eCommerce Script for Coop Purchasing

Using applications, configuring, problems
raffy

eCommerce Script for Coop Purchasing

#1 Post by raffy »

There is talk lately about coop purchasing of diskless PCs suitable for Puppy. If this wil be done, what is the best script to handle the work online? The script should be:

- free, and preferably uses PHP/MySQL;
- simple to administer;
- integrates Paypal payment;
- customizable;
- can be hosted by Linux-based web hosts (example: servage.net).

Shop-script could be one such script. What do you suggest?
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

SnowDog

#2 Post by SnowDog »

This can already be accomplished with what I installed at puppylinux.biz.

Just add this as a product, put xxx number of them as in stock (whatever # the target order is)
Just make it very clear in the product description, that it's a pre-order and although it's being paid for at order time, it won't actually "be", ordered until target # of pre-orders are collected.
You could even put it as a deposit amount (% of actual cost) to be paid up front, as long as it's really clear that this amount will be forfeit if balance not paid in xx timr from notification.

It would simplify everything, by figuring out the end-user shipping and import duty/taxes (which depend on item type, $ amount and country) up front and add them in to the initial offered price (good luck, I still haven't received a quote from these guys)

The more important question/s is/are/may be...

How many people want to front a couple hundred $ and wait for enough orders to be collected to make it worthwhile to ship these?

If it goes no-where and refunds need to be issued... who's going to pay for the cut that PayPal takes for doing the transactions (2 of them)?

or...

If no-one (or too few) want/s to front their own money, who's willing to put out $200 or so $ for each person who says, "I'll take one"?

If there are enough interested parties, where should these things be imported to initially? and...

Who will volunteer to unpack them, DOA test them all and repack and ship them (in appropriate materials) to individual addresses? and...

Who will take responsibility if the terrorists, (or mad-cows, etc.) start up again while our shipment of diskless PC's are in transit and possibly get captured at customs for a couple of months?

These are all realities of importing, to Canada at least.

I had considered placing a small order (10-100) for these things (if they ever decide to answer my e-mail with price quotes), but with everything that experience tells me is involved in such a transaction (time, money, customs broker, DOA testing, re-packing, shipping materials and postage, etc), I'm not sure how cheap they'll be once they are here (in hand) in the long run.
I can tell you this for certain, they'll be more than $150 USD.
If you find my posts helpful and you want to say thanks, please consider clicking the www button under my posts to visit my website.