How to create user accounts?

Using applications, configuring, problems
psfal

How to create user accounts?

#1 Post by psfal »

I installed Puppy 5.6.1 to hard disk (full install) but can't find how to make user accounts in this distro, or to load sfs, or to add apps to the Menu that didn't show up after installation. I found a brief tutorial on this distro but nothing really in-depth. I'm not a nuts&bolts Linux guy, so too much command-line stuff isn't good in my case, but I do it when I know WHAT to do. I've been an Ubuntu user for over 4 years (on my laptops). I'm not adverse to a little studying. I'm not stupid, but I'm no rocket-scientist either.

I do like how fast Puppy is on my old desktop machine.

If you can tell me how to do these things, great, if you can point me in the direction I need to go, also great...

Much appreciation
Thanks in advance:-)

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

Psfal, Welcome!

Long story short- I don't think the idea of multi-user support ever came to mind. :lol: Can you imagine logging in and out everytime you had to make an adjustment as root? Not moi. Nah, easier for Barry to stay logged as root. In essence, it's nothing short of a *developers* distro. And not only for him, but for US! The sfs and menu thingy you'll find on the wiki..

psfal

#3 Post by psfal »

Semme wrote:Psfal, Welcome!

Long story short- I don't think the idea of multi-user support ever came to mind. :lol: Can you imagine logging in and out everytime you had to make an adjustment as root? Not moi. Nah, easier for Barry to stay logged as root. In essence, it's nothing short of a *developers* distro. And not only for him, but for US! The sfs and menu thingy you'll find on the wiki..
Ok, so how do I overide the block on root using Chrome on the internet? I can't stand SeaMonkey.

Thanks for the other info, I'm heading there now.

Semme

#4 Post by Semme »

Either find a suitable dwnld here, or search 'chrome as root' here. You WILL be successful!

psfal

#5 Post by psfal »

Semme, thanks, I did look there but got no satisfaction, a series of "command not found" echos. I think Puppy will have to remain a rescue thing for me, I am looking into Fatdog now, I seem to have seen that it has multi-user support and I don't like doing things as root unless I have to. My old AMD64 did manage Ubuntu 10.04 64bit quite nicely 4 years ago (I built it in 2002) and Ubuntu's insistence that it requires the 686 version is a recent thing, I'm thinking this might work. I have other machines for normal daily use running Ubuntu 12.04 w/Gnome Classic.

Thanks for your help Semme, Long story :-)