SmartLink modem working fine in 1.0.4

Using applications, configuring, problems
Walt H

SmartLink modem working fine in 1.0.4

#1 Post by Walt H »

I finally got Puppy 1.0.4 downloaded and burned to CD. I installed the SmartLink modem file from Ibiblio and ran Modem Wizard and thought I was going to have the same "close but no cigar" experience I had with 1.0.3. Then I read back through the Help section and saw I needed to restart the window manager. I did, but still nothing.

On a whim, I decided to reboot the machine to see whether that made a difference. (When I worked on a help desk, that was the remedy of last resort.) Lo, and behold, a working modem :!: I am now online with Puppy 1.0.4 and feel I have regained some of the speed I don't get with Xandros 3.0. Now to maybe try installing a dotpup or two or three. . .
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

That's great! :)

To review, to get your modem to work you "installed" the Smartlink modem file you got from Ibiblio (where?), ran the modem wizard, then, running from the CD, rebooted Puppy? (I presume you really didn't need to restart the window manager. How did you do that, by the way? Ctrl-alt-backspace, then xwin?)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

Could you add your modem and any comments you feel are pertinent to the Wiki hardware list or post them here and I can add them.
Thanks.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

Walt,
I'm glad that you have got it working!
I had to set it up without having an actual SmartLink modem to test on.

The Smartlink driver is a Pupget package, slmodem-2.9.9-k2.4.29.
After downloading and installing it, you have to reboot, as the kernel modules are installed in /usr/lib/modules/slmodem/, and at bootup Puppy will automatically copy them to /lib/modules/2.4.29/slmodem/, where they are then available for modprobe to load.

Any of you fellow Aussie guys know about SmartLink modems for sale here in Australia? ...they have a usb modem that I would like to test, and the driver supplied with Puppy is supposed to handle both PCI and USB Smartlink modems.

Walt H

#5 Post by Walt H »

Flash wrote:That's great! :)

To review, to get your modem to work you "installed" the Smartlink modem file you got from Ibiblio (where?), ran the modem wizard, then, running from the CD, rebooted Puppy? (I presume you really didn't need to restart the window manager. How did you do that, by the way? Ctrl-alt-backspace, then xwin?)
As Barry said, I got the SmartLink pupget slmodem-2.9.9-k2.4.29 from the Puppy FTP site. I'm not in Puppy at the moment, but as I recall, the Help section did not specify rebooting (I may be wrong) but did say to restart the window manager, which I did from the Puppy Start menu (shutdown? > Restart FVWM).

I'm working from a bad memory here, but I think that Modem Wizard found nothing initially after installing the pupget. After restarting FVWM per what I thought were the instructions, the Modem Wizard indicated that a modem was found, but when I selected ttySL0 as the port, it failed as it found no irq assigned. Then I rebooted the machine, ran Modem Wizard again and success, although I didn't know that right away. It still indicated that no irq was assigned to ttySL0. I went ahead and tried my dialup anyway, and it worked. I think it took a couple of tries, but it did work.

The modem specs as best I know them are posted in another thread, I believe in this forum. (I'll look for them and add them here if I find them.) The modem is a PCI internal 56K faxmodem (I'm pretty sure).

The only comments I have are the following: 1) download the slmodem pupget, then copy it to a Puppy folder. It would not install for me from the Xandros folder I had downloaded it to. Instead it indicated that it wasn't an alien package or something like that. 2) Don't necessary take what Modem Wizard tells you as gospel. If you download the pupget, get it installed, reboot, run Modem Wizard, and configure a dialup connection, it should work. If it still does not work, you may then need to go into /etc/ppp and edit the modem initialization string. I think I changed my to 'ATZ.' I don't have volume when the modem dials, but I can see it is connected in Gkdial. I also set up a connection in Xeznet (correct spelling?), but I have not tried it yet. I do remember that with my old machine in 1.0.3, I actually had to set up that connection in order to get Gkdial to work. Odd, but true.

Now to research HD installation and perhaps dump Xandros once and for all!
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#6 Post by BarryK »

Hmm, yes, I probably do need to take another look at the whole process, as you did have to mess around a bit to get it going.

gbg

slmodem works fine now...

#7 Post by gbg »

...with my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Notebook! I've been waiting for this since puppy 1.02!!!

After downloading/installing the slmodem pupget and rebooting I have received a message in the modem wizard that no irq is assigned (like in prior versions of puppy)...ignoring this message I rebooted again (don't know why) and after that went straight to GK Dial where I typed in the details for a new account. Before hitting the "connect" button I went to /etc/ppp/chatscripts where I have changed the modem string to "ATZ" and BINGO: I'm writing this right now from puppy 1.05.

Thanx for the hint "Walt H" and to Barry for this great linux!

Cheers,
gbg

joecool

Samsung X10 notebook modem trouble

#8 Post by joecool »

Hi,
I'm new on this forum.
No luck so far with the smartlink softmodem in my samsung.
Followed the procedures suggested above, modem is recognized, get to the point where the thing dials out, but then it breaks off & dials again, saying "waiting for carrier", and, almost immediately afterwards, "no carrier".
Modem is identified as:
Bus 0 device 31 function 6
Intel Corp 82801DB AC'97 Modem Controller (rev.1)
8086:24c6

I've only got it working under SuSE Linux 9.1 (but that seems to be one of the worst versions ever to me, it feels really slow & stiff & clumsy), and there only under kinternet.

Is there any way to "export" the SuSE smartlink-softmodem v.2.9.6-79 rpm plus config-files & use these in Puppy 1.0.5? Or any other way? (I have a proper standalone hardware modem - but no serial port on the Samsung :-(.

This is kind of frustrating...

Any help much appreciated,

- joecool