NSA collect whom you make phone calls to. Email?

For discussions about security.
nooby

NSA collect whom you make phone calls to. Email?

#1 Post by nooby »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ju ... on-records
The White House has sought to justify its surveillance of millions of Americans' phone records as anger grows over revelations that a secret court order gives the National Security Agency blanket authority to collect call data from a major phone carrier.

Politicians and civil liberties campaigners described the disclosures, revealed by the Guardian on Wednesday, as the most sweeping intrusion into private data they had ever seen by the US government.

But the Obama administration, while declining to comment on the specific order, said the practice was "a critical tool in protecting the nation from terrorist threats to the United States".

The secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (Fisa) granted the order to the FBI on April 25, giving the government unlimited authority to obtain the data for a specified three-month period ending on July 19.
George Orwell when he wrong his book "1984" was before the internet
and smartphones and so on. the reality of how close they can monitor us now when we pay with cards each time we buy Gas and food and visit a place to eat food makes us open books. Would it not be reasonable they keep track of whom we write emails to and what pages and sites we visits and what search words we use?

A total control of each citizens whereabouts? What to think about it?

Don't worry be happy! would that work or what to do? :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Tote

#2 Post by Tote »

It's a bit strange when you think about it. Ordinary people minding their own business can be traced everywhere, apparently, monitored, whatever, and yet the real criminals seem able to commit crime at will with little fear of being apprehended.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Tote wrote:It's a bit strange when you think about it. Ordinary people minding their own business can be traced everywhere, apparently, monitored, whatever, and yet the real criminals seem able to commit crime at will with little fear of being apprehended.
Yes such is really strange indeed.

But they do get caught sometimes they collect their phone calls too
and manage to give evidence them contacted each other and plotted
and recognized how to set the bank robbery them making video clips
on where the security cameras are so they could shoot these and so on
and but a lot of times they do go under the radar and the cops have no clue
who did the crime.

so it is a unpredictable thing. But they want it for to get evidence maybe after the event :) The Boston Bombing they could see how the younger guy SMS to his friends that it was not so good thing that they contacted him lol he wrote.

So his friends did not realize how compromised them would get dumping his stuff in the trash for to help him. That made them part of teh whole thing.

Tehre is a lot of debate about Drones for civil usage. Not the military type
but small 3 or 4 tricopters quadcopters that can get up for some 30 minutes to look for what is below.

Such could be very helpful finding people hiding after them doing bad things. so cheap compared to getting a real helicopter manned and arriving so if the Cop launch it and can see behind things he can spot the situation and see if he will get shot at and save his life.

But poor celebs will get chased even more getting pics taken from high above them having no clue until too late.

I wish all pics of celebs would be forbidden unless them are on Red carpet or other such official agreed upon situations. It is not reasonable them get hunted like animals for slaughter something.

8-bit

#4 Post by 8-bit »

As long as there are trash magazines and web content of happenings and pictures of celebrities in compromising poses or various stages of undress and people interested in it, the practice will continue.
When photographers attempting to get a picture end up killing innocent bystanders or injuring stars, it will still happen.
As someone else will step up to take the place of a prosecuted photographer.

I guess when one becomes popular, they no longer have any private life.

nooby

#5 Post by nooby »

My naive wishful thinking maybe is unrealistic
but I really wish it would get legal status and
got reinforced by law being taken serious.

"I wish all pics of celebs would be forbidden unless them are on Red carpet or other such official agreed upon situations. It is not reasonable them get hunted like animals for slaughter something."

We are getting law here now locally that we are not allowed
to take pictures without asking those getting recorded.

I have no link though

Moose On The Loose

#6 Post by Moose On The Loose »

nooby wrote:My naive wishful thinking maybe is unrealistic
but I really wish it would get legal status and
got reinforced by law being taken serious.
By electing to wear this shirt with these pants, I am making a copyrighted artistic work called "how I dressed today".

The trash papers will hire trash reporters to take trash pictures as long as trash people are willing to pay for them.

greengeek

#7 Post by greengeek »

Tote wrote:It's a bit strange when you think about it. Ordinary people minding their own business can be traced everywhere, apparently, monitored, whatever, and yet the real criminals seem able to commit crime at will with little fear of being apprehended.
I think that criminals and most politicians have the same basic motivations - they wish to control others for their own benefit, and rely on the impassiveness of the masses allowing the self-centered deeds of the powerful to go unpunished.

Ordinary citizens are more of a threat to politicians than criminals are - so our "masters" would prefer to regulate and control us ordinary people (the milking herd) rather than bothering with the criminals (who also see us as a herd to be miked and fleeced).

And who do the NSA and CIA report to? Doesn't matter really - they are just mercaneries who seem to have no respect for the American constitution as far as I can see. Might as well be the Mafia. Maybe they're related.

But maybe there are people who genuinely feel that the NSA etc are beneficial to the average American?? Do people want to give up privacy in favour of some perceived increase in security?

greengeek

#8 Post by greengeek »

http://www.naturalnews.com/041072_milit ... ining.html
This guy sometimes gets a bit histrionic with his stories, but he does link to genuine news items providing evidence for his claims that the US government has become somewhat "mafia-style". Sounds like the NSA is ushering in a full police state environment.

sunburnt

#9 Post by sunburnt »

It`s all about money. Follow the money...
I see little difference between the oligarchy and the Mexican cartels or cocaine kings.
All of them will kill you if you get in the way of their money. Seems the same to me...

When I found out that SeLinux was written by the CIA ( I believe...), I erased it.
The CIA also wrote portions of the Windows security ( I believe...).
The CIA and NSA are ostensibly freelance organizations based on rampant paranoia.

With tablets at their current development, we have reached Mr. Orwell`s prophesy.
Not all aspects of it are in place, but "the powers that be" are advancing it rapidly.
Civil liberties and personal freedoms are removed almost daily, and more surveillance.

>>> Big Brother IS watching you.!

8-bit

#10 Post by 8-bit »

I remember before all the news on the NSA came to light, that there were some people that were paranoid to the extent of unplugging their phones when not in use for fear of them being designed as listening devices.
These people also believed that a television could watch and hear you even when it was off!

Also, when one buys a computer, most being made overseas, how is one to know that the computer is not spying on them while they use it?

I remember buying a cheap keychain digital picture device that would install software when it was plugged into the USB port.
And almost immediately, my virus checker said it detected a virus that turned out to be that installed software.

Who is to say just what nasties current electrical devices such as phones, tvs, touchpads, and PCs may contain?

Also, lets say I wanted to get a list of personal information about people for identity theft.
With all the personal information that Oregon's Department of Motor Vehicles wants now just to renew a drivers license, if their database was compromised that information would end up in the wrong hands.
And they told me they will not be liable in the event of their database being hacked.

bark_bark_bark

#11 Post by bark_bark_bark »

You can cancel credit cards, but not your identity.