Precise 5.6.9 (5.7beta1)

Please post any bugs you have found
anikin

#41 Post by anikin »

simargl wrote:And anikin, what do you consider as successful Puppy projects, and why?
A successful project has followers and users. Users, who look up to the project leader.
As a user, I don't have to make a choice between simargl and some other devs, whom simargl has publicly insulted. I don't need to have a guilty feeling: "If I post in his thread, what will the insulted guys think of me? I've been using their work and help, so am I staying with them?" I see no other explanation for the fact, that users stopped posting in your thread. There has never been this kind of divisiveness on this forum before. That is why I mentioned damage control, talk about technical details and subtleties is totally irrelevant to the situation.

edit: corrected grammar
Last edited by anikin on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

PAE comment

#42 Post by gcmartin »

This post has been moved in its complete entirety. It is moved as this thread is in the bug fix area and intends to report findings of Precise 5.6.9

PAE should not have been posted here. But should have been posted on a different thread.

See this thread for any continued discussion on the PAE distro component....here.

And specifically, the original post is at that thread in this location
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 08:44, edited 5 times in total.

James C

Re: PAE comment

#43 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote: This current Precise version by Barry WORKS on the only Netbook I have....very well. And, Precise also works, as well. on the 8 other PC configurations I've tested to provide feedback on its behavior.
After your little discourse on the virtues of pae I almost hate to mention this but....... you do realize that the latest version of Precise, as well as other recent versions, features a non-pae kernel.

James C

#44 Post by James C »

gcmartin wrote: In fact, some have tried to infer a comment made by Tovalds when he indicated, years ago, that Linux has done all that is necessary for 32bit development and nothing more is necessary or would be done in the memory model of which PAE addresses.
I guess you're talking about me. Since you brought it up......

Linus Torvalds wrote:

http://www.realworldtech.com/forum/?thr ... stid=76973
PAE really really sucks.

The biggest single reason to go 64-bit is exactly because of physical address space. Your virtual address space
needs to bea multiple of the physical one: when you hit 1GB of RAM, 32-bit virtual memory is no longer acceptable. You literally do need more virtual memory than physical.

PAE turned that very simple fact on its head, and screwed things up royally. Whoever came up with the idea was totally incompetent, and had forgotten all the DOS HIGHMEM pains. There’s a damn good reason why we left the 286 behind, and started using 386′s, instead of having HIGHMEM crap with windows into a bigger physical space.

Repeat after me:

Virtual space needs to be bigger than physical space. Not “as big

Billtoo

#45 Post by Billtoo »

James C wrote:
Been trying for almost 2 years to have you back up this assertion....... I provided a link and a quote to support my position.
gcmartin wrote: Yet, this PAE topic continues to this day with members tossing it around with negative overtones and info contrary to facts.
I for one am open to consider any contrary documented facts you can provide..... not mere opinions.
Linus Torvalds hasn't changed his opinion of pae in this recent article (which is all geek to me of course :))

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Ke ... 5300.shtml

broomdodger

#46 Post by broomdodger »

gcmartin wrote:This current Precise version by Barry WORKS on the only Netbook I have....very well. And, Precise also works, as well. on the 8 other PC configurations I've tested to provide feedback on its behavior.
@gcmartin
Do you realize the current Precise 5.6.11 is non-PAE?

I have 5 *laptops* for testing and loaners, 4 of the 5 are non-PAE, including an EeePC which runs Precise 5.6.11 great.

4 of the 5 would be eWaste if it were not for non-PAE.

These 4 are quite fast, plenty of RAM and storage.

All play streaming video, compile custom apps I develop and anything else I try.

I do have 2 Sony VAIO that are PAE, but do NOT work with the current Precise 5.6.11 because of some weird video driver problem, black screen.

But both work with Wary 5.5. Mystery.

Those 2 Sony with PAE is silly... they can be upgraded to a MAX of *384 MB* RAM! What is the point?

Really if you want more than 4 GB RAM get a REAL machine that is 64 bit.

Bill
Last edited by broomdodger on Sun 28 Jul 2013, 02:39, edited 3 times in total.

James C

#47 Post by James C »

Billtoo wrote:
James C wrote:
Been trying for almost 2 years to have you back up this assertion....... I provided a link and a quote to support my position.
gcmartin wrote: Yet, this PAE topic continues to this day with members tossing it around with negative overtones and info contrary to facts.
I for one am open to consider any contrary documented facts you can provide..... not mere opinions.
Linus Torvalds hasn't changed his opinion of pae in this recent article (which is all geek to me of course :))

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Ke ... 5300.shtml
Thanks for the link. :)

Sounds like Linus still really likes PAE.....
....the disgusting abortion that is x86 PAE, and a small part of me feels that anybody who hit this problem on such a machine probably got whatever they deserved,

James C

#48 Post by James C »

While waiting ........

Fresh manual frugal install of Precise 5.6.11 on a bit newer hardware....all good, everything working ootb so far and it flies..... :)

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.6.11

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
Depth (bits, or planes): 24
Modules requested to be loaded: dbe

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
Loaded modules: dbe dri dri2 exa extmod fb glx kbd mouse record shadowfb

Actual rendering on monitor:
Resolution: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
Depth: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
1622 frames in 5.0 seconds = 324.372 FPS
1695 frames in 5.0 seconds = 338.877 FPS
1720 frames in 5.0 seconds = 343.848 FPS
1766 frames in 5.0 seconds = 353.113 FPS
1781 frames in 5.0 seconds = 356.126 FPS

With this newer Nvidia chipset it was necessary to put nouveau.noaccel=1 on the kernel line.

-Computer-
Processor : 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory : 3374MB (301MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Precise Puppy - 5.6.11
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sat 27 Jul 2013 10:49:56 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Code: Select all

# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:       3374404       738476      2635928            0        88884
-/+ buffers:             649592      2724812
Swap:      6211580            0      6211580
# 

BarryK
Puppy Master

#49 Post by BarryK »

Precise 5.7 is released. I have started a new thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=87712
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

Re: Missing /etc/shells file

#50 Post by 01micko »

npierce wrote:The /etc/shells file is read by various applications and utilities to determine if a file is a valid user shell. If this file is missing, the only shell names returned by the getusershell() library function will be "/bin/sh" and "/bin/csh". ....(etc)
I have added this file to woof-CE, https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... f22ec32c94
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

BarryK
Puppy Master

#51 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:
npierce wrote:The /etc/shells file is read by various applications and utilities to determine if a file is a valid user shell. If this file is missing, the only shell names returned by the getusershell() library function will be "/bin/sh" and "/bin/csh". ....(etc)
I have added this file to woof-CE, https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... f22ec32c94
Would it be good to add this also (ash is the small shell in busybox):

+/bin/ash
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

01micko

#52 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:
01micko wrote:
Would it be good to add this also (ash is the small shell in busybox):

+/bin/ash
Thanks for reminder, will add.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

npierce

#53 Post by npierce »

Thanks Mick and Barry.

It's good to see this being corrected in Woof.