Where's the latest stable version of Inkscape for PL528?

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
benny7440

Where's the latest stable version of Inkscape for PL528?

#1 Post by benny7440 »

...but I would like to have a few days to try different things with it, including reading/following some tutorials that I've stumbled upon in the last days.

So, there's (apparently) a complete version in the repositories that one encounters when using Quickpet, but is it the latest one?

If someone knows where it is & shares that info it would be great because I don't like d/l things from not-habitual places. Thanks!
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Hi Benny.. 0.48.1 for Lucid here, 0.48.2 here, and 0.48.4 <the latest & greatest> here.

You may be short a few deps to make the full version run, so >> open from a shell.

Keep in mind Lucid's based on :wink: 10.04.4 LTS. Dwnld accordingly..

benny7440

#3 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, Semme, for replying!

I went to one of the links supplied by you & d/l the 0.48.4 version. After extracting the first relevant file & reading it (INSTALL) decided to extract all because didn't understand it.

Now I've a doubt before proceeding to try to install & use it: what do I have to do with the other "Inkscape Lite" software that I have already installed?

I d/l & extracted to sda5, a partition different from the one PL528 is installed at.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: After issuing './configure' an important number of issues surfaced. In relation to this I'm including the ./config command's output below:

"sh-4.1# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... no
checking how to create a pax tar archive... gnutar
checking for style of include used by make... none
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl.exe... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether the C++ compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/mnt/sda5/inkscape-0.48.4':
configure: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details
sh-4.1#

In this edition of this post I've removed the config.log & substituted it by the above, as suggested by Semme.
Last edited by benny7440 on Wed 26 Jun 2013, 15:33, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

There's NOTHING to configure. They're all links to binaries! Unless you're amd64- THIS is YOUR pkg!

As for the 'light' version you questioned about.. I'm not sure. Perhaps toy around during a live boot?

benny7440

#5 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks Semme for replying!

In your last post you suggest that I d/l a different software? I've d/l <inkscape_0.48.4.orig.tar.gz> from http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... rig.tar.gz.

I'll proceed to d/l the one you last suggested but will wait until your next reply....
[/b]

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Toss inkscape_0.48.4.orig.tar.gz and anything else you may have unpacked.

Install the dwnld I left and fire 'inkscape' from a shell to see what's missing.

Feel free to paste the terminal output here with your next reply..

PS- Incase you were unaware, 528 installs *deb's* by default.

benny7440

#7 Post by benny7440 »

I'm sorry Semme to admit that even thou the installation process went without a glitch I've found 2 extra icons for inkscape at the Menu > Graphic tab, nothing at the Utility tab as reported by my system after installation process.

I tried to have it run from the shell but have not a clue as to its location. I used Searchmonkey file finder & it found 281 matches; I introduced in Advance search a condition by date & received ~25 matches then. Nonetheless, this exercise didn't give me the location of the executable file, so I tried the icons that appear under the menu: nothing happenned...

I didn't delete the files obtained by extracting from the first package but they're isolated within a unique folder & not installed.

How to proceed from here?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I found the appropriate file at /usr/bin but when trying to run it from the shell:

"sh-4.1# inkscape
inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh-4.1#
"

After this I think I'm missing something. I once had the devx for gcc but can't find it anywhere in my disk. Do you know from where I can d/l it?

Thanks again!

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Dump the output here:

Code: Select all

/lib/ld-linux.so.2 --list /usr/bin/inkscape

benny7440

#9 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, Semme, for replying!

The output for the command is shown below (same as I already posted):

"sh-4.1# /lib/ld-linux.so.2 --list /usr/bin/inkscape
/usr/bin/inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libgsl.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh-4.1#
"

PS. When I talked before about devx (around gcc) I was thinking on something else; the missing lib here seems to be libgsl.so.0.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

Copy, paste and execute the line below. If it says no (L)ldd, install this one click pkg and rerun.

ldd /usr/bin/inkscape
We're doing things the way we are so I can get a handle on *all* the deps you're missing.

Having libgsl0ldbl_1.13+dfsg-1 installed merely scratches the surface..

benny7440

#11 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks Semme!

The code produced a lot of output. After reading it line by line I noticed that there were some interesting entries (don't know if they're relevant or not) that I'm including below:

"libgsl.so.0 => not found libgslcblas.so.0 => not found
ldd /usr/bin/inkscape libMagick++.so.2 => not found
libMagickCore.so.2 => not found
"

I'm not proceeding to install the pkg you suggested because I understand that it's for the case that the code you provided didn't run... waiting for more instructions!

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

Guessing I've got more libs than you, install these >> libaspell, libgsl0ldbl and libmagick++2.

Rerun 'ldd /usr/bin/inkscape' as you may need this above and beyond what was missing.

So long as there aren't any not founds, do a menu launch & TELL ME WHAT I WANNA HEAR!
Attachments
inkscape_0.48.4.jpg
(85.17 KiB) Downloaded 367 times

benny7440

#13 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks Semme for the links! I d/l the 3 lib files, installed them (without receiving any contradictory messages from the system) & tried 2 of the icons inserted in my Meny>Graphics entry but nothing seemed to happenned...

The result from running the command you provided resulted in just the following interesting entries:

"sh-4.1# ldd /usr/bin/inkscape
...libMagickWand.so.2 => not found
libMagickCore.so.2 => not found...
sh-4.1#
"

The ellipsis above mean that there were more data as the commands' output both at before them and after. If you want the whole thing I can rerun it later and paste it in another post. Right now I think is wise to shutdown due to an approaching thunderstorm.

Thanks; I'm sorry for the rush!

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

This >> libMagickCore.so.2 is from my *fourth* link. In addition, grab and install this.

If she still doesn't fire, run these- one @ a time:

ldd /usr/bin/inkscape > inkscape_libs.txt
gzip inkscape_libs.txt
.. then *attach* the newly created inkscape_libs.txt.gz file that's now in your /root folder.

benny7440

#15 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks, Semme, for replying with yje needed libs!

I installed the libs (I missed that one:
"you may need this above and..."
from 28 June). When I clicked on the first icon within Menu>Graphics it took so long to do something, & a short message stating that a file was missing, that I had enough time for going there again & clicking the second icon. Sorry to tell you that the little window didn't stated the name of the file.

Nevertheless, after closing both little message windows two instances of the new inkscape opened. I closed one of them & played with the other for about 1 hr. Looks great & powerful.

Still, (interruption for running from shell - just for checking) I'm concerned of what this message really means (or might mean). After ./inkscape plus ENTER it might have put around a thousand times the following:

"(inkscape:22894): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_misc_set_alignment: assertion `GTK_IS_MISC (misc)' failed"

but the application ran...

Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Semme!

Semme

#16 Post by Semme »

Correct! There's a delay upon opening. Ignore the shell message.

Unless the program fails to comply with what's intended- ENJOY!

==

# Aha! A GTK related bug that doesn't appear to have escaped..

From ba3e997daea267b100988ecd7c6d0767c334dfbc Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 16:22:42 +0000
Subject: Make toolbutton not call functions on non-GtkMisc

---
diff --git a/gtk/gtktoolbutton.c b/gtk/gtktoolbutton.c
index 4225401..0e6ae59 100644
--- a/gtk/gtktoolbutton.c
+++ b/gtk/gtktoolbutton.c
@@ -470,11 +470,11 @@ gtk_tool_button_construct_contents (GtkToolItem *tool_item)
 	  gtk_widget_show (icon);
 	}

-      if (icon && text_orientation == GTK_ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL)
+      if (GTK_IS_MISC (icon) && text_orientation == GTK_ORIENTATION_HORIZONTAL)
 	gtk_misc_set_alignment (GTK_MISC (icon),
 				1.0 - gtk_tool_item_get_text_alignment (GTK_TOOL_ITEM (button)),
 				0.5);
-      else if (icon)
+      else if (GTK_IS_MISC (icon))
 	gtk_misc_set_alignment (GTK_MISC (icon),
 				gtk_tool_item_get_text_alignment (GTK_TOOL_ITEM (button)));
--
cgit v0.9.2

benny7440

SOLVED

#17 Post by benny7440 »

This's to state that as far as I understand this issue I consider it SOLVED!
[/b]