updated xorg for older puppies

Using applications, configuring, problems
partsman

updated xorg for older puppies

#1 Post by partsman »

Hello all
I would like to know how to update and/or remove and reinstall xorg in older puppies to better support newer hardware. For example I use an accer laptop that works wonderful with xorg 7.6 and 1366x768 res. with mesa and direct rendering to have optimal open gl experience ! I love some of the older puppies but cannot achieve the graphics needed to use
some games, google earth ect . my apologies if there is another thread on this or if I am posting in the wrong place ! THANKS TO ALL THAT REPLY
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

partsman

#2 Post by partsman »

sorry I did post in wrong place
Flash or whoever please move for me :? again very sorry :?
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

partsman

#3 Post by partsman »

surely I am not the only one that love somewhat older puppies that is trying to make them more suitable for newer hardware :?
please share any info or even your own experience :wink:
I believe there is still a lot to be learned from a lot of these older pups !
I know forum member darry1966 and tuxtoo along with sc0ttman and john biles as well as others work very hard at keeping these older pups updated ! I think offering some tips and tricks to getting some of these puppies working on newer boxes would be very useful :wink: like I said there is a lot to be learned from these that could influence others to build more puppies :D THANKS TO ALL WHO RELPY :D

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

You need to compile Xorg then .
If you only compile newer Xorg drivers, they might compile,
but might include functions, older Xorg server doesn't know about .

I am currently running a Dell Core2Duo with
Intel_r_Broadwater_G_Graphics_Chip
Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

and a Samsung 22B300 20" LCD monitor .

Xorg driver is i810 .

Outcome is that the i810 driver manages the screen of 1920x1080 with 70 pixels hidden to the right and 40 pixels hidden to the left, and also hides few pixels at the bottom .

That forced me to put the jwm taskbar to the top with that line in .jwmrc-tray :

Code: Select all

<Tray  autohide="false" insert="right" x="70" y="0" width="1810" border="1" height="28" >
Note :
y="0" means top
x="70" means for me the menu/start button is visible
width="1810" means xtotal=1920 - xstart=70 - xend=40 =>1810 pixels visible .
:D :D

partsman

#5 Post by partsman »

Thanks for replying Karl Godt

I hoped to get more interest here :cry: I thought more would be interested in older puppies running on newer hardware ! I have found info on kernel switching/compiling but not anything on compiling xorg or even alsa sound.
my hopes here was to have a little info for myself and others who want to run older puppies on newer boxes !
I guess nobody is really into the good old puppies now that we have precise and raring puppies ! :cry:
Don't get me wrong newer puppies are great ! But I personally like some of the older pups and like the idea of compiling my own apps etc.

darry1966

Updated Xorg Reply

#6 Post by darry1966 »

partsman wrote:Thanks for replying Karl Godt

I hoped to get more interest here :cry: I thought more would be interested in older puppies running on newer hardware ! I have found info on kernel switching/compiling but not anything on compiling xorg or even alsa sound.
my hopes here was to have a little info for myself and others who want to run older puppies on newer boxes !
I guess nobody is really into the good old puppies now that we have precise and raring puppies ! :cry:
Don't get me wrong newer puppies are great ! But I personally like some of the older pups and like the idea of compiling my own apps etc.
Yes agreed I also prefer the older puppies and wish there was more interest taken to help with this. Personally i'm not at the level to do that sort of compiling but would love to keep tabs on any progress that eventuates.

All I can say is don't lose heart you aren't alone in your enjoyment of the old pups. My personal favourites are 4.12 and 4.21.