How to Set up Network Bonding?

Booting, installing, newbie
surender

How to Set up Network Bonding?

#1 Post by surender »

hello,
How can i Team Multiple Network Interfaces (NIC) Into a Single Interface .Kindly help me.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Trunking or bonding, multiple nics into a single network interface, multiple network interfaces on a single nic or bonding multiple network interfaces are all search terms you could use to find hands-on examples. The information you need is right in front of you.. @ your fingertips!

surender

#3 Post by surender »

http://linuxwave.blogspot.com/2007/11/c ... rface.html

I have checked in my puppy linux i cannot find /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

to complete other process.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Since Pup doesn't follow the LF's FSH, you'll either have to wait for someone else or learn to adapt those links..

gcmartin

#5 Post by gcmartin »

@Surender

Bonding is the technological word for what you seek.

Questions
  • Which PUP are you currently running?
  • What CPU-RAM are you running on this modern PC or on an old server?
  • Is your LAN interfaces built-into the motherboard, a multi-interface LAN adapter, or 2 separate interfaces (such as a motherboard NIC as well as a PCI LAN adapter)
Here to help

surender

#6 Post by surender »

Hello sir
I'm using 525 version

Ram 4GB
I3 Machines it has two NIC cards already

gcmartin

#7 Post by gcmartin »

surender wrote:Hello sir
I'm using 525 version

Ram 4GB
I3 Machines it has two NIC cards already
OK, understand.

Now, what PCs are these? Trying to understand if you are using 64bit PCs or pre-2006 32bit PCs?

Here to help

surender

#8 Post by surender »

All are 32 bit only.We have not changed to 64 bit yet

gcmartin

#9 Post by gcmartin »

@Surender, I owe you an apology. You had already posted that you have an I3. An I3 is a 64bit PC! (The oversight comes from my trying to read without glasses :lol: )

You "may" want to use either FATDOG or LightHouse for your bonding direction. Reason: the developers of those PUPs already have PCs that mimic the environment you are trying to address.

You may also experience a performance boost as well.

Hope this helps

surender

#10 Post by surender »

So its not possible with 32 Bit Puppy Linux version

gcmartin

#11 Post by gcmartin »

surender wrote:So its not possible with 32 Bit Puppy Linux version
That's not what I share.

You are running a 32bit OS. The developers who have Motherboards (MB) with multi-network adapters are the 64bit developers. Those MBs typically over the past 6 years come on 64bit systems (like the one you have).

I am suggesting that person(s) in the 64bit community "may" have an answer.

Your solution will depend on a combination of factors. Most of all a good solution will come from someone who has already done so in Puppyland.

But, that is a choice you'll have to decide. Hopefully someone with a 32bit distro "may" have done this in the past. But, its important to note that your hardware configuration is very modern.

For now, we have an understanding of your current hardware and your current distro you are working with.

surender

#12 Post by surender »

Hello sir,
I have Dual core machine I can use that.Just that i don't like MS and started liking Linux .Please let me know if I can use it on 32 bit machine and 32 Bit OS please.I'm happy to make donation to the community for constant support.Please let me know

gcmartin

#13 Post by gcmartin »

surender wrote:Hello sir,
I have Dual core machine I can use that....Please let me know if I can use it on 32 bit machine and 32 Bit OS please. ...
@Surender, I'm not asking you to change anything. I'm only trying to share which developers in this community may have a PC whose motherboards have a dual-stack ethernet where bonding can be tested. Those developers who have that MB "may" have already tested bonding on the distros that they make for community consumption and can help with this issue facing you.

I know this is obvious, but I have to ask: "Have you tested you PC running a PUP to make sure you can use each ethernet interfaces over your LAN, separately? If so, the next step is to find subsystem services/commands which can "bond" the 2 adapters into a single interface that the system will use for traffic in/out of your PC over the LAN. There may be several recommendation anyone helping may offer to assist.

Again, I must share for your understanding: "An Intel i3/i5/i7 is a 64bit PC." You CAN run either any 64bit or any 32bit OS on that system. This highlights the flexibility you have with your PC. My comments are informational and NOT designed to indicate you must do anything.

Hope this helps

surender

#14 Post by surender »

Sir,
If do Ifconfig I have two IP address from same Hardware But i cannot do bonding as i don't know how to do it.

Eth0: 192.168.15.10
eth0:0 192.168.102.1

gcmartin

#15 Post by gcmartin »

surender wrote:...
Eth0: 192.168.15.10
eth0:0 192.168.102.1
Just so that its clear
  • Are you trying to aggregate traffic via 2 routers? Or are you trying to aggregate oaer a single LAN?
Here to help

surender

#16 Post by surender »

I have two routes sir.

gcmartin

Is this what your trying to to

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Are you bonding to the internet (as shown below) or are you trying to bond to one of your local LANs?
Attachments
images3.png
Bonding to Internet
(30.33 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

surender

#18 Post by surender »

Hello,
Exactly your image is perfect.

gcmartin

Single PC Bonding Internet traffic vs bonding LAN traffic

#19 Post by gcmartin »

But your results of "# ip address" does not indicate that you are using that picture's arrangement.

Henceforth, use the "ip" command. The ifconfig command has been deprecated for many years. And the IP command may offer some better options for what you're trying to do.

Please report the results of

Code: Select all

ip link
Further, this is a set of examples which you can use as it addresses a 2nd LAN card on a single PC. <=== click or 2nd comprehensive Reference is here.

Question
Which distro, again, and which PC are you attempting to use? (there are several mentioned)

Hope this helps