Installed GPG encryption, how to invoke?

Using applications, configuring, problems
Cowhand

Installed GPG encryption, how to invoke?

#1 Post by Cowhand »

Using the latest Puppy, I apparently have GPG installed, but am unable to invoke it. Changing into the directory:
/usr/local/gnupg/bin as was detailed in the instructions, the LS comand shows:

gpg gpgsplit gpgv

So far so good, but any attempt to call gpg with either gpg --help,
gpg -e returns a "bash:gpg command not found" message.

My main purpose in starting to use Puppy was to be able to carry sensitive files with me, which I have encrypted using gpg in SuSE.
If I can find out how to invoke gpg in Puppy, my next task will be to import my keyring from SuSE on my hard disk (if I can find it) javascript:emoticon(':roll:')

#2 Post by Guest »

add /usr/local/gnupg/bin to PATH

either edit /etc/profile or add it to /etc/profile.local

in /etc/profile.local, you could put

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/gnupg/bin

then reboot

Johnny Reb

Re: Installed GPG encryption, how to invoke?

#3 Post by Johnny Reb »

Cowhand wrote:Using the latest Puppy, I apparently have GPG installed, but am unable to invoke it. Changing into the directory:
/usr/local/gnupg/bin as was detailed in the instructions, the LS comand shows:

gpg gpgsplit gpgv

So far so good, but any attempt to call gpg with either gpg --help,
gpg -e returns a "bash:gpg command not found" message.

My main purpose in starting to use Puppy was to be able to carry sensitive files with me, which I have encrypted using gpg in SuSE.
If I can find out how to invoke gpg in Puppy, my next task will be to import my keyring from SuSE on my hard disk (if I can find it) javascript:emoticon(':roll:')
Sorry I didn't catch your message eariler, but I've not been on the forum for a few days. You were doing everything correctly except that you should have input the command like this ./gpg
I'll past in the output from a terminal so that you can get an idea about how it should appear.

bash-3.00# cd /usr/local/gnupg/bin
bash-3.00# ./gpg -e ~/my-documents/readme.txt
You did not specify a user ID. (you may use "-r")

Current recipients:

Enter the user ID. End with an empty line:

I hope that clears things up some. When I compiled GnuPG, I installed it into it's on directory instead of the default for the purpose of makeing a dotpup. It works just as well in it's on directory except that you have to cd into the /usr/local/gnupg/bin directory and use the ./ command to invoke it. If you happen to be using Mozilla mail or Thunderbird as your email client they both have GUI frontends for it, and you don't have to use the terminal for email messages. I have tried several times to compile GPA and a couple of other graphical frontends for GPG, but have had no luck to date. If I can get one of them to compile I'll post a dotpup for it.

The story is told that shortly after Nikita Khrushchev was made leader of the Soviet Union, he was addressing a large audience on the iniquities of Joseph Stalin when suddenly a voice shot out from the back of the hall: "You were one of his colleagues, why didn't you stop him?" Glaring round the crowded hall, Khrushchev bellowed: "Who said that?" No one moved in the awful silence that followed. "WHO said that!" Still not a man moved. And when the tension had become unbearable, Khrushchev quietly said: "Now you know why."
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

Cowhand

Gnupg clarification

#4 Post by Cowhand »

Thank you for your followup. In the interim, I discovered that I had neglected to invoke Gnupg correctly with the ./ and then adding to the path was easy. However, I am still not all of the way to my goal.

I had encrypted a number of files when I was in SuSE with Gnupg.
I "exported" both the "public.key" and the "private.key" and copied them to the flash card. So far so good. However, using "import" from Gnupg on Puppy only seems to have imported the "public" key???
When trying to decrypt a test file that I had encrypted with my private key in SuSE, I receive this result:
gpg: can't open /root/my-documents/tmp/temp_test.txt.pgp
gpg: decrypt_message failed:file open error

--list-keys gives me a pub key and a sub key correctly, but
--list-secret-keys just goes to the next prompt, listing nothing

There is some portion of my brain that is not working.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Johnny Reb

Re: Gnupg clarification

#5 Post by Johnny Reb »

Cowhand wrote:Thank you for your followup. In the interim, I discovered that I had neglected to invoke Gnupg correctly with the ./ and then adding to the path was easy. However, I am still not all of the way to my goal.

I had encrypted a number of files when I was in SuSE with Gnupg.
I "exported" both the "public.key" and the "private.key" and copied them to the flash card. So far so good. However, using "import" from Gnupg on Puppy only seems to have imported the "public" key???
When trying to decrypt a test file that I had encrypted with my private key in SuSE, I receive this result:
gpg: can't open /root/my-documents/tmp/temp_test.txt.pgp
gpg: decrypt_message failed:file open error

--list-keys gives me a pub key and a sub key correctly, but
--list-secret-keys just goes to the next prompt, listing nothing

There is some portion of my brain that is not working.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You've got me on this one. I've copied the man pages from GnuPG which deal with key import, and will paste them in below. Hopefully there will be something in there that will help. I'd suggest setting up Thunderbird as your email client because it's got a very good graphical front end for GnuPG, Enigmail, which installs as an extension/plugin, and it might simplify some aspects of working with GnuPG. I'm using Thunderbird, and with Pizzasgood's pupbegone dotpup, I've removed Slypheed from my system. Enigmail also works with the email client built into the Mozilla that comes with Puppy. I'm going to continue to work on compiling GPA since it would make working with GnuPG a lot eaiser for someone not interested in using Thunderbird or Mozilla mail, but I don't have any idea how long it will be before I get it done. Anyway, here's section of the man page that deals with importing keys:

.IP "\-\-export [\fBnames\fR]" 10
Either export all keys from all keyrings (default
keyrings and those registered via option \-\-keyring),
or if at least one name is given, those of the given
name. The new keyring is written to stdout or to
the file given with option "output". Use together
with \-\-armor to mail those keys.
.IP "\-\-send-keys [\fBnames\fR]" 10
Same as \-\-export but sends the keys to a keyserver.
Option \-\-keyserver must be used to give the name
of this keyserver. Don't send your complete keyring
to a keyserver \- select only those keys which are new
or changed by you.
.IP "\-\-export-secret-keys [\fBnames\fR]" 10
.IP "\-\-export-secret-subkeys [\fBnames\fR]" 10
Same as \-\-export, but exports the secret keys instead.
This is normally not very useful and a security risk.
The second form of the command has the special property to
render the secret part of the primary key useless; this is
a GNU extension to OpenPGP and other implementations can
not be expected to successfully import such a key.

See the option \-\-simple-sk-checksum if you want to import such an
exported key with an older OpenPGP implementation.
.IP "\-\-import [\fBfiles\fR]" 10
.IP "\-\-fast-import [\fBfiles\fR]" 10
Import/merge keys. This adds the given keys to the
keyring. The fast version is currently just a synonym.
.IP "" 10
There are a few other options which control how this command works.
Most notable here is the \-\-keyserver-option merge-only option which
does not insert new keys but does only the merging of new signatures,
user-IDs and subkeys.
.IP "\-\-recv-keys \fBkey IDs\fR" 10
Import the keys with the given key IDs from a keyserver. Option
\-\-keyserver must be used to give the name of this keyserver.
.IP "\-\-refresh-keys [\fBkey IDs\fR]" 10
Request updates from a keyserver for keys that already exist on the
local keyring. This is useful for updating a key with the latest
signatures, user IDs, etc. Calling this with no arguments will
refresh the entire keyring. Option \-\-keyserver must be used to give
the name of the keyserver for all keys that do not have preferred
keyservers set (see \-\-keyserver-option honor-keyserver-url).
.IP "\-\-search-keys [\fBnames\fR]" 10
Search the keyserver for the given names. Multiple names given here
will be joined together to create the search string for the keyserver.
Option \-\-keyserver must be used to give the name of this keyserver.
.IP "\-\-update-trustdb" 10

Sorry about the formatting of the above, but I had to open the man page gpg.1 through rox using the open as text option to get at it. You sould have the same man pages located at /usr/local/gnupg/man/man1 and you can open it as text through rox.

"As to my own position, I hope to see the Union preserved by granting the South the full measure of her constitutional rights. If this can not be done, I hope to see all the Southern States united in a new confederation and that we can effect a peaceable separation. If both of these are denied us, I am with Arkansas in weal or woe. I have been elected and hold a commission of captain of the Volunteer Rifle Company of this place and I can say for my company that if the Stars and Stripes become the standard of a tyrannical majority, the ensign of a violated league, it will no longer command our love or respect but will command our best efforts to drive them from our state. I am with the South in life or in death, in victory or in defeat...... I believe the North is about to wage a brutal and unholy war on a people who have done them no wrong, in violation of the Constitution and the fundamental principles of government. They no longer acknowledge that all government derives its validity from the consent of the governed. They are about to invade our peaceful homes, destroy our property, and inaugurate a servile insurrection, murder our men and dishonor our women. We propose no invasion of the North, no attack on them, and only ask to be left alone." ~
Major General Patrick Cleburne, Arkansas, C.S.A.

"If this cause, that is dear to my heart, is doomed to fail, I pray heaven
may let me fall with it, while my face is toward the enemy and my arm
battling for that which I know is right." ~ Major General Patrick Cleburne, Arkansas, C.S.A. before his fatal wound at the battle of Franklin, Tenn.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
~ Thomas Paine

mguhlin

KGPG

#6 Post by mguhlin »

how does one get a graphical interface to GPG going? I'm accustomed to KGPG and hope to see something similar implemented on Puppy...has it been, and perhaps, I've missed it being a newcomer to Puppy 2.10?

With appreciation,
Miguel Guhlin
http://www.mguhlin.net/blog

MU

#7 Post by MU »

you can use a file, that stores other files similar to the way Puppys pup_save.3fs does.
(it is mounted as a virtual harddrive).

This file is encrypted with bcrypt.

Very simple to use with a small grafical interface:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?p=71101#71101

Mark

PaulBx1

#8 Post by PaulBx1 »