Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
bigpup

#41 Post by bigpup »

During development of Lucid Puppy, Gnome Mplayer was worked on, with a lot of troubleshooting and trying to make it work.
It was found that for most hardware, if the video is set to xv by default it will work OK. This setting also had these benefits.
1. it has higher quality
2. the DVD menus work better.

Some hardware will work better if it is set to X11.

Also, other settings in the Edit -> Preferences can be changed to tweak for support of specific hardware capabilities.

The other issue was what graphic driver was being used and what was it's capabilities.

In the end this was the warning note:
Possible Issue: If you have no video in gnome-mplayer please click the play icon on the desktop to open gnome-mplayer, then choose Edit -> Preferences, click the drop-down Video Output menu, and change to x11 (from xv). The video is set to xv by default because 1) it has higher quality, and 2) the DVD menus work better.
XineDVD program was added as the specific player for DVD movies.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

backi

#42 Post by backi »

Hi !
I am a bit confused ..... is Precise 5.7 the successor to 5.6.1 ??

ASRI éducation

#43 Post by ASRI éducation »

backi wrote:Hi !
I am a bit confused ..... is Precise 5.7 the successor to 5.6.1 ??
Yes, it is.
Cordialement,

Sage

#44 Post by Sage »

Amazingly fast boot up for retro of 45s from switch-on, including boot screen, on modest XP2200+/512M machine using FULL onto old 6G HD.

watchdog

Keyboard problems

#45 Post by watchdog »

My keyboard works in abiword and geany but not to write on the forum. I have not localization package. I have installed firefox 22.0 with my locale from firefox releases.

Edit: I rebooted after activating the box "Keyboard has usb interface" and now the keyboard works on the forum too. My keybord is external to a laptop.
Last edited by watchdog on Tue 30 Jul 2013, 12:37, edited 1 time in total.

backi

#46 Post by backi »

Hi watchdog !

I have to agree ..... there is something with my german keyboard .. does not work as usual but only (for me )in Chromium20 Browser....
. did some changes in countrysettings of the browser..now is working........almost .........still @ is now on another button.

Maybe one have to download and install specific langpack .

OscarTalks

#47 Post by OscarTalks »

The easiest way I have found to reproduce the keyboard layout bug is:-

Restart X Server
Open Geany
Type characters such as @ " # \

Perhaps other UK users at least would be so kind as to try this simple test.
Oscar in England

anikin

#48 Post by anikin »

OscarTalks,
awhile ago, I had some keyboard misbehaviour too, with at least two puppies, although it wasn't severe. I created "90-keyboard-layout.conf" like this:

Code: Select all

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "keyboard-all"
	MatchIsKeyboard "on"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
	Driver "evdev"
	Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
	Option "XkbLayout" "us,ru"
	Option "XkbOptions"  "grp:ctrl_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:rwin"
	Option "XkbVariant" ",winkeys" #xkbvariant0
	Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
EndSection
and put it in:
usr/share/x11/xorg.conf.d
My problem was, that in geany, I couldn't toggle keyboard layout, and that solved the issue for me (can't remember if I did something else). Just google for "90-keyboard-layout.conf" + your specific XkbOptions. What's important, as I understand it, this conf needs to be there in addition to xkb section of xorg.conf. So I have both.

Terryphi

#49 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:The easiest way I have found to reproduce the keyboard layout bug is:-

Restart X Server
Open Geany

Oscar:

I confirm the bug in Geany (but not any other program I have tried.) I am taking a look at geany.conf.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

cygnus_odile

/root/.Xdefaults has an unecpected space.

#50 Post by cygnus_odile »

Hellow, everyone, and Thanks to Mr Barry K. for your Puppy.
I've been using "Puppy" for long time (about 4yeras), and mainly Japanese edition.

In Recent Precise Puppy's "/root/.Xdefaults" has an unexpected space at the end of line 8.

Code: Select all

Rxvt.keysym.0xFF57: \033[4~ 
So pushing "END" key causes the Cursor to jump and gives an unexpected space at the end of line, when editing the command line or using a text-editor on Urxvt.

This point is corrected in Precise Puppy 550JP ( Mr. Shinobar's Japanese edition).

Dear Mr.Barry K. please delete it (a space) in .Xdefaults and .Xdefaults.back, in next release.

... ... thank you for reading my post through.

Terryphi

#51 Post by Terryphi »

Terryphi wrote:
OscarTalks wrote:The easiest way I have found to reproduce the keyboard layout bug is:-

Restart X Server
Open Geany

Oscar:

I confirm the bug in Geany (but not any other program I have tried.) I am taking a look at geany.conf.
This fixes Geany for UK keyboard:

/root/.conf/geany.conf

Line 66
Amend
pref_editor_default_encoding=ISO-8859-1
to
pref_editor_default_encoding=ISO-8859-15

Save file and restart X server. It may take a few tries to "stick". (I would have preferred to use UTF-8 but I could not get that to "stick".) This is a workaround but probably the bug is elsewhere because this amendment is not necessary in Racy/Wary.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

OscarTalks

#52 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Terryphi,

Thanks for taking a look. The bug still persists for me. What happens is that if you open Geany (or can be Leafpad or other program that you would type into), type something, then close it, once you open it a second time (or any other program) the layout problem has gone away. This may be why it appeared that it was only in Geany and not other programs.

If you restart X again (or reboot) then open any program the problem will be there again until you try to type and then close it.
Oscar in England

Terryphi

#53 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello Terryphi,

Thanks for taking a look. The bug still persists for me. What happens is that if you open Geany (or can be Leafpad or other program that you would type into), type something, then close it, once you open it a second time (or any other program) the layout problem has gone away. This may be why it appeared that it was only in Geany and not other programs.

If you restart X again (or reboot) then open any program the problem will be there again until you try to type and then close it.
Oscar, yes you are right. It does happen in the way you describe for many programs (including Leafpad and Firefox and Chromium from Ubuntu repositories.) but not all. For instance my Opera SFS does not show this behaviour. Maybe it is caused by a file that all these programs reference.

Sage

#54 Post by Sage »

Geany/Keboard/5.7/Full.
Interesting - it's more of a feature than a fault. I have an illuminated bni keyboard that I use for general testing. I used a marker pen to overwrite the @ " # \ symbols which were transposed " @ £ plus extra key for \|~, respectively. The bni compliance notice refers to Canada alone; I don't know anything else about it's origins.
I swapped this k/b with a regular UK one and the installation crashed. Rebooted, it made some changes and I rebooted again. Ignore X error message, got Error in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer/Puppy/Pin, go OK, old pinboard converted to new XML format OK gives single SDA1 icon lower left, CNTRL-Backspce + xwin - SDA1 and FD0, no other icons???? Everything appears to work from Menu, correct UK symbols for @"#\ appear as per (UK) keyboard.
Swap back to illuminated k/b, Geany, symbols revert to (Canadian?) keys as originally marked, but the desktop icons have disappeared again, just the HD and FD ones showing, not even the optical drive (IDE). Fiddled around with various icon handling utilities but nothing would bring them back.
Reinstalled FULL, availed of patch in PPM, set xv in Mplayer - all back as was with (Canadian?) key strokes in Geany.
All this is beyond my ambit. Just one mission critical matter - cannot get the £ symbol to show in Geany but UK regular key positions (overwritten on illuminated keyboard) in Abiword.
Having these issues? Try changing the keyboard?

Terryphi

#55 Post by Terryphi »

Seems to me Restart X server is resetting to default US keyboard layout but corrects itself to selected keyboard layout after any program receives keyboard input and is closed. Weird!

Sage

#56 Post by Sage »

Weird, indeed. In principle, all the keys can be re-mapped - I used to do it with that other OS. That was a long time ago; no idea how to do it in Linux. It may also be possible to obtain stick-on key logos or overlay cards although I've not seen them recently. Sometimes, new keyboards come with a spare/blank key. Got to be easier solutions, especially as keyboards can be had new for £2-3 rather than the IBM monstrosity at ~£120 some decades ago. How about the euro symbol? The £ symbol might come in useful...

tronkel

#57 Post by tronkel »

Oscar Talks wrote:
is anyone else having any issues with the keyboard layout?
Yep I've got the same problem. I think I had it Precise 5.6.1 also. There seems to be a problem with the Quick Setup first run settings - it's simply being ignored, so the keyboard layout has to be to be configured for a second time in the normal way, i.e. from the Puppy keyboard settings wizard. Then it works.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

OscarTalks

#58 Post by OscarTalks »

Well I have just looked at Precise Puppy 5.6.1 on 2 computers, one netbook and now posting from an HP Compaq Small Form Factor desktop and the bug does NOT happen for me in 5.6.1 so it would appear to be something which has crept in between 5.6.1 and 5.7 so hopefully that narrows it down a bit.
Oscar in England

Sage

#59 Post by Sage »

a problem with the Quick Setup first run settings - it's simply being ignore
- not too sure about that? I get perfect behaviour with Abiword but not Geany at all stages and conditions. There are lots of transatlantic keyboards buzzing around Europe and it's not always apparent because the £ symbol is often present when $ shows, and v.v.; also many non-standard layouts like my illuminated model, 'compact'/mini versions, ad inf. Not been a Geany fan, prefer gedit and mousepad, so not sure how long this has been going on.

Just tried Leafpad/illiuminated - only @ and " are interposed - the £ symbol is normal, as well as the remainder.
Gedit requires too many deps. to check it tonight - I'm busy!

PS. Any Brits needing a spare k/b - just let me know how many.

witekjeden

#60 Post by witekjeden »

I run live-cd retro version on my Maxdata Eco4010iw 512ram and system works quite good, thanks for new Precise. There is a little problem: can not to execute PeasyGlue and Pidgin with polish language. I guess the nls packages are not including into iso file because after installing pidgin_nls from Wary repo Pidgin works in polish.
Oooops, sorry. The langpack needs to upgrade.