Rename the mainpuppy sfs file?

Booting, installing, newbie
Smithy

Rename the mainpuppy sfs file?

#1 Post by Smithy »

How do I rename the main sfs file so that it will not error out on boot up when the system looks for it? This is a remastering question.
Do I need to do something with distrospecs file?
Thanks for any info on the correct procedure.

musher0

#2 Post by musher0 »

Hi, smithy.

I think you cannot rename the main Puppy sfs file unless you go in the linuz file and rename the file it calls when it "passes the ball". And that's a bit tricky.

On the other hand you can rename the pup_save file without too much concern provided you keep the first part intact, such as dpupsave-xyz.2fs (if you're using dpup 4.85, for ex.) or wheezysave-abc.2fs (if your Puppy is a "wheezypup").

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

musher0
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Thanks for the reply Musher, well it helps a little. I thought it might be a bit tricky. I was thinking along the lines of when you substitute the kernel..
No biggy, but it would be nice to call it something like electropup.sfs then I can remember what the hell I was doing lol.

example of switching the kernel here:

The steps used (by a Puppy user) were:

1. Boot a Puppy 431 with the minimum of setup options

2. Mount the kernel 3HD and then mount the kernel SFS from within it

3. Delete the directories /etc/modules/, /lib/modules/, /lib/firmware/, /etc/DISTRO_SPECS from Puppy 431 system

4. COPY the directories /etc/modules/, /lib/modules/, /lib/firmware/ and /lib/network/, /etc/DISTRO_SPECS from the 3HD kernel SFS into Puppy 431 system

5. Unmount the kernel SFS but leave 3HD ISO mounted

6. Run the Remaster Live-CD utility from the Setup menu using the mounted kernel ISO and the default answers (unless you want to make other changes at the same time) to give either a CD image directory or an ISO file or a burnt CD as you require

7. You may need to rename the resulting .sfs to change _ to - or vice versa if the 2 systems use differing naming conventions. You may also need to update the version of the .sfs file using SFSConvert from Utilities - General Utilities menu.

N.B. it may look like the kernel ISO has been destroyed in this process however it hasn't and will reappear after a reboot.

Boot your new hybrid system.

greengeek

#4 Post by greengeek »

Hi Smithy, there are at least two things to be done (there may be more but it worked for me to do only these two things...)
1) Change the sfs name inside the /etc/DISTRO_SPECS file at the time of remastering.
2) Expand the initrd.gz and change the same data inside the /DISTRO_SPECS file you see inside the initrd.gz.

I have just been through this process and have made a couple of posts at the bottom of this thread:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49251

I used RSH's pet to expand and alter the initrd.gz, but it is not necessary in some newer pups - eg Precise 5.6.1 has its own inbuilt initrd.gz expander if you just rightclick the initrd.gz file.
Last edited by greengeek on Thu 18 Jul 2013, 23:44, edited 1 time in total.

Smithy

#5 Post by Smithy »

Hi Greengeek, that's great, only two steps (suits me lol).

I read your posts, exactly the same issues, loads of sfsss with the same name even though one may have done "things" with it.

I will give it a try soon, and thanks to RSH for making the editor.

I guess when we all experiment with Puppy we can make it better.

greengeek

#6 Post by greengeek »

I did have one problem with the RSH method - sometimes it would open up the initrd.gz of the current puppy instead of the initrd.gz that I actually clicked (which belongs to my new puppy)

Not sure why this was - maybe I used it wrongly.

Anyway, in the end I found it best to use the Precise inbuilt initrd editor by booting a live Precise 5.6.1 CD and just clicking (not rightclick) on the initrd.gz I wanted to change. It then gives you messages about how to modify and save the result.

Smithy

#7 Post by Smithy »

Ok Greengeek, thanks for the tips.