Puppy Precise 5.6.1 and Samba [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Puppy Precise 5.6.1 and Samba [SOLVED]

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I just burned this latest distro to a CDand am now started up in it. Is there anything I need to do to get Samba up and running or is it the same as for Puppy 5.2.8?
Last edited by rmcellig on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 23:56, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Puppy Precise 5.6.1 and Samba

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

rmcellig wrote:I just burned this latest distro to a CDand am now started up in it. Is there anything I need to do to get Samba up and running or is it the same as for Puppy 5.2.8?
That would depend on what you did in 528.

gcmartin

#3 Post by gcmartin »

The OOTB Puppy Precise distros DO NOT contain SAMBA, per se. What most PUPs contain is a limited selection of just enough to have a PUP "see" AND use resources on other Windows/Mac. The Distrowatch category for SAMBA in Puppy isn't especially accurate.

The 32bit family of PUPs, gnerally, come with the ability to access resources shared by any OTHER PC on your LAN. BUt, they DO NOT ALLOW YOU TO SHARE.

If anyone of us wants to have a PUP distro share ANY information, resources, or devices with other PCs/TVs/devices on your LAN, you will need to add the full version of SAMBA to your PUP.

There are 3 distros in Puppyland that come with SAMBA built-in (OOTB). There are
  • 64bit
    1. FATDOG
    2. LightHouse64
  • 32bit
    • PhatSlacko
These 3 are distros where the developers include full SAMBA so that the distros come with the ability to do ALL of the facilities that SAMBA offers, which includes the ability to share stuff that is on the PC with others on your LAN. They have taken much efforts to make it both simple to setup and easy to use.

I know this does NOT directly address your question, but, its a start in understanding that might be useful as you proceed forward.

But, should you continue on your current path, members in the communiuty will help.

If you want Full SAMBA use the PPM to add to an existing Pup without samba

Hope this is useful info as you progress forward.

rmcellig

#4 Post by rmcellig »

I figured it out. I deleted the contents of the smb.conf file and replaced it with a default setup I keep on hand. Works great now. The smb.conf file is not the one in /etc/samba, but the other one that resides in I think /local.

Anyway, everything seems to be working beyond my expectations in Precise 5.6.1. Very nice :)