QtWeb - fast portable browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
ahoppin

#21 Post by ahoppin »

Foo, I found the showstopper for this one. The bookmarks manager is so elementary that it can't edit bookmarks, can't reposition a bookmark beyond the window (no scrolling), and can't even cut and paste bookmarks.

I guess this browser would be OK for someone who saves few or no bookmarks, but my exported bookmarks from Seamonkey are 1.1mb (yeah, I know, a little out of hand).

Pity. Up until I tried bookmarks, Qtweb was (aside from the lack of selective password saving) looking mighty darn good.

Maybe I'll try again in another 2 or 3 versions. Might be a long wait, though, since the current version was released in December 2010. Or maybe I can find an external bookmarks manager.

If I get ambitious, maybe I'll d/l the Qtweb source and try to hack up a better bookmarks manager myself.

sling-shot

#22 Post by sling-shot »

ahoppin wrote: If I get ambitious, maybe I'll d/l the Qtweb source and try to hack up a better bookmarks manager myself.
Have you tried it? Does it build from source?
-SS.
I am a nobody. Nobody is perfect. So I am perfect.

greengeek

Re: problems with flash being recognized

#23 Post by greengeek »

alphamale wrote:where should libflashplayer.so go for qtweb to see it?
Does anyone with a working flash install have an answer to this question please? Thx

Semme

#24 Post by Semme »

Greengeek- you have any Mozilla browsers installed? Where does the current plugin reside? It's version?

:wink: >> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins is where she's finding my latest *Mozilla based* plugin.

If you've got Chrome alone, that's a possibly incompatible version..

greengeek

#25 Post by greengeek »

Thanks Semme - I didnt have any mozilla browsers installed, but I have now put the flashplayer where you suggested and get an interesting result.

1) On my Pulp03 install qtweb now runs flash ok, but only if I change the "user agent" button to mimic Opera. (If I leave it as "qtweb" I just get a black box where the vid should be)

2) On my Wary barebones install qtweb will still not run flash - although at least now it seems to find the flashplayer.so but just displays a black box - even if I change user agent to opera. (The previous "install flash" message is gone though so it's definitely aware it has the flashplayer available)

I will do more testing.

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Most times you can track issues, or resolve them, by adjusting the string.

As far as Wary, does Adobes *about* page suggest you grab v10?

mechmike

How about a .pet of the latest version, please...

#27 Post by mechmike »

As per this:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00319

I've been playing with the latest version - the only hitch I've found so far is with their adblocking. If you turn it on, certain websites won't load.

I wish they used EasyList...

watchdog

#28 Post by watchdog »

I have tested the 3.8.4 portable version. With User Agent Firefox it finds the latest 11.2 flashplayer plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. It works with my hardware. Going to:

http://www.linkagogo.com/

I was able to convert mozilla bookmarks in .xbel standard and to import my bookmarks in QtWeb. Pop-ups blocking not always working. Opening a link in a new tab makes it suddenly active: I should prefer to activate the new tab manually. In firefox I use noscript extension: in QtWeb there aren't similar extensions. But QtWeb is very fast and lightweight. A good choice for old hardwares or to build lightweight puppies: then one can install the preferred browser.

session

Adblocking and user-agent

#29 Post by session »

mechmike wrote:http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00319

I've been playing with the latest version - the only hitch I've found so far is with their adblocking. If you turn it on, certain websites won't load.

I wish they used EasyList...
I just use sc0ttan's Pup-Advert-Blocker for everything.
Although, stuff like facebook ads need a nice adblocking user script, something QtWeb does not support...

In response to Drongo's post in that blog link, it IS worth fiddling with the user-agent in QtWeb; for example, this site won't load unless the string is set to Internet Explorer (!)
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

Jasper

#30 Post by Jasper »

Hi pemasu, session et al,

Using Qt-Web v 3.8.4, I cannot download the 825 byte "menu.tar.gz"
from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... aa2#709301

It will download for me using v 3.7.3, but with v 3.8.4 the download window shows the file as zero bytes and an "about:blank" tab opens.

I would be pleased to know if any reader(s) also have this problem, and, if so, if they are able to advise a fix.

My regards

Ray MK

#31 Post by Ray MK »

Hi jasper

just had the same problem - not sure what the answer is.

very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

session

#32 Post by session »

It's odd, because most any other forum attachment saves just fine, but it seems to work if under settings you check "Ask where to save each download"
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

L18L

#33 Post by L18L »

More than odd!
In my localized Version bytes are "translated" to "Beits".
Attachments
qtweb.png
(13.65 KiB) Downloaded 1644 times

Jasper

#34 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Thanks for the prompt responses.

@ session - your fix also works for me - I'm impressed as I would never have thought of trying your solution.

My regards

Ray MK

#35 Post by Ray MK »

Amazing - likewise, it works - many thanks
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Jasper

#36 Post by Jasper »

Hi,

I have a desktop computer.

Here are a few of my favourite Qt-Web settings:

I placed the Navigation Bar (as per screen shot)

I have added shortcuts so using the Righthand Ctrl key
I can reach comfortably to (see Note below):

Make Text Larger Ctrl+Up
Make Text Smaller Ctrl+Down
Zoom Text Only Ctrl+Right
Find Ctrl+Left
Disable Plugins Ctrl+End

and already built in:
, Back
. Forward

Note: Some additional key settings fail and some created
adverse effects which I could not undo - so, just in case,
I suggest backing up the Qt-Web folder before trying any
additional shortcuts of your own. With my Desktop the
above additions work for me.
Attachments
image-1.png
(186.48 KiB) Downloaded 697 times

Karl Godt

#37 Post by Karl Godt »

Funny , had to laugh :lol:

Could not find Beitz on Google - execpt as different write style for Veitz(tanz) [ Huntingtonsche chorea ] .

Since there is some movement to reduce the anglzisms from the german language ( Angeln being a landscape in germany though ) , that might be the a new word creation without double meaning ( except computers being kind of witchcraft to some ) .
:lol:

greengeek

#38 Post by greengeek »

Is anyone able to post a set of steps that can be followed to guarantee getting flash/youtube to work with QT web browser? I tried a couple of times a few months ago without any real success.

peterw

Flash player problems

#39 Post by peterw »

Hi

Just for info.

For me You Tube videos work fine with QtWeb - no need to do anything (I have it installed in Precise and have flash player installed as well). However, I can't get BBC iplayer to show videos. In an effort to explore the problem, I downloaded the Windows exe version and installed it on XP. It too did not play BBC iplayer video at first, complaining that I did not have flashplayer installed which I did. I went to install it but all it needed was an upgrade and then it played the videos. I suspect that the flashplayer version used with QtWeb may need an upgrade? Anyhow, I am looking forward to Barry's new version of Precise to see if how it performs. Certainly, QtWeb is very fast to start and is responsive, but there appears to be a few issues with it.

peterw

vicmz

#40 Post by vicmz »

L18L wrote:More than odd!
And the Spanish locale has terrible spelling and translation mistakes: Página de Vienvenido instead of Página de Bienvenida (oh my goodness! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Did this guy finish high school? Or maybe they're foreign speakers), la ventana corriente (=the average window) instead of la ventana actual (=the current window).

Something I like from QtWeb is that you can quickly save web pages as PDF by clicking File > Save as PDF, no need for extensions or web services.
Attachments
qtweb-bad-spanish.png
(44.22 KiB) Downloaded 1367 times
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]