pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
zigbert

#2021 Post by zigbert »

But it would really interest me why PBurn thinks that the "media is not formatted or unsupported" when I try to burn a DVD-R
Yes, it would! The first thing I would test is if pBurn works for iso-burning as burniso2cd. - Both are built around the same code.
Since I don't want to use a couple of DVD-Rs for testing
Will be hard to find the source of the trouble...

Sigmund

zigbert

#2022 Post by zigbert »

there is an attribute for test-burning. - not actually burn, but simulate the process. This option is not set in the pBurn gui, but has to be set manually in the 'Advanced' tab in the Burn option window.

Code: Select all

-use-the-force-luke=dummy 

zigbert

#2023 Post by zigbert »

What strikes my mind, is that the DVD-R disc might be initialized by another burner app. To get multisession burning work properly it is important to use the same settings for every burn-session. The easiest way is to use the same burner-app for one unique disc.
This is a known issue with burning in general. - not related to pBurn.

Sigmund

Omega

#2024 Post by Omega »

I tried the simulation but I can't get it to work.

I clicked on the "advanced" tab and activated "allow manual editing".

There's a long command line which can be editet:

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dummy notray -Z /dev/sr0 -f -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long -V \"pburn_project\" -p root -publisher \"Pburn\" -exclude-list /root/.pburn/tmp/exclude -graft-points -path-list=/root/.pburn/tmp/graft_points

I inserted the "dummy" directly after the = but it doesn't work.
How should the command line look like when done correctly?

zigbert

#2025 Post by zigbert »

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dummy -use-the-force-luke=notray -Z /dev/sr0 -f -iso-level 3 -D -R -J -joliet-long -V \"pburn_project\" -p root -publisher \"Pburn\" -exclude-list /root/.pburn/tmp/exclude -graft-points -path-list=/root/.pburn/tmp/graft_points

Omega

#2026 Post by Omega »

I did two tests (with a fresh DVD-R in the drive):

with burniso2cd
I tried to burn an ISO-file with burniso2cd. This fails with no messages. The DVD drive does nothing and the program asks if it should verify the disc. No data is written on the DVD.

with PBurn
I tried to burn the same ISO with (and without) the "dummy" option. This fails too.

When I use the dummy-option, the log file looks like this:

Pburn version 3.7.18

###################################################
   COMMAND:

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=dummy -use-the-force-luke=notray   -Z /dev/sr0="/mnt/home/slacko-5.5.70-SCSI.iso"

OUTPUT:
Executing 'builtin_dd if=/mnt/home/slacko-5.5.70-SCSI.iso of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
/dev/sr0: "Current Write Speed" is 1.0x1352KBps.
:-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT]: Wrong medium type
:-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
:-( write failed: Wrong medium type

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2027 Post by Flash »

I had similar troubles burning large files until I started copying them to /tmp first. How much RAM have you?

Omega

#2028 Post by Omega »

I have 512MB RAM (you asked that already on page#134).

The following observations speak against the RAM theory:

- I can burn such large files to CD-RW with no problems.
- I tried to burn two very small files (a *.txt and a *.bmp with 4KB or so) which fails with the same error messages
- the writing process fails BEFORE a single bit is written to the DVD

It seems the main problem is that burniso2cd and PBurn both think that the DVD-R in the drive is not a valid medium.

I tried two different DVD-R discs. After the Puppy Linux PC refuses to write, I took them to my DVD videorecorder and burned them both. The videorecorder has no problems recognizing and burning them.

The question is: Is it a bad drive that cannot recognize the media and reports "bad disc"? Or is it the DVD-R or is it the software?

And there we are at the beginning again. :-)

Semme

#2029 Post by Semme »

You have another distro you could try.. possibly one with K3b? As I pm'd, this might tell ya a thing or two..

Omega

#2030 Post by Omega »

@Semme: Basically this is a good idea. But to be honest, I'm not going to move heaven and earth to find out why the DVD-Rs don't work on that particular computer. I think I can live with it. Nonetheless... thanks for your ideas. :-)

Semme

#2031 Post by Semme »

That's fine. Not that I was following too closely but, did you ever mention the brands involved?

The version of genisoimage on 5.6.1? I'd maybe downgrade or try the /tmp trick Flash posted..

Omega

#2032 Post by Omega »

No. I never metioned the brands. The blank DVD-R are from "Real". (This is a department store chain in germany and they have their own label. Not sure if they are only in germany.)

The DVD-Drive is an internal drive in a notebook. It's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1300 notebook. Maybe they're using Toshiba drives or so. I'm currently sitting at another computer so I can't find out.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2033 Post by Flash »

Sorry, I didn't see your answer the first time I asked about RAM.

It sure sounds like the burner is the problem. About the only other thing I can think to do is update its firmware. I believe this mainly makes the burner recognize more kinds of media. Updating firmware can most likely only be done from within Windows, but there may be a way to do it from within Puppy. You'll have to find out the burner's make and model number (Menu -> System -> Hardinfo -> Storage) then go to the manufacturer's website and see how to update its firmware.

Omega

#2034 Post by Omega »

^ Yes, I guess so too. But honestly I don't want to go risk updating the firmware and having it brick. The most important feature of the drive is that it can read all kinds of media. And it can even write CD-R(W). That's not to be sneezed at.

For the DVD-R backup-thing I'll find another solution. I think an 8GB USB stick will be sufficient.

Thanks for all the help. :D

01micko

path with spaces fails

#2035 Post by 01micko »

Hello Sigmund

I have an issue burning my win7 image.

Here is the path (in a subdir with spaces :roll: )

/mnt/sda1/Users/Mick/Downloads/Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English)/en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso
The stock standard PBurn command to burn is this:

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray   -Z /dev/sr0=\"/mnt/sda1/Users/Mick/Downloads/Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English)/en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso\"
It fails. Pburn just quits with no error message. Immediately I suspected the space in the path.

If I change the command to

growisofs -use-the-force-luke=notray   -Z /dev/sr0='/mnt/sda1/Users/Mick/Downloads/Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 (x64) - DVD (English)/en_windows_7_professional_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676939.iso'
(replacing \" with ' ) it works as expected.

Thanks.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

zigbert

#2036 Post by zigbert »

Mick
It is not the spaces, but the ) and ( that makes trouble for gtkdialog.

The \" is not a part of the final burn-command, and I guess it will work for you with either ' or ".

I tried to detect the actual problem, but a simple script works as expected, so again it is probably bad pid-handling by me. I have made a workaround and documented it well inside the code. pBurn has a codebase I don't want to touch too much. I rewrite as little as possible when fixing bugs. - Since it is a hardware-related code it requires a lot of testing if I touch the core...

Will upload 4.0.4 soon, but I have to evaluate some input from gcmartin before next release.

Thank you for reporting
Sigmund

zigbert

#2037 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.0.4
See main post

Changelog
- Added some more multi-session info in the help-file. (thanks to gcmartin)
- Bugfix: Use signal "delete-event" instead of "hide" when exit gui (thanks to SFR)
- Bugfix: Allow burning isofiles with ) and ( in name. (Thanks to 01micko)

OscarTalks

#2038 Post by OscarTalks »

Some notes about pBurn in Dpup Wheezy

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=427
Attachments
pburnwz.jpg
pBurn 4.0.4 running in Dpup Wheezy
(77.63 KiB) Downloaded 317 times
Oscar in England

zigbert

#2039 Post by zigbert »

OscarTalks
Both pBurn and pMusic has quit using the Puppy specific gtkdialog binaries - gtkdialog1, gtkdialog2, gtkdialog3, gtkdialog4.
It only looks for gtkdialog. The reason:
1.) Troublesome when depending on a gtkdialog-compile from svn which not has got a Puppy specific numbering.
2.) It will (in my eyes) be logical to link gtkdialog to the most recent binary, and this will work for pBurn/pMusic.
3.) The Puppy-way of doing this is not required - how I see it.

Sigmund

zigbert

#2040 Post by zigbert »

Version 4.0.5 is uploaded
See main post

Changelog
- Adjust fontsize to fit 96dpi