Audio not Racy like

Booting, installing, newbie
mikee55

Audio not Racy like

#1 Post by mikee55 »

Hello all. Just got Racy installed on this old lady. Its an Intel DG965WH motherboard and Hardinfo says its Audio device is an Intel Corporation 82801H

Er... Why no audio, please?

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Probably you just need to adjust your audio settings in Retrovol or Alsamixer.

There are a few other remote possibilities such as some other device grabbing default soundcard status.

What exactly have you done so far to try to get audio out of it?
Oscar in England

mikee55

Re Audio not racy like

#3 Post by mikee55 »

Hi, I have tried a SoundBlaster Creative 24/96 card in the machine too, and no luck there either. The wizard sees it, sets it up then I try a test sound and nothing. Obviously I've tried the mixer too, the multiple soundcard wizard, enabling and disabling in bios. On board sound is not there in the wizard only hardinfo???

mikee55

Re Audio not racy like

#4 Post by mikee55 »

Both cards have optical out, but I guess analog Master slider being turned up, should output a sound??

Cheers
Mike

OscarTalks

#5 Post by OscarTalks »

There are various checkboxes, switches and sliders that you have to look at in the mixer. It can sometimes be a bit of a challenge to find the right "combination". The one named PCM usually needs to be up. Is this a desktop computer? What software are you using to play the sounds, media player, browser? Sometimes programs have their own volume control or mute facility which you need to check as well. Also what hardware, internal speakers, external amplified speakers, headphones? Sometimes there are different sliders for these as well. I have Racy running here in a machine with two soundcards and have no problems with the audio.
Oscar in England

mikee55

Re Audio not racy like

#6 Post by mikee55 »

I finally figured what to do! My main machine has a Radeon HD3000 on board GPU that Ubuntu 13.04 would only give a generic driver for, at a low resolution. I was told to go to 12.04.01 LTS, even 12.04.02 LTS does not support my card. So thinking along the same lines, I went for Precise Puppy LTS and after a 45 minute download, followed buy a 10 min disk burning session, I booted Precise and was greeted with a Woof when I closed the locale wizard.

Thanks for your help anyway, OscarTalks. I'm a happy bunny or should that read puppy :-)

Take care, Mike