Samba conf file - Unexpected EOF

Using applications, configuring, problems
wimpy

Samba conf file - Unexpected EOF

#1 Post by wimpy »

I run a small home network with Windows XPs and puppy. The sole printer is connected to a win XP machine. With the help of the forum gurus I am able to print from puppy. I cannot however seem to be able to transfer files from puppy to the windows machines. In trying to resolve this problem I ran smbclient and got the message
params.c:Section() - Unexpected EOF in the configuration file
smbclient: Can't load /etc/samba/smb.conf - run testparm to debug it
Connection to mshome failed (Error NT_STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME)
As far as file transfer is concerned it's not a big deal. I can just use an USB stick. It would however be nice if the Windows machines (which can see each other) could also see puppy. Puppy can see both of them OK but can't write to the shared folders.
Any help would be appreciated.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Just to be clear, you are using Lucid 528 as a Samba CLIENT to access shares on a Windows machine. So you are probably running Pnethood.

Have you also loaded a Samba SERVER package into Puppy? Samba uses the smb.conf file for both client and server functions. It sounds like you have corrupted that file somehow.

What happens if you open /etc/samba/smb.conf in a text editor?

wimpy

#3 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's Lucid 5.2.8 but now from a frugal install (small steps :) ). The smb.conf file looks OK (to my untrained eye) except at the end there is a [D without a bracket ender. The original had a blank line under "workgroup = mshome"
workgroup = mshome

server string = Puppy Samba Server
I did insert "netbios name = puppypc"in that blank line in the hope that the XP machine would be able to see the puppy machine, if it was named, but that didn't work - so I took it out again.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to how I can get the XP machines to "see" the puppy.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

wimpy wrote:The smb.conf file looks OK (to my untrained eye) except at the end there is a [D without a bracket ender.
The most obvious thing to do would be to delete that corrupt line.
I would be grateful for any suggestions as to how I can get the XP machines to "see" the puppy.
That's a separate issue. It involves installing a Samba SERVER package in Puppy.

wimpy

#5 Post by wimpy »

Luckily, I had an uncorrupted version from the CD and stick installation. I copied that over the smb.conf and the EOF error has gone. It still cannot see the MS network though it can see the machine. Puppy uses the XP machine name under "domain". As I said, puppy can see the shared folders on the XP machine, but cannot write to them. I thought that I had joined the network, when I set up the printing to the XP machine's printer with your help. Should I just start another thread, since the EOF bit is now effectively solved?

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

wimpy wrote: It still cannot see the MS network though it can see the machine.
This is contradictory.

1. Are you using Pnethood?

2. Does Pnethood detect and open the XP shares?

3. Can you read files in the shares?

4. On a home network, I don't believe that "domain" has any purpose.

5. When you enabled the shares on the XP machine, did you declare them as writable?

wimpy

#7 Post by wimpy »

rcrsn51 wrote:
wimpy wrote: It still cannot see the MS network though it can see the machine.
This is contradictory.

1. Are you using Pnethood?

2. Does Pnethood detect and open the XP shares?

3. Can you read files in the shares?

4. On a home network, I don't believe that "domain" has any purpose.

5. When you enabled the shares on the XP machine, did you declare them as writable?
1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. Yes
5. I didn't realize that they need to be writable just to copy files into the folder.
I made the folder writable and now I can copy files into it.
XP still can't "see" the puppy in its networked PCs, I guess I'm going to have to do a lot more reading.

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

wimpy wrote:XP still can't "see" the puppy in its networked PCs, I guess I'm going to have to do a lot more reading.
Start here.

wimpy

#9 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for all the help. One last question, please, before I mark this as "Solved". I see in PPM that I have samba_full-3.6.1-s already installed. Do I need to uninstall it and install your tng version?