Fonts and Firefox - Solved

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
wimpy

Fonts and Firefox - Solved

#1 Post by wimpy »

Not sure whether this is a puppy problem or a Firefox one. This morning, on fiiring up Firefox. I find that the main font in use on all sites, including the one this message is being typed in, is a particularly nasty primitive font where you can see all the dots making up the characters. I've set the Preferences to allow sites to set their own fonts and I've installed one of the Trutype pets but it has had no effect.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Last edited by wimpy on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
LxXenial16.08, LxPupSc17.07.01,Lucid 5.2.8 and others - all frugal

bones01

I know your frustration

#2 Post by bones01 »

HI Wimpy,

I had a similar problem some time back. Look here for the responses. It helped me fix it. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 58&t=72685

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

wimpy

#3 Post by wimpy »

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at that and other threads and followed the advice. It made no difference. Thinking back, the only thing I did was to install a Windows game under wine. The Truetype fonts seem to have disappeared. The symbolic links from X11 seem to lead nowhere - actually to the wine fonts directory, where they don't exist. I'll try to re-install the MS TT corefonts, but I'm getting a bit lost in the number of font folders which do not contain fonts - only symbolic links. The bummer is that, without MS, puppy would not be a decent desktop operating system.
EDIT I found individual TTF installation (.exe) files on the net and installed them under wine. I looked in /root/.wine/drive_C/Windows/fonts and the TTF files are all there. But still no change.
Last edited by wimpy on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#4 Post by DaveS »

wimpy wrote:The bummer is that, without MS, puppy would not be a decent desktop operating system.
A little inflammatory saying that here! Many of us, myself included, dont even OWN an M$ PC.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wimpy

#5 Post by wimpy »

@DaveS I'm sorry if that remark caused some offense to you. I think the original thought came from Linus Torvalds, himself - I probably heard it on a video interview on youtube. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a fan of puppy linux and I have received a lot of help from knowledgeable people here. If you have a solution to my problem I would be grateful - even more so, if it did not involve MS.

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

What happens if you uninstall Wine (or temporarily rename its folder in ~)?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

wimpy

#7 Post by wimpy »

I had considered that but felt it was too drastic. With some searching I discovered that Firefox was picking up its fonts from /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF. There was a shedload of links for Times and others. I renamed the Times link files to .ttg from .ttf and copied in (from wine) the times TTF files. It seems to have worked. I shall now continue with the other wine/corefonts TTF files. Probably not best practice, but I now have Firefox.nearly back to where it used to be. I'll leave this a few days in case someone can point me at a better solution

DaveS

#8 Post by DaveS »

wimpy wrote:@DaveS I'm sorry if that remark caused some offense to you. I think the original thought came from Linus Torvalds, himself - I probably heard it on a video interview on youtube. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't a fan of puppy linux and I have received a lot of help from knowledgeable people here. If you have a solution to my problem I would be grateful - even more so, if it did not involve MS.
No offense taken. Glad you seem to be solving the problem. Something borked your font files it looks like. BTW, do you have an LCD screen or CRT?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wimpy

#9 Post by wimpy »

It's an LCD screen ( Benq 22"). I think that wine probably did the borking.. It happened just after I installed Torchlight 1 via wine, using the Torchlight CD. I had a previous effort end badly and had to uninstall. This time it worked. I'm not sure now that Torchlight was worth the font hassle, but it is all adding to my experience of this operating system.
Last edited by wimpy on Wed 10 Jul 2013, 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#10 Post by DaveS »

Try this .pet. It will adjust the hinting value and make your fonts much more smooth. Only for LCD screens though. Adds Fontwizard to Desktop menu. After installing, restart X
Attachments
hinting.pet
(612 Bytes) Downloaded 375 times
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wimpy

#11 Post by wimpy »

Seemed to install OK, but when I clicked on the desktop menu button "Fontwizard" I got this:
Failed to execute child process "fontwizard" (No such file or directory)
The only fontwizard found by pfind is that desktop button.

DaveS

#12 Post by DaveS »

wimpy wrote:Seemed to install OK, but when I clicked on the desktop menu button "Fontwizard" I got this:
Failed to execute child process "fontwizard" (No such file or directory)
The only fontwizard found by pfind is that desktop button.
No /usr/sbin/fontwizard?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wimpy

#13 Post by wimpy »

Yes. No /usr/bin/fontwizard.

DaveS

#14 Post by DaveS »

Which version of puppy are you running?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

wimpy

#15 Post by wimpy »

Lucid 5.2.8 frugal. I have run the latest Slacko and Precise on other PCs but they both seemed to have problems (not insurmountable) with my nvidia cards.

UPDATE I found a fontwizard.pet and ran it. Fontwizard now runs OK and gives 3 boxes to check - Anti-aliasing, Hinting and Automatic Hinting. I checked all 3 as suggested for a LCD monitor. Can't say I noticed any difference. I'll mark this thread as "Solved".