slacko-5.6 Final - plus testing next

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#81 Post by 01micko »

01micko on the first page wrote:Vision

OK, alpha has been out some days now and the bugs are turning up. On to that.

The immediate plan is to compile 3.4.52 with devtmpfs and f2fs support. I'll add my f2fs usb stick program, and also write up a FULL install to f2fs-usb program. This will take full advantage of f2fs usage of nand storage. After all, whacking an ext filesystem in a save file on top of f2fs probably nulifies any advantage gained by using f2fs. For a FRUGAL type situation, we need to develop f2fs SAVE files. That's down the track. The big advantage of this will be that writes will not have to be restricted so USB installs so using AUFS will act like pupmode=12 installs (on a fast hard drive).

So why the trouble? I believe puppy's niche is USB installs. I use them extensively. Currently, the system of caching everything in RAM until a set interval (default 30 minutes) and saving back to the save file has it's limitations.
  • The 'snapmerge' (as it is known) can take up to several minutes and the system cops a substantial performance penalty.
  • Using FAT filesystems (and NTFS for that matter) is not Linux friendly as those FS do not respect UNIX permissions
  • RAM can fill up in that 30 minute period and cause RAM crash, then everything in that period is lost. Sure, that could be monitored but the systems that suffer these problems (old ones) then cop another performance penalty by adding another daemon.
This configuration is known as "pupmode=13". I don't particularly like it and I think kirk and jamesbond dumped that method in FatDog (confirmation of that please?).

I will stick with k3.10 series for the high end (PAE) version. I will wait until 3.10.1 before compiling. With the newer kernels though and an older lib base (slackware-14.0's base is approaching 12 months old, that is ancient in Linux Years) we run the risk of poor driver support in the graphics stack. A few kernel devs are also Xorg devs (Alan Cox comes to mind) so the kernel and Xorg are undergoing some parallel developments.

So there you have it, my rough plan.

Mick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Woohoo! I got the f2fs patches to work cleanly and compile in k3.4.52.

Below are the patches for safe keeping.

NOTE: there is an alteration from standard to accomodate AUFS in kconfig and Makefile.
anikin wrote:Hi 01micko,
This one is the fastest, coolest and smoothest of all the Slackos I've tested on my eeepc (Intel atom n270/945GSE). It even feels faster than ThinSlacko. With every release, these new 3.x.x.x kernels are getting friendlier to atom processors. I'm frustrated by your decision to downgrade the kernel. And it's surprising that you have already made up your mind at this very early stage, when the testing has barely started. Really frustrated and disappointed. No peace in the valley ... deep sigh.
Now pick up those heads and shoulders.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

slacko-5.6 alpha

#82 Post by Billtoo »

When will the next release be coming?
I'm eager to take it for a spin :)

01micko

#83 Post by 01micko »

Hey Billtoo

Not quite sure. It will be "soon" :lol: . I am trying to get f2fs booting from a usb stick as a FULL install, then I have to write it up as a script to automate it. It requires a full install with an initrd because no bootloader recognises f2fs just yet. I'm trail blazing here! The init script in Slackware is very simple and an adaptation of that should do the job. It's is a requirement of a puppy full install that the "initrd" is gone when the main filesystem is mounted. Slackware's initrd does just that. :)

All that said, I might even release the next "alpha" without that functionality, as everything else is in place. Also, I'm sweating on k3.10.1 for the high end version. Greg Kroah-Hartman just released the patch set so it might be a day or 3 before we see it. Can't see anything in those patches that fixes Broadcom wireless, however, that bug could have been caused by the bad permissions which are fixed in my next release.

tlchost

#84 Post by tlchost »

peebee wrote: tlchost - if you need the wl driver, load the pet and then reboot.

you may also need to unblock your wifi:

Code: Select all

rfkill unblock wlan
and put this into rc.local for persistence.
Did that...still no device detected by any of the network wizards. Here's
what lsusb reports after the above:

02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
	Subsystem: Broadcom Corporation Device [14e4:0510]
	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
	Memory at 56000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
	Capabilities: [58] Vendor Specific Information: Len=78 <?>
	Capabilities: [48] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
	Capabilities: [d0] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
	Capabilities: [13c] Virtual Channel
	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-4e-ff-ff-97-90-00
	Capabilities: [16c] Power Budgeting <?>
	Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge

irishrm

#85 Post by irishrm »

peebee:

Just to let you know your wl driver pet worked for me.

irishrm.

for_wov

#86 Post by for_wov »

tlchost wrote:
peebee wrote: tlchost - if you need the wl driver, load the pet and then reboot.
you may also need to unblock your wifi:

rfkill unblock wlan
and put this into rc.local for persistence.
the key words in peebee's reply were IF YOU NEAD but you don't. just blacklist b43 module through menu=>system=>bootmanager and reboot (if in full installation). I wasn't trying to get wify(brcsmac) to work in live or remaster (may try to change /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE from 5 to 2 than launch bootmanager and blacklist b43 but still you nead to reboot)

01micko

#87 Post by 01micko »

Got the f2fs thing working, with some issues, but that's why I want to get it out there.

Attached is the initrd skeleton. (mainly for safe keeping).

Yes, it's a full USB stick install with an inird.gz. Anyone who knows about booting please take a look.

EDIT: Barry is going to take it from here now, so that's cool. Hopefully I'll get a release out late tonight.
Attachments
initrd-skel-0.1.tar.bz2
(7.66 KiB) Downloaded 330 times

DaveS

#88 Post by DaveS »

Full USB install? Def my kind of thing. No clue how to do it though :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tlchost

#89 Post by tlchost »

for_wov wrote:but you don't. just blacklist b43 module through menu=>system=>bootmanager and reboot (if in full installation).
I never said I had a full installation, I said bootable USB

In any event boot manager reports that I do NOT have the .pci driver for the broadcom....so. it may be beyond my understanding on how to blacklist what I don't have.

Thanks for the reply

for_wov

#90 Post by for_wov »

tlchost wrote:I said bootable USB
no matter. you NEAD a save file (was trying to establish network with pfix=ram -- no results so far) there are 2 major versions of drivers for brcm4313(i have the same) b43 & bcma which conflict each other. so only 1 should stay (bcma in our case) suppose rervin's logic is a bit incorrect. The only solution so far is to make a save, blacklist b43 and reboot (rechecked twice - works). on previous slackos(wlan was present) launched network wizard(Bary) refused from wl than started simple network setup or frisbee and worked.

Full installation failed (permissions on console or smth like that). I copied vmlinuz to boot directory on hdd than made full installation by puppy universal installer from flugal on usbflash(as usually). copied devx through

cp -a --remove-destination . /PATH_TO_MY_MOUNTED_SDA_PARTITION
folder /usr/share/pkgconfig didn't copy because same folder on main sfs is a symlink to /usr/lib/pkgconfig supposed that should work later (manually copied). booted from usb established wify in frugal first replied to tlchost and after rebooted to full on hdd but problem with console permissions occured. any ideas how to solve

PS:suppose full works. what is the easiest way to upgrade slacko 5.5 to current without reformatting (no practical skills on deltas (they are for iso i suppose) system on hdd.

tlchost

#91 Post by tlchost »

for_wov wrote:
tlchost wrote:I said bootable USB
no matter. you NEAD a save file
I have a save file....so let's dispense with that as a problem.

Appreciate your suggestions....not being overly technical, a lot of this
is over my head.

Thanks anyway

SFR

#92 Post by SFR »

A couple of new/old little bugs. :wink:

1. Trash again: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 099#713099

2. Xlock:
http://linux.die.net/man/1/xlock wrote:-/+grabserver
The grabserver option causes xlock to grab the server. This is not usually needed but some unsecure X servers can be defeated without this.
In case if "our" server is secure enough, would be nice to delete all (2) occurences of "-grabserver" from /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun, because when this parameter exists and a composite manager is in use (Compiz/xcompmgr), xlock won't display screensaver nor password prompt.
(originally found in here some time ago)

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

for_wov

full fails

#93 Post by for_wov »

in full (manually installed) errors on boot: intit:can't log to /dev/tty5
starting pid 44, tty ' ': '/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit '
/etc/rc.d/sysinit:line 170: can't create /dev/console: Read-only filesystem

?

for_wov

svn

#94 Post by for_wov »

will svn work in the next release or maybe smth is wrong with my current slacko(have frugal & full on the same partition/work form frugal)

svn checkout http://qtalk-ui.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
svn: E155000: '/root/trunk' is already a working copy for a different URL
it the problem in svn as locall app or that is remote site problems? same things on different sites.

01micko

#95 Post by 01micko »

@for_wov

There is a lot of permissions problems in the current version because of woof bugs. Maybe the SVN one is related? I didn't test. I can say with confidence that a new test version will be out within 12 hrs with many many bugs fixed. It's a kernel rollback but there are always 2 versions of slacko so with a little patience a newer kernel version will be released too.

@SFR.. in saying "many many bugs fixed".. I'm leaving the trash one for now since it's under discussion :wink:

01micko

#96 Post by 01micko »

Next BETA is out;

See main post

rcrsn51

#97 Post by rcrsn51 »

/dev/usb/lpx is now working like it did in previous versions. Hopefully, sszindian and Jim1911 will be able to print with this one.

The menu item System > Grub Legacy Bootloader Config is dead because that program no longer exists. It was removed from Woof in favour of Legacy Grub Config 2013.

Jim1911

slacko-5.6 beta

#98 Post by Jim1911 »

Hi Mick,

It's working great with everything tried, including printing, Wine and my favorite Windows software. :D I'll have to try your new f2fs installer.

Thanks,
Jim

01micko

#99 Post by 01micko »

rcrsn51 wrote:The menu item System > Grub Legacy Bootloader Config is dead because that program no longer exists. It was removed from Woof in favour of Legacy Grub Config 2013.
The package woof gets still has the old DOTdesktop file, maybe BK put the proper package in his ubuntu repo which slacko doesn't search. Anyway, I fixed it manually. Will be right in the next.

Billtoo

β slacko-5.6 BETA AS IN α β γ δ

#100 Post by Billtoo »

I burned the 5570 iso to a DVD and booted from that.
I used the F2FS installer - flash drives and installed to a 16 gb SDHC
card.
On rebooting and setting up the new system I put the devx and kernel
source sfs in /mnt/home and loaded them with SFS-load (that took a
long time and the free space on the card was reduced by approx 6gb)
I downloaded the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-319.32.run proprietary driver and
exited to the prompt.
It needed to reboot to get rid of the nouveau driver, back at the
prompt I compiled the proprietary driver (again took a long time) when
it finished I ran xorgwizard and chose the nvidia driver and proper
resolution, (another reboot).
One rebooting it tested x and then prompted me to click on finished,
then it went to the desktop.

video-info-glx 1.5.1 Sat 13 Jul 2013 on Slacko Puppy 5.5.70 Linux 3.4.52 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C77 [GeForce 8200] (rev a2)
0.0 VGA compatible controller:nVidia Corporation G98[GeForce 9300 GE](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP77 Board - mcp78pvo Chip Rev
X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.12.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9200/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32
Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
Core 0: @2499 1: @2499 MHz
# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.378 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 59.872 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.119 FPS
#
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 9200/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller Ralink corp. RT2860
Memory 2852MB (92MB used)

That's it so far, there is 8.2 GB free on the card right now.
Will keep testing.

EDIT:Installing Kdegames and Clementine took a .9gb chunk out of the
free space on the card, down to 7.3 GB free.
Kdegames works fine but Clementine gives an error if I try to run it
in the terminal:
# clementine
clementine: error while loading shared libraries: libqjson.so.0: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory
#
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(30.3 KiB) Downloaded 623 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 03:26, edited 1 time in total.