puppy Power
Jump to: