Puppy (and others) software firewall security

For discussions about security.
mollo

Puppy (and others) software firewall security

#1 Post by mollo »

Hi

Today I was reading B. K. Puppy F.A.Q. and tried a link to a site that tests your system security and found that if I have my router hardware firewall activated, my system passes the ports test showing all of them as stealth, meaning it's safe as my computer or router or whatever doesn't answer to Internet questions about the state of my ports (I know, excuse my poor English but that's the only way I know to say this :) ) but as soon as I disable my router hardware firewal then all ports show themselves as closed (no stealth status) so my system is answering those Internet questions about the state of them and that's not the safest condition for a system, correct?, no matter if I activate Puppy's software firewall or not, it doesn't change port condition to "stealth" just "closed", does this means software firewall isn't working or that it needs some additional post activation configuration?, I was testing Puppy Precise 5.6.1 but I also tried other distro and even Windows XP and the only way to show my ports as "stealth" was activating router hardware firewall, does my whole security depends on my router?, how do I reach the same result with only a software firewall activated?.
The test was checking only the first 1025 ports or so.
I forgot to say that the result of the test was the same when Puppy (and others) software firewall was not activated than when it was (router hardware firewall always deactivated), just ports "closed"
Thanks for any answer.

Carlos