LxPup-by-SFS (LXDE)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
peebee

#21 Post by peebee »

starhawk wrote:Installed on Upup Precise (IIRC it's 3831 -- the iso claims to be 382 tho). Very nice... but with one small issue.

I gotta have the drive icons, and I don't see a way to enable them (or any other icons, for that matter...). Going through Pmount every time I plug in a flash drive is going to get very old very quickly ;)

Also: I assume I can load the lxpup SFS at bootup through BootManager with no ill effects?
Hi Starhawk

Drive icons appear in the left hand pane of the pcmanfm file manager so pmount is not needed....it is a slightly different way of working to jwm/rox but one that you get used to pretty quickly.

You could try adding desktop-drive-icons-0.0.5 if you really want them.

Loading the sfs with bootmanager works the same as sfs-on-the-fly - I'm not clear whether you mean loading the sfs but not the pet so that you can stay with jwm/rox with no ill-effects or something else? I don't think loading just the sfs should cause any problems - but I've not tested it exhaustively as I can't see why you would want to do it.

Rox is still available through the menu if you feel the need to use it - for instance to create links which pcmanfm can't do for some reason.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

starhawk

#22 Post by starhawk »

The dotPET is installed (and therefore isn't going anywhere).

I meant BootMgr vs SFS-Load-On-The-Fly. I didn't know how similar they were, and the instructions explicitly state to use SFS-Load-On-The-Fly so I wasn't sure if BootMgr would muck things up or not.

Thanks for the dotPET for the drive icons, I'll report back here shortly to say whether or not it works.

starhawk

#23 Post by starhawk »

It works! I kinda wish it were dynamic (i.e. refreshes automatically, removing icons when a drive is removed) but it'll do the way it is.

Thanks!

...now I just need a nice icon theme...

starhawk

#24 Post by starhawk »

Got the icons set up.

One minor annoyance (which is genuinely nothing more than a minor annoyance!) -- how do I change the color of a window's title bar? It wants to be a light blue (like powder blue color) and I want it to be orange or black... the icons in the systray have the same problem.

Also -- PCManFM looks to use Windblows terminology -- so your symlink would be called a "shortcut" there ;)

peebee

#25 Post by peebee »

starhawk wrote:Got the icons set up.

One minor annoyance (which is genuinely nothing more than a minor annoyance!) -- how do I change the color of a window's title bar? It wants to be a light blue (like powder blue color) and I want it to be orange or black... the icons in the systray have the same problem.

Also -- PCManFM looks to use Windblows terminology -- so your symlink would be called a "shortcut" there ;)
Desktop settings - Customize Look & Feel - Window Borders - Onyx citrus or Orang......
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

starhawk

#26 Post by starhawk »

Don't see it. Here are the tabs I do see in the Customize Look & Feel window --

Widget
Color
Icon Theme
Mouse Cursor
Font
Other

peebee

#27 Post by peebee »

starhawk wrote:Don't see it.
Hmmmmm - it's there in the Slacko based version - must be a difference somehow between Slacko and Upup Precise - afraid I can't explain why - I will try to boot up a Upup Precise version and have a look.

Cheers
peebee

starhawk

#28 Post by starhawk »

Thanks! I appreciate all you're doing to help.

simargl

#29 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:05, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#30 Post by starhawk »

That's helpful! Where do I find that package?

peebee

#31 Post by peebee »

starhawk wrote:That's helpful! Where do I find that package?
The .deb can be downloaded from here - the package was in the sfs but needed to be updated - I have rebuilt and tested the sfs's with the updated obconf.so and will upload them shortly.

starhawk

#32 Post by starhawk »

Installed. Works now.

Also the drives thing *is* dynamic now all of a sudden.

Thanks!

peebee

Updated versions

#33 Post by peebee »

Updated versions of the A B & R sfs's with the updated obconf.so have been uploaded.

Cheers
peebee

lvds

#34 Post by lvds »

Hi Peebee,

Many thanks for your great work ! I have been using lxpup SFS upon upup precise 3.8.3 and all went fine. All my hardware was detected out of the box. I have immediately started to play with settings :D

The only very minor weird thing I found is a firefox desktop entry have appeared in menus but firefox was not installed yet. Anyway I installed it because I have hard time living without firefox :-)

I think your work could benefit a lot of Jejy69 work too, I noticed many desktop entries are not really in the right place, and finally results in overcrowded menus. Jejy69 approach is minimalist but I think the menus deserves some re-design :-)

Also I noticed many icons looking ugly. Maybe it would be worth to set a good nice looking theme instead of a weird mix we carry from a long time... Whatever the theme, oxygen or faenza, we need also good looking icons for the devices and monitors in system tray.

Another idea is we need to adjust color schemes. For instance blue is good, but when there is too much blue you can get sick of it... Just little changes here and there are welcome, like say, the folders icon in file manager are brown, not blue. Little changes makes wonders.

Anyway, none of this is your fault, I'm just giving ideas for future plans :-)
Thanks again, you're doing great and I love the LXDE desktop in puppy.

Best regards

peebee

#35 Post by peebee »

lvds wrote:Hi Peebee
Hi lvds

Many thanks for your feedback - its much appreciated.

I agree with all of your points and they are all things that would need to be worked on if lxde were to be chosen as the default for a major Puppy distribution - however they are also work items that will need a lot of painstaking work to get right (I think).

As it is, Lxpup by SFS seems to work "well enough" for me on top of Slacko to give me certain features that I like with not too many frustrations - so I'm unlikely to be the one who will iron out the wrinkles you have mentioned. However if somebody else wants to for instance tidy up the menus or the icons then I'd be very happy indeed to incorporate their work into my sfs - much as I originally did with Jejy's pioneering work on LxPup 13.01. I offer versions for other mainstream pups as well as Slacko to give people choice but I have noticed that the menu items do differ between the versions to a degree.

Jejy has obviously released other LxPup's since then but is gradually moving further away from "pure" Puppy with his different package management and menu structures.....which you either like or not.

The great thing about Puppy is - choice! :-)

I always add Chromium to my Puppies as that is my favourite browser - but as can be seen from the browser wars that occasionally break out - everybody has their own favourite.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

#36 Post by peebee »

lvds wrote:The only very minor weird thing I found is a firefox desktop entry have appeared in menus but firefox was not installed yet. Anyway I installed it because I have hard time living without firefox :-)
I've solved the phantom Firefox issue - updated pets (only affects the pets) have been uploaded.

lvds

#37 Post by lvds »

peebee wrote:I've solved the phantom Firefox issue - updated pets (only affects the pets) have been uploaded.
Thanks I will update my personal storage :-)

I think we should submit Barry the idea to release the desktops sfs each time a new release is out. By reading the forum in the past months many people have been searching their favorite desktop sfs, with more or less luck.

Jejy69 made a wonderful work by releasing its sfs for precise but they were losts in a crash disk.

Carolina is a wonderful work on Xfce desktop but it's a complete woof build based on Racy for PAE kernels ; I have not seen a .SFS for XFCE or maybe I'm wrong ?

The idea would be to release a .SFS for each desktop so that anyone could apply to its favorite official release, choose PAE or non PAE, without having to re-invent the wheel each time and save a lot of time. Moreover, only a very small elite people are able to build these SFS desktop files.

I think that would help the whole puppy distribution a lot. If I find a thread for suggestions to Barry, I will link the idea :-)

Best regards

backi

#38 Post by backi »

Hi Jejy69

Your doing great things with desktop stuff !

Want to ask you politely ..... maybe is there anything possible with E17 ..Enlightenment desktop ? . Its my favourite one .
Cheers .

peebee

Updated sfs's

#39 Post by peebee »

The A, B & R versions of the sfs have been updated

The A & B versions of the sfs have been updated with pup-volume-monitor-0.1.14

For the B & R versions, lxsession has been updated to version 4.9.2 from Ubuntu Raring.

Cheers
peebee

peebee

LxPup by SFS for Raring Puppy with kernel 3.9.5

#40 Post by peebee »

Barry has created Raring Puppy http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87043

LxPup by SFS 5.5 B version runs on this new Pup with one proviso - a new version of pup-volume-monitor is really needed.

So, all parts of LxPup by SFS seem to be working as expected (pcmanfm, lxpanelx, the trashcan, samba shares etc.)

The thing that isn't working is detecting new storage devices when they are plugged in - but you can get over this pro-tem by using PMount - access PMount via the Run utility in the menu - just type pm and then select pmount and then mount your device there whence it will be accessible and demountable in pcmanfm.

Load LxPup by SFS B version as described in post #11

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
capture5678.png
(27.12 KiB) Downloaded 1623 times