[CLOSED]JWM Desktop Updates to V755(Release) and V910(Test)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
Jasper

#161 Post by Jasper »

Hi scsijon ,

I'm sorry to report that neither the clock nor the taskbar
errors are fixed here using Precise 5.6 and v815 Test.

My regards

scsijon

#162 Post by scsijon »

a new version 818 with fixes will appear later this morning that should at least fix one if not both problems.

Jasper

#163 Post by Jasper »

Hi scsijon,

Any news?

My regards

Addendum:

My question is withdrawn - I now see that
an update to v 819 is expected tomorrow.

scsijon

#164 Post by scsijon »

Jasper wrote:Hi scsijon,

Any news?

My regards

Addendum:

My question is withdrawn - I now see that
an update to v 819 is expected tomorrow.
yup, and it seems to have tested ok to all my listed problems to test against, as well.

Been stable now with joe for a week to, so unless problems ocurr from others it WILL be our new release version.

Now, back to that pesky doorway!

Jasper

#165 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

The minimisation/tray problem is fixed.

The Windows/Wine clock border is not.

My regards

session

JWM and ROX auto-resize

#166 Post by session »

When ROX-Filer auto-resizes a window, the window can appear below the bottom taskbar. This is recent, sometime after v777.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

scsijon

#167 Post by scsijon »

whole lot of fixes, v827 should appear sometime tonight after Fruits Basket is finished.

@session, your problem should have been fixed with 827, let me know if it didn't please.

scsijon

#168 Post by scsijon »

I was about to upload jwm v831 with a warning on permissions (a problem I found for puppy people) as I know a number of puppians are awaiting it when I found that joe has just updated to version 835. I will build and test and upload if ok tonight.

scsijon

Test Version 835

#169 Post by scsijon »

Test Version 835 is now loaded, I know there are a number awaiting it for fixes. Sorry, but I had a problem with my builder and had to eventually reinstall it to fix the problem.

As I say in my page 1 post, many languages are still wanted to add to joe's default JWM set, if you can help please consider doing it.

scsijon

#170 Post by scsijon »

v835 will become the release version when I have time to rebuild/repackage this coming week. For those already running the test version your ok as is, the changes only relate to major steps and platforms.

scsijon

#171 Post by scsijon »

just a little fyi:

It seems that joe has only one 'issue' left before JWM 2.2's milestone, and a release happens!

The issue is:
I've noticed a curious behavior when using the "show desktop" button on multiple desktops, windows are sometimes moved from one desktop to another.

Steps to reproduce, using default jwmrc:

Start jwm (we are on desktop "1")
Click the root menu and choose "terminal" (xterm opens)
Click the pager to switch to desktop "2"
Click the root menu and choose "terminal" (xterm opens)
Click the "show desktop" button (xterm is now minimized)
Click the pager to switch back to desktop "1"
Click the "show desktop" button

The xterm window that was on desktop #2 is now on desktop #1.
There is a patch to fix this awaiting his return, inclusion and testing, as he is away for a week or two at present.

That is unless some of you have not mentioned any stopper problems for me to put into his system!

session

...before JWM 2.2's milestone

#172 Post by session »

The Rox resize issue is fixed in 827 but back in 835.

I don't know if Joe should bother with this right before the milestone as it's so specific, but there is a focus issue after closing SoftMaker Office. To reproduce, open TextMaker, type something, and close the window. When prompted to save the document, click "no". Keybindings will not work until a new window is opened.

*edit* I've been running Precise-pup 5.7 for a few days now, and there is a similar focus problem with Opera, right-click --> close in the taskbar will disable keybindings.
[color=green]Primary[/color] - Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 571MB RAM, ATI Radeon 7000. Linux Mint 17 Qiana installed.
[color=blue]Secondary[/color] - Pentium 3 533MHz, 385MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 Pro ULTRA TF. Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Retro full install.

anikin

#173 Post by anikin »

Hi all,
can anyone, please help me with the icons in the tray:

I would like to set them apart a little bit - can't figure out how.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
icons.jpeg
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 704 times

L18L

icons in tray

#174 Post by L18L »

anikin wrote:...I would like to set them apart a little bit - can't figure out how. ...
Hope that helps
:D
Attachments
tray.png
(47.49 KiB) Downloaded 699 times

anikin

#175 Post by anikin »

The icons are cramped up - too close to each other (see attached image above).
Is there a way to add some space between them, or set them apart horizontally?
Here is my jwmrc-tray - anyone knows which line is doing that?

Code: Select all

<JWM>
	<Tray  autohide="true" insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" height="20" >

<!-- Additional TrayButton attribute: label -->
		<TrayButton label="Menu">root:3</TrayButton>

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>

<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>

<Dock/>

<!-- Additional Swallow attribute: height -->

<!--	<Swallow name="blinky">
			blinkydelayed -bg "#DCDAD5"
		</Swallow> -->

<!--	<Swallow name="xtmix-launcher">
			xtmix -launch
		</Swallow> -->

<!--	<Swallow name="asapm">
			asapmshell -u 4
		</Swallow> -->

<Clock format="%H:%M">minixcal</Clock>
	</Tray>
</JWM>
edit... looks like "insert="right" x="0" y="-1" border="1" should do that ... ?
Attachments
jwm835.jpeg
(18.67 KiB) Downloaded 593 times

scsijon

#176 Post by scsijon »

I'm not getting that anikin, mine are spaced ok, If L18l's reply doesn't help, what fontsize and buttonsize are you using?

I've a new jwm to build, but that's tonight's task.

anikin

#177 Post by anikin »

Font size is 10, the same as in menu items, button size unchanged, haven't touched it.
My question was (and still is) about setting apart the icons. L18L says that I should change the tray height. If you guys find that helpful, then I don't get it either. I'm not sure that yours, or anyone's icons in the tray are well spaced. Have a look at L18L's icons above and you will see that speaker and network icons are begging for space between them. Remove the left and right icons from the tray, as I have done, add an icon of your choice (see my pic) and they will move even closer to each other. On a 10' display as in my netbook this is a real issue. I'm aiming at volume control and get network setup instead.

joewing

#178 Post by joewing »

If you want space between TrayButton icons, you can use the "Spacer" tray component. For example:

Code: Select all

<TrayButton ... ></TrayButton>
<Spacer width="5"/>
<TrayButton ... >...</TrayButton>
I just realized that this wasn't documented online, but it is now.
Unfortunately, there is currently no way to put more space between items in a Dock component.

- Joe

anikin

#179 Post by anikin »

Hi Joe,
thank you for the explanation. Compared to the overall value of JWM, the issue isn't really that big. Not unmanageable, at least. Here's something else I'd like to share - a tiny wrinkle, or annoyance perhaps. When something is minimized to the tray, say browser, urxvt, geany and you move the mouse pointer near the tray, a small yellow popup comes up. And most of the time it stays there, even when the pointer is moved elsewhere. It becomes sort of sticky, a bit obtrusive. You need to place the pointer to the lower left or right corner to make it disappear. What I'm thinking is not how to solve this, but rather why this poupup is there in the first place. What does it show, that's not already evident when one looks at the minimized tray? Duplicates the names of the minimized items? Just a thought.

Thank you for your hard work. You have created something outstanding. In this noobs mind JWM is ingrained as a symbol of Linux. If I ever chose another distro in addition to Puppy, it will need to be able to run JWM.

Jasper

#180 Post by Jasper »

Hi anikin,

I have set my minimised apps with a fixed width of 25 pixels so only the app icon shows in my tray and there is no duplication.

Also, if you don't intend to reload an app, why hover over its tray icon and if you do want to reload it just click then move your cursor..

With the latest JWM version you can right click on the minimise button to shade an app and right click there again to unshade.

My regards