Precise Puppy 5.7.1

Please post any bugs you have found
pchan

Re: What puppy did you use?

#101 Post by pchan »

gherico wrote:Are you using precise 5.7? just curious, have you tried to compile it from source? Or try to check the file permission of the executable.
Yes, I am using precise puppy 5.7. I downloaded the deb version and the installation went through ok just by clicking on the .deb file. The program was even listed in the program menu.

Maybe, it can only run in ubuntu and not in ubuntu based puppy, I don't know.

It is a pity because it is a very nice program to have if it can be made to run in puppy precise 5.7.

I will be able to watch video in one window and check up email in another window while both windows are tiled side by side.

The Xfce window manager / desktop environment has this feature. But "x-tile" claimed that most of the windows manager are supported (mate/lxde/openbox...)

simargl

#102 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

X Tile

#103 Post by L18L »

It is python

import sys, os, gettext, ctypes, ctypes.util, locale
import gtk, gconf
import __builtin__

# x-tile
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/x-tile", line 30, in <module>
import gtk, gconf
ImportError: No module named gtk
#

So nothing to compile
just import gtk :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: simargl fast faster :lol:

Billtoo

Precise Puppy 5.7

#104 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to a 4 gb flash drive, computer is an Acer
desktop pc.
video-info-glx 1.5.3 Fri 2 Aug 2013 on Precise Puppy 5.7.1 Linux 3.9.11 i686
0.0 VGA compatible controller:NVIDIA Corporation G98[GeForce 9300 GE](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610003u Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 9300 GE/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 319.32

Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
Core 0: @2500 1: @2500 MHz

571 test is working okay here.

EDIT: I ran pmusic for while and when I tried to shut it down it would pop right back up, the only way to quit pmusic is to restart x
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(45.45 KiB) Downloaded 1929 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Fri 02 Aug 2013, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#105 Post by OscarTalks »

Perhaps I could just give a mention to.....

New and improved (?) Chromium Browser

Version 30 (30.0.1568.0)
Runs sweeter than any of the previous versions I have tested
SUID sandbox is enabled
Even declares "Puppy Linux" version in "About" dialog

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=86501
Oscar in England

pchan

Re: X Tile

#106 Post by pchan »

L18L wrote:It is python

import sys, os, gettext, ctypes, ctypes.util, locale
import gtk, gconf
import __builtin__

# x-tile
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/x-tile", line 30, in <module>
import gtk, gconf
ImportError: No module named gtk
#

So nothing to compile
just import gtk :lol: :lol: :lol:

edit: simargl fast faster :lol:

wow!

I wish i could pretend to understand it all the importing.

But I must be honest and reveal my linux illiteracy. Is importing the same as searching in pakage manager and installing?

If not, could you guide this beginner step by step? eg: Step 1 : launch "terminal" step 2: type in "import something something "

step 3 : ???

enjoy x-tile! (always comforting to have this last line and to know that it can be done.)

(Now i wonder if x-tile is worth it because the last poster said that it didn't work so well for openbox. What about lxde? problem is there is no alternatives if i want to enjoy windows tiling. I might have to look for xfce or e17. But precise 5.7 feels so good.)

thanks!

666philb

#107 Post by 666philb »

pchan wrote: wow!

I wish i could pretend to understand it all the importing.

But I must be honest and reveal my linux illiteracy. Is importing the same as searching in pakage manager and installing?

If not, could you guide this beginner step by step? eg: Step 1 : launch "terminal" step 2: type in "import something something "

step 3 : ???

enjoy x-tile! (always comforting to have this last line and to know that it can be done.)

(Now i wonder if x-tile is worth it because the last poster said that it didn't work so well for openbox. What about lxde? problem is there is no alternatives if i want to enjoy windows tiling. I might have to look for xfce or e17. But precise 5.7 feels so good.)

thanks!
hi pchan,

first off you will need to install the devx.sfs http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/quir ... se_5.7.sfs right click on it and choose 'sfs load' to install

next open the PPM (puppy package manager) and type 'python-gtk' into the find box, and install 'python-gtk2_2.24.0-3'. be sure to click on the 'examine dependencies' button if prompted.

then type 'python-gconf' into the find box and install that.

x-tile should then work
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

L18L

#108 Post by L18L »

pchan wrote:...
thanks 666philb
my console wrote:# x-tile
WM = JWM
DEBUG warning _NET_WM_NAME improperly set by application
class xskat
DEBUG warning can't get PID _NET_WM_PID failed
Attachments
xtile.png
enjoy x-tile!
(10.99 KiB) Downloaded 15274 times

666philb

#109 Post by 666philb »

hmmm .... maybe it doesn't like jwm
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

pchan

#110 Post by pchan »

666philb wrote:
hi pchan,

first off you will need to install the devx.sfs http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/quir ... se_5.7.sfs right click on it and choose 'sfs load' to install

next open the PPM (puppy package manager) and type 'python-gtk' into the find box, and install 'python-gtk2_2.24.0-3'. be sure to click on the 'examine dependencies' button if prompted.

then type 'python-gconf' into the find box and install that.

x-tile should then work

Thanks 666philb,

I tried to do according to your guide. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. After installing pyton-gtk, my dialogue boxes became weired. All the fonts in the dialogue boxes became unreadable. They became a string of small boxes. Lukily, I had a backup save file. I have deleted the save file and use my backup save file.

Anyway, thanks. Hope there is a way to make x-tile work. If not, I hope that someone can put xfce windows manager for precise 5.7. If someone does that, precise 5.7 will be my main puppy since xfce already has the tiling feature built in.

I just feel good about precise 5.7. The booting speed has improved somehow. And there is a sense of stability and snappiness. Like good old puppy 4 again but better. I like it. Thanks to Barry K for giving us such a wonderful puppy.

meanwhile, x-tile appears to be an interesting and useful program to have if one is not using xfce.

Jim1911

#111 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Xsane cannot find my HP all-in-one. I have installed your hplip_scan-3.12.4.pet which has always been reliable.
I no longer have a copy of hplip_scan-3.12.4. But I tested the latest 3.13.7 in Precise and it worked fine, both with USB and wifi.
Using ppm, I uninstalled 3.12.4. Then installed your latest hplip_scan-3.13.7.pet. Xsane still cannot find my HP 5280.

rcrsn51

#112 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote: Xsane still cannot find my HP 5280.
Type the command "sane-find-scanner". Does this find your device?

If not, then the problem is hardware related.

Jim1911

#113 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:

Code: Select all

# sane-find-scanner
  # sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner.

found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0 [HP], product=0x5d11 [Photosmart C5200 series]) at libusb:002:002

# 
Xsane scan reports no devices available.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#114 Post by BarryK »

Precise 5.7.1 released, see my blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00346
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Jades

#115 Post by Jades »

rcrsn51 wrote:

Sadly that isn't always the case, my Netgear WN111v2 wireless dongle being a classic example. Works first time all the time in WinXP SP3, performance in Puppy varies considerably dependent upon the bundled firmware and kernel versions. It was fine on Lupu releases right up to and including 528, but I had all sorts of problems with other official Puppy releases that succeeded Lupu.

Performance on Precise 5.6 was woefully sub-standard, to the extent that I decided not to bother with Precise Puppy at all, however when I was briefly testing Precise 5.7 Retro with the Pentium D and the aforementioned dongle things seem to have improved.Oddly, Upup Raring 3.8.7 and 3.9.9.1 by Pemasu have been fine, whereas Barry's Raring builds also had problems.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

MikeF

#116 Post by MikeF »

@Jim1911 , I've always seen mounting 'pecularities' in Puppy and have come to tolerate them. :wink:

For instance, on my multiboot system Puppy complains about 'hibernated' NTFS partitions even though I don't have them automounted in /etc/fstab - an obscurely documented behavior.

I've also come to believe that Windows doesn't always flush delayed writes to disk before hibernating. This results in Linux inadvertently corrupting the NTFS partition that I choose to write to. Therefore, I shutdown Windows instead before mounting shared NTFS partitions RW under Linux.

A Puppy specific wierdness is that defining static mounts of NTFS partitions in fstab usually fails with an error message - I have yet to find a good explanation. Running the mount command at the command line works.

BTW - loud applause :D for fixing a wierd networking bug in v5.6 that I never resolved. SNS would never restore my wired network access at startup - I had to connect manually each session. Working fine now!

rcrsn51

#117 Post by rcrsn51 »

Jim1911 wrote:Xsane scan reports no devices available.
Check the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. Is the line "hpaio" being written to the end of it?

Jim1911

#118 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Jim1911 wrote:Xsane scan reports no devices available.
Check the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf. Is the line "hpaio" being written to the end of it?
Yes, "hpaio" is present.

rcrsn51

#119 Post by rcrsn51 »

@jim1911: From the command line, run "scanimage -L"

Then run

export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128
export SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=255
xsane
This will dump a bunch of messages, but it might say something useful.

Jim1911

#120 Post by Jim1911 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@jim1911: From the command line, run "scanimage -L"

Then run

export SANE_DEBUG_DLL=128
export SANE_DEBUG_HPAIO=255
xsane
This will dump a bunch of messages, but it might say something useful.
"scanimage -L" identifies the proper scanner, however, setting the debug codes and running "xsane" goes thru a ream of different printers and the installed browsers, however, the HP5200 series doesn't appear to be checked at all.